Fram EG with silicone ADBV pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a thread on these new EG filters here:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4538337/1

I did not want to open a 4 month old post so I made this new one. I found the new Fram PH7317 for my Honda at Rural King today, it is the first I have seen of the orange can with a silicone ADBV. Cost is $3.99.

The box says it has "New Improved Protection" and "Extended Performance":

They also had the TG and Ultra, either one for $7.99:

They had Prime Guard filters for $1.99 each but not as big a selection as they had in Fram, and they had a few AC Delco filters too. I was glad to finally find my PH7317 with a silcone ADBV and at a great price too.

My wife and I had to stop by Walmart on the way home and out of curiosity I checked the oil filters there, none of the orange Frams had the new ADBV yet. In fact, their selection was pretty bare, not many orange Frams on the shelf at all. Maybe they are trying to sell off all their old stock before putting these new ones out. If that really is what WM is doing, I bet the price will go up higher than their current $3.77.

I am glad to see these new EG Fram filters available now. Hopefully they will be in all stores soon. I have no idea why my pics are sideways here, I tried to correct it, no joy.

Thanks for the post. Interesting that the TG and Ultra are same price.

I wonder if the "old" Extra Guard will go on clearance at Walmart?
If they go for $1, I will grab some just for the heck of it.

Is that oil some of the $2/qt oil?

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Thanks for the post. Interesting that the TG and Ultra are same price.

I wonder if the "old" Extra Guard will go on clearance at Walmart?
If they go for $1, I will grab some just for the heck of it.

Is that oil some of the $2/qt oil?

Yeah, it was $2.19 per quart for the Harvest King synthetic. $12.75 is not bad at all for a synthetic oil change and filter with good media and a silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I have no idea why my pics are sideways here, I tried to correct it, no joy

They are sideways on my laptop running Win 7,
but straight on my iPhone with Safari...?!?!?

Haven't been able to figure out the sideways pic thing either.

Once the silicone EG comes here I think I might run those. I presume it'd be the same ADBV design as the TG?

Wal-Mart stores in this area have the new design Extra Guard with silicone ADBV for most applications, though there are some older ones left on the shelf selling at the same price so buyer beware. Just look for new packaging and double check the box contents. I noticed the packaging now mentions extended service intervals and I don't think it says anything about 5,000 miles any more (which makes sense with many cars now pushing extended intervals - especially those with oil life monitors).

The silicone ADBV improves the value of the Extra Guard by addressing the biggest drawback to most cheaper filters. Not all stores carry the Tough Guard filters and the prices on Tough Guards recently went up so I'm glad to see these changes to the Extra Guard. I have considered switching to the Extended Guard, but can't go past 7,500 miles while under warranty so it is hard to justify the extra cost.

Yeah it should be... I have gotten two Fram extra guard filters with the silicone ADBV. The price gas not changed. $3.77 for the 7317 and $4.64 for the 6607. The orange can will be my oil filter I am running with most of the time going forward. The STP XL filters or the Wix filters I get with oil change deals will be used for the lady's Camry or friends vehicles that I change the oil in.

I saw EGs at Walmart with a gray colored ADBV. Wondering if those are also silicone - I'd think so. Anyone else see the gray ADBV?

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Once the silicone EG comes here I think I might run those. I presume it'd be the same ADBV design as the TG?

I don't think they'll ever be my first choice.

"Yeah, the EG is good - - -
but for just a couple dollars more......."

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
good for fram, now put in metal end cap while at it, then that would be a solid oil filter for the price. Thank for pix op

No, please don't! Rigid metal end caps + paper media = Tearolator!

The pic is sideways because its not a perfect square box. Tall rectangles taken from a phone rotate sideways for some reason. I just bought a TG for the truck. The TG was $6.64, the XG is 8.97. It would appear prices are set by location and the filter model. (not all XG or TG are the same price)

I have it on pretty good authority that Jan 1 everything was switched over, so the pipe line should be filling up pretty soon...

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
good for fram, now put in metal end cap while at it, then that would be a solid oil filter for the price. Thank for pix op

That would be the (now discontinued) Frampion lines such as Carquest Blue and Mobil 1 (before the "A" suffix was added)-great filters, but no longer made with the breakup of Fram & Champion.

I wanna see one of these babies cut open. Extended performance? Maybe they gave it the TG media, if that's the case, why keep the TG? Just have this and the XG to simplify things a bit!

still would not use that junk fram OCOD

Then don't. Nobody is forcing you to.

Others have learned that Fram has fixed the issues (real or imaginary) they had over a decade ago with the Extraguard.

With the Silicone ADV added now, the Orange Can Of Delight is now a filter on my list. I don't really see a reason to buy a Tough Guard anymore. the 95% @ 20 microns for the OCOD vs 99% of the TG is not worth 2x the price IMO.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Then don't. Nobody is forcing you to.

Others have learned that Fram has fixed the issues (real or imaginary) they had over a decade ago with the Extraguard.

With the Silicone ADV added now, the Orange Can Of Delight is now a filter on my list. I don't really see a reason to buy a Tough Guard anymore. the 95% @ 20 microns for the OCOD vs 99% of the TG is not worth 2x the price IMO.

But at Walmart it isn't twice the price for the TG its about $2 and change. I believe the EG is only rated for 5K.

I'm surprised Fram hasn't updated their site with these new Extra Guard filters?
http://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products/oil-filters/fram-extra-guardsup-sup-oil-filter/

Still reads Nitrile anti drain back valve?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back