Another T-stat Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to replace a T-stat(2006 Honda Civic EX with 198K) and OEM is between $30-$35, while AAP has stant and similar ones for less than $10.

I looked at this thread and seems many people are suggesting stant/motorad(https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1968403&page=all)

Question is, is that much $$ difference worth it or no? Also, there are some 'Tama' brand T-stats on ebay too(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Tama-Thermostat-Made-in-Japan-19301-PZA-305/251512991496?hash=item3a8f57af08:g:GcQAAOSwd4tUGiBJ&vxp=mtr), which are Made in Japan. Has anyone heard of them?

Thanks for all the help
thumbsup2.gif

P.S: I believe OEM is 180.

Please dont! At 180k i swapped my tstT for a generic from oreilly and although it worked
The physical design did not allow it to sit right and it constantly leaked, A LOT.

Went and got a genuine toyota thermostat with toyota gasket and problem solved
Certain critical hardware it is best to go OEM
I believe the thermostat is one

My opinion though...

Oreilly tstat was about $12 (murray if im not mistaken)
Toyota genuine was about $28
Worth it...

Last edited:
Mine in my Frontier failed in the closed position (or didn't open until the temperature was much hotter than it was designed to open at). Briefly overheated the engine and blew the gasket out on the water pump. Was at about 180k miles if I recall correctly.

Just bought a Nissan Frontier with a [censored] parts store thermostat installed. It failed closed and overheated the car. Am now waiting for my OEM Nissan thermostat to come in the mail.

OEM. It's worth it. Yeah, it's probably made by one of the other big names BUT that doesn't mean it's made to the same spec as OEM.

USE THE HONDA!

If there were any changes/updates due to flaws or failure prone issues, HONDA will have done them.

For example(different car) however, when I replace the T-Stat in my daughter's '06 Mazda3, I used the new updated Mazda3 T-Stat($65) from the dealer. This one had the updates to the T-Stat that the aftermarket DID NOT. There was an issue causing the OE to stick closed causing a CEL/code, and Mazda made updates to it and the aftermarket units DID NOT. For $35 you'll be happier that you did.

Last edited:
Honestly, OEM Tstats are the first item you learn about doing right.

A Stant from AAP (we were upstate) didn't even fit. It rubbed against the engine's casting.

Shameless liars who purport those parts as OK.

I learned more than once unfortunately over the years the only way to go is OE when it comes to thermostats. I got tired of hit or miss thermostats I bought from parts stores. Just because a company like Stant might make thermostats for OE use doesn't mean the Stant part you get from a parts store is the same as OE. I'd rather pay a little more and hedge my bet by not risking having to do the job twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back