Engine noise ..help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day to all
Today i changed my engine oil, but i notice after the change my engine is more noisy.
I used valvoline maxlife before, and now im using a local store brand oil.
SHould i be worried and dump this current fill?

Given your location I wouldn't worry about it but seeing it probably doesn't see much high speed use I would probably go with a xw30 or xw40 next time.

Might actually be the oil filter and not the oil Did you switch filters? Sometimes new oil is slightly louder to me and then it quiets down after a couple hundred miles.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Might actually be the oil filter and not the oil Did you switch filters?

I have seen *ONE* bad filter in my life that had 0% oil flowing through it. Huge manufacturing flaw, that one....

Wait about 1000kms and see how it is. Every time I change oil it seems my car takes awhile to get used to the new oil and quiet down.

Wht is the local store brand?

Does it have the sae starburst on it?

Some off brands advertize themselfs as a particular oil when they are not. The API symbol and starburst are good things to start looking at closely. Rating SN or SM. Id you see “compatable with SN rated oil”. Run.

This is a good site to check for that

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex

I have seen *ONE* bad filter in my life that had 0% oil flowing through it. Huge manufacturing flaw, that one....

I mean the oil filter is probably just fine...but sometimes different oil filters make engines sound differently. I.E. on my Liberty, Fram Ultras make it a bit noisier/clickly but Fram TG and Wix ones work just fine.

Lube Guards biotech will add some esters and moly that may quiet it down if you want to consider an additive. Most additives I wouldn't touch, but the science behind this one is solid. Poor man's redline.

Was the filter changed and what brand filter did you put on? In cases like this it’s the filter especially if it’s a generic offbrand.

Yup, why take a chance on a $3000 engine, when new oil is $20 ... Go back to Valvoline.

Do a new filter of different MFG. WIX would be nice, but what can you get?

The oil could be counterfeit. Its a real problem no joke. Was the cap properly sealed? Like others have said check PQI.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Given your location I wouldn't worry about it but seeing it probably doesn't see much high speed use I would probably go with a xw30 or xw40 next time.

Happy birthday, Trav, buried in a random thread, as all my birthday wishes are!

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I mean the oil filter is probably just fine...but sometimes different oil filters make engines sound differently. I.E. on my Liberty, Fram Ultras make it a bit noisier/clickly but Fram TG and Wix ones work just fine.

Interesting you say this..I think the fram ultra I put on my Dad's 2016 5.0 f150 made his engine sound louder.
Guess I should stick a wix on it. I was using motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back