Caller ID spoofers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting calls almost daily from Auto Warranty National , and (Iron Clad auto warranty) scammers. Caller ID always shows different number (often faking a local number). I let my call blocker, block them, but these auto warranty scammers are sure annoying. next thing the fake IRS scumbags will start calling since it is close to tax time. I might just mess with them if they call me again... not that it helps to reduce the calls, but I figure the longer I can string em along the less time they will have to try and scam someone else. Seems to me that the phone companies should have the technology to stop these scammers, but wont because they make lots of money also from the millions of calls these scammers make every year. Lots of You tube videos of these scammers being Owned and exposed for the frauds and fools that they are. Sad that many people fall for these scams.

I tried the "messing with them" thing...would keep them on the line as long as possible until I revealed my new car warranty needs were for a 57 Studebaker. As fun as it was...it made the calls way more frequent. Like some algorithm interpreted the extended time as a hooked fish.

If it's your mobile device,many carriers have some kind of spam thing (I use T-Mo) or if it's feasible for you, just set your phone to block all calls not in your contact list.

I have OOMA (VOIP) premier, one time charge of $80 for OOMA telo and only $15 a month after that with free long distance. With premier you have very extensive call blocking capabilities and NomoRobo is also free to use. Tons of other features also. Very happy with the service, my robocalls have dropped from 2-3 a day to only a couple a week.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
If it's your mobile device,many carriers have some kind of spam thing (I use T-Mo) or if it's feasible for you, just set your phone to block all calls not in your contact list.

AT&T has Call Protect and wow does it work well! I hardly ever get spam calls anymore and the calls the system believes are fraudulent, it just blocks.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1147710

Originally Posted By: wwillson
Originally Posted By: PiperOne

AT&T has Call Protect and wow does it work well! I hardly ever get spam calls anymore and the calls the system believes are fraudulent, it just blocks.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1147710

We have a "No Call" thingy up here in Canada and it worked, somewhat, for a while, but the scammers have circumvented it and it's back to business as usual it seems.
mad.gif

I know the CRTC could be doing more as well, but their likely too busy dealing with other, more important issues.
crackmeup2.gif

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4623023/Phone_and_computer_scams,_post#Post4623023

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I might just mess with them if they call me again... not that it helps to reduce the calls, but I figure the longer I can string em along the less time they will have to try and scam someone else.

And their revenge on you will be to sell your number to every spammer in the world as a "live" one.

There is a cure for this....if people want to take drastic measures.
Make every phone call a 900 or 976 number. ANYBODY calling me puts $.05 or $.10 in to my account. An account that puts hard, cold cash in my possession. It wouldn't be a rebate or a "percentage off" on my bill, it would be cash. To somebody who says that this process could be spoofed, I say that if no money would hit my account, the ringer wouldn't activate. If a make a call or receive a call from somebody on my contact list, a nickle or a dime won't hurt me a bit. But if some spammer makes 100,000 calls a day, it will make them take notice, unlike some stupid Do Not Call law that has no punishment to it.
Of course, nobody really wants that drastic of a measure and it'll never become law. So I simply don't answer any calls and only return calls that leave a message.
It gets pretty bad when I receive a call on my own phone from my own phone number, an obvious spoof.

I had someone call me and ask why I had just called them a few minutes earlier. They claimed to have my phone number on their caller ID.
I had not used my phone at all that day. It must have been some lowlife spoofer we concluded.
The phone companies should do more to block and charge spoofers.

Originally Posted By: irv
We have a "No Call" thingy up here in Canada and it worked, somewhat, for a while, but the scammers have circumvented it and it's back to business as usual it seems.
mad.gif

Yes, they just spoof whatever phone number they want. They have an area code for Manitoba, yet claim they work for Microsoft, and can barely speak a word of English.

Nomore robo is not offered by our landline carrier Windstream. My blocker blocks them, but still the phone rings once before the blocker kicks in. I sometimes overide the block and messwith them depending on my mood I have as a cell ATT samsung S7 phones and use a call blocker app.The cell used to not get any calls but now get 2-3 a week so these scum are targeting cell phones too now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back