Date decode for Honeywell made Fram PH7317?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I don't know how long ago Honeywell was making these narrowing down the first digit is tough. Date code is S92432. My guess is August 31st 2009? But I suppose it could also be 1999. Anyone have any ideas?

take a picture of it
smile.gif

Those old Honeywell/Allied-Signal Fram filters are GARBAGE!!!! Orange Can of DEATH!!!
lol.gif
grin2.gif
23.gif

Hahaha! I wonder how much has changed over their history....

Assuming the factory did not run on Sunday, I was hoping for one of the dates being on Sunday. No such luck. Copy write date on the box or other advertising clues.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Those old Honeywell/Allied-Signal Fram filters are GARBAGE!!!! Orange Can of DEATH!!!
lol.gif
grin2.gif
23.gif

Hahaha! I wonder how much has changed over their history....

I have an old Honeywell PH8A I could c and p if you'd want..
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
wink.gif

It wouldn't be necessary....

The (really old now) Mini Mopar Oil Filter study from like, 18 years ago(??!!??) showed one...
but I do remember seeing them cut open on Napa auto parts store countertops long before that website ever existed.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
wink.gif

It wouldn't be necessary....

The (really old now) Mini Mopar Oil Filter study from like, 18 years ago(??!!??) showed one...
but I do remember seeing them cut open on Napa auto parts store countertops long before that website ever existed.

I remember these. The old PH16's and PH8A's really left something to be desired.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Any physical clues?
Old paint....shrunken, crispy gasket....zone numbers instead of ZIP codes in any address on the box.....rust?

I took a look at the box it came in today, has a copyright date of 2009 which would indicate this filter is August 31st 2009 on the second shift, made in Canada. Here are some pictures of it and a later production filter made after the split from Honeywell. The older filter is free from rust, gasket is nice and supple. Was just trying to determine a date which I suppose I have now. It will get used on an upcoming oil change. Hopefully I'll do the following oil change and can cut it open after it gets used.

Here is a few pics of a newer filter.

Enjoy!

That is probably 2009. It looks old but not 1999 old. My vote would be 2009

That filter was made in Canada. I don't know when Fram stopped making filters up there. If they still made filters there in 2009, it's probably that year.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
That is probably 2009. It looks old but not 1999 old. My vote would be 2009

That filter was made in Canada. I don't know when Fram stopped making filters up there. If they still made filters there in 2009, it's probably that year.

I agree, especially with the box having a copyright date of 2009 on it. According to google Fram and Honeywell parted ways in 2011 so that all supports a born on date of August 31, 2009. All looks well with the filter and it will be getting spun on a vehicle within the next few weeks with a dose of Napa Synthetic 0w20.

I wouldn't use an 8 year old filter. Especially in a size as common as 7317
31.gif

And also, you can get a brand-new 2017-production PH7317 with a silicone ADBV at Walmart. They did not raise the price with the new silicone
smile.gif

The 2016 filter you have is ok to use. But the old 2009 one you shouldn't use. Cut it open for us instead
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I wouldn't use an 8 year old filter. Especially in a size as common as 7317
31.gif

And also, you can get a brand-new 2017-production PH7317 with a silicone ADBV at Walmart. They did not raise the price with the new silicone
smile.gif

The 2016 filter you have is ok to use. But the old 2009 one you shouldn't use. Cut it open for us instead
banana2.gif

Oh it's getting used
mad.gif
I don't have any fears using this filter as I've used lots and lots of older filters in the past without a single issue. It's in perfect condition, isn't rusty, it's going on. The majority of the filters in my filter stashes are all 8+ years old, if they're not rusty they get used.

I'm happy to cut it, just not until after it does its job for a few thousand miles.

I have run a number of PH3387A filters without issue other than the gasket sometimes sticks to the filter mount. Very popular filter fitting GM engines I4, V6 and V8. Post the results, I would like to see them. Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I took a look at the box it came in today, has a copyright date of 2009 which would indicate this filter is August 31st 2009 on the second shift, made in Canada.

Shoot, that's like brand new compared to some of the ones I have
grin.gif

Let me go find some 90's era ones for you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back