H11 for my Volvo V70

Status
Not open for further replies.
My low beams are H11.

My question is, what lamp is longest lasting?
I know any "super bulb" will have a shorter life so I just want good (darn good?) quality.
Osram makes good stuff.
Which basic GE?
Is going to Volvo for bulbs a smart thing to do?

By the same token, are there any garbage brands to avoid?
I've always heard Sylvania bulbs are second rate but I do not know.

I changed a H11 3 weeks ago. Finally, the other one blew.
After changing the second one I noticed the first one blew.....a 3 week old bulb!
These were Flossers from a European parts source.

It's a pain to change these lamps so I want good ones this time.

Thanks for your opinions and experiences.

I read a while back that the Phillips Extreme Visions are pretty nice. No experience with them.

I would avoid the Silverstar zXe's. She only gets about one year out of them and they are somewhat expensive. That said, they do make some nice light and I bought some for $15 a pair on clearance at Walmart. When that stash is gone, we will probably try the Phillips.

Last edited:
Phillips makes good products. However, something is wrong if a bulb failed in a matter of weeks.

Wear rubber gloves when changing bulbs. I wipe them with isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth after attaching the connector and immediately install in housings to keep any oil or dirt off them.

You may have also gotten a defective unit that failed early.

Last edited:
I suspect if you had gone to the dealer they would have covered the one that failed in such a short time. They will cost you ~ 20USD each at the dealer. They will install them for that price. Might be a smart thing to do.

Phillips Extreme Visions is what I just put in my wife’s Jeep and Corvette. The ones I put in the Corvette were high and low beam and have been in service about 1 1/2 years. The C5 Corvette came with [censored] headlights. These bulbs made a big difference.

Last edited:
When installing any high output light, make sure it is CLEAN and dry. No finger prints, no sealant or grease on the glass - nada. Any contamination will lead to early death ...

After they are cleaned, when you handle them, use a clean dry paper towel. No rubber gloves, no bare fingers, just clean paper. Always extends the life of all bulbs that run hot. Learned this the hard way ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
My low beams are H11.

My question is, what lamp is longest lasting?

Look for long life versions from Osram, Philps, etc. But you may not like the reduced illumination they provide, compared to the brighter but shorter-life bulbs like the Philips X-Treme Vision or the GE Nighthawk Xenon.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3704761/Re:_Long-life_H11_bulbs?

Last edited:
Interesting thing:
I NEEDED headlights so I picked up a 2 pack of "Sylvania Xtravision bulbs at the nearest AutoZone.
They're made by Osram

--->The bad Flosser bulb was internally flawed. Its filament was intact. The pins were not connected in any way my ohm meter could detect.

--->IPD made good on the bad bulb by issuing a credit.
The rep reminded me to let them know if the other one fails early so they can keep an eye on their supplier.
He also said that there is no pattern of premature failure with the Flosser bulbs they sell.
I bought so many Flosser H7's through the years which served me well I will buy either again with my next parts order.

Thanks for the thread link. I did go back to look for bulb threads but missed that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back