R.I.P. Dan Gurney

Status
Not open for further replies.
frown.gif

I remember reading a story of him racing a Chevy Impala at Silverstone in Great Britain, and leading the Jags and Astons until a wheel failed. Would love to have seen that!

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
I remember reading a story of him racing a Chevy Impala at Silverstone in Great Britain, and leading the Jags and Astons until a wheel failed. Would love to have seen that!

One of the coolest things he did was the Sunday after winning the 1967 24 Hours of Le Mans in a GT40 Mk.IV with AJ Foyt, he won the Belgian Grand Prix in his own Eagle T1G. It was the first and currently only time the Star Spangled Banner has been the only anthem played on a F1 podium since both the driver and constructor were American.

He also is credited with being the first person to spray champagne on the podium.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Did Dan ignore his Doctors suggestion to get a pneumonia shot?

What an idiot. He was 86 & in declining health. He had a lot of class and was very humble unlike you.
They don't make them like him anymore. Sad he is gone

R.I.P Dan was a good man, I used to see him often at the local canyon riding pit stop spot in riverside county in the late 90's thru 2008. He was easily the coolest old man riding motorcycles in the canyons. I grinded a knee with him many times. You will be missed!

Originally Posted By: 928
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Did Dan ignore his Doctors suggestion to get a pneumonia shot?

What an idiot. He was 86 & in declining health. He had a lot of class and was very humble unlike you.
They don't make them like him anymore. Sad he is gone

5 posts. You’ll never have a better one. Thank you, and welcome Sir.

They don't make 'em like they used to, and probably never will again.

Even when the desire is there, the circumstances now are often just too hard to overcome to allow for successful multi-disciplinary drivers like in the past, never mind one who had the engineering savvy on top of that. And to do it all with class and grace.

RIP indeed.

My first large spectator event as a young teenager was the 6 hours on Saturday, Can-Am race on Sunday, at Watkins Glen in 1970. Dan drove a McLaren M8D along with Denny Hulme. You could buy a garage pass, and wander around for hours, access was much greater in that time period. Dan was a true gentleman, driving a fierce machine that was the fastest road racing machine on the planet at that time. I will never forget the impression that was made on me that weekend.
R.I.P. Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back