Fram Ultra restict flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Genesis Coupe 2L turbo I am using Mobil 1 0w40 and a Fram XG3593A filter. That filter is just a bit bigger than the Fram XG9688 which is the recommended filter. I have about 12k miles on the filter, second oil change for it.

I don't usually drive the car in the extreme cold but did last night at 5F. The oil pressure peaked at 74psi at around 3000 rpm and would not go higher. This is cold or hot (180F) oil.

In the past I have seen upper 80's usually at redline, 7500 rpm.

I was surprised that at 3k rpm and cold oil it peaked so low. I'm guessing the oil pump is seeing higher pressure and bypassing?

Why aren't you using the recommended filter?

Is this something new for the filter? Maybe it's getting clogged and bypassing?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Why aren't you using the recommended filter?

Is this something new for the filter? Maybe it's getting clogged and bypassing?
It's the second oil change on the filter for a total of around 12k miles currently. It is something new for the car. I had higher oil pressure last summer with it.

Not a whole lot of difference between the XG9688 and the XG3593A. Just a little bit longer. I usually run the XG9688 but bought one of the other to use and cut open.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I doubt very much it restricted any flow it was very likely in bypass.
If the filter was in bypass on hot oil would that not mean it is too restrictive?

BTW that TSB was put out because Hyundai shipped the first year 2L turbos out with 5w20 oil.

SHOZ
I referring to the TSB I pasted on my above reply. It doesn’t talk about what brand filter you should use.

XG9688
XG3593A

The only way I'd run the larger filter is if the base gasket size was the exact same size as the specified filter. That way the only difference would be the length of the filter. Your selection doesn't match up which introduces all kinds of variables into the mix. If the substitute filter is affecting the flow rate, which of the differences is having the affect? You've got a difference in overall length, overall diameter, base gasket dimensions, and by-pass valve setting. Kind of spooky.

Originally Posted By: MParr
SHOZ
I referring to the TSB I pasted on my above reply. It doesn’t talk about what brand filter you should use.
It's from Hyundai right? What other filter would they be considering. This is not he Hyundai after market filter TSB.

Hyundai TSB-09-EM-003
It more or less says use 5W20, 5W30 or 5W40 oils
For the 2.0T
Normal service: Every 4,800 miles or 6 months
Severe Service: Every 3,000 miles or 3 months

For the 3.8 V6
Normal service: 7,500 miles or 12 months
Severe service: 3,750 miles or 6 months
NO FILTER MENTIONED

Check the Genesis Coupe forums and see what filters they are using.

Last edited:
That tsb is the same as what the owners manual says.

The 2013s they dropped the 5w20 oil.

I don't drive it much when it's cold so I guess I'll see what it's like next spring.

The flow stays the same unless the oil pump relief valve opens, or the oil pump is worn. This should be a class on here. Lower oil pressure, all else being equal, oil, temp, etc, means parts clearances in the galleries beyond the oil sender are wider. Higher oil pressure, more restriction. Lower oil pressure, less restriction. At the sender. It took me a while reading here to understand this. I still am working on it. ZeeOughtSix does a better job of explaining it.

There is plenty of oil pressure. It just peaks too early at 3k rpms and too low compared to what it use to do. Hot idle is over 20 psi.

Didn't say your oil pressure is too low. If the oil pressure is lower then the parts clearances are wider after the sender, or the oil pump is going into relief, or the oil pump is worn out. All else being equal. Lower can mean any amount lower. There are a lot of variables including ambient temp.
A new Fram Ultra isn't too restrictive, so if you think it is now after 12K and you are overwhelming it so the oil pump reliefs, then you ran it too long and it clogged for your conditions. Which are some very high rpms.
My car has no gauges except gas and speedometer so I don't have to worry about it. Maybe some duct tape over the oil gauge?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Didn't say your oil pressure is too low. If the oil pressure is lower then the parts clearances are wider after the sender, or the oil pump is going into relief, or the oil pump is worn out. All else being equal. Lower can mean any amount lower. There are a lot of variables including ambient temp.
A new Fram Ultra isn't too restrictive, so if you think it is now after 12K and you are overwhelming it so the oil pump reliefs, then you ran it too long and it clogged for your conditions. Which are some very high rpms.
My car has no gauges except gas and speedometer so I don't have to worry about it. Maybe some duct tape over the oil gauge?
smile.gif

Yes that is what I think happened.

The filter can't cause a high enough differential pressure to see a 20psi drop in oil pressure without opening the bypass valve unless the bypass valve is faulty and stuck closed. Which would be really difficult to do in the Fram design button bypass. The pump relief valve has little to do with filter restriction because of the bypass in the filter. In your case I do not suspect the filter is the issue.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
On my Genesis Coupe 2L turbo I am using Mobil 1 0w40 and a Fram XG3593A filter. That filter is just a bit bigger than the Fram XG9688 which is the recommended filter. I have about 12k miles on the filter, second oil change for it.

I don't usually drive the car in the extreme cold but did last night at 5F. The oil pressure peaked at 74psi at around 3000 rpm and would not go higher. This is cold or hot (180F) oil.

In the past I have seen upper 80's usually at redline, 7500 rpm.

I was surprised that at 3k rpm and cold oil it peaked so low. I'm guessing the oil pump is seeing higher pressure and bypassing?

But did you actually rev the engine well above 3000 RPM to see if the pressure would go higher than 74 and hit the typical 80 PSI?

As mentioned above, if the filter is loaded up some due to 12K miles of use, the oil pressure seen after the filter will be less when the oil pump is in relief. If you want to prove it's a loaded filter put a new one on without changing the oil and test in the same conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back