3.3 million vehicles added to Takata airbag recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade the car in? That sounds like a huge, unneeded expense assuming the car is reliable.

You could demand a rental car until the parts are available. Many manufacturers would agree.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Trade the car in? That sounds like a huge, unneeded expense assuming the car is reliable.

You could demand a rental car until the parts are available. Many manufacturers would agree.

I bought my Honda used at Carmax two years ago. I seriously doubt the local Honda dealer or even Honda itself would authorize a rental for an undetermined amount of time like that. Like any other car dealer they would just say, "You bought a used car" and tell me it is out of warranty and rentals are not covered. Sure, they will do the recall repairs but they are not obligated to do anything else. Unless I want to buy a new car from them.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

I bought my Honda used at Carmax two years ago. I seriously doubt the local Honda dealer or even Honda itself would authorize a rental for an undetermined amount of time like that. Like any other car dealer they would just say, "You bought a used car" and tell me it is out of warranty and rentals are not covered. Sure, they will do the recall repairs but they are not obligated to do anything else. Unless I want to buy a new car from them.

Actually, I think Honda was paying for rentals until parts were available if you demand one, no matter how or where you bought the car. In fact, one local dealer here decided to set up a rental business since they were doing so many from the recalls.

My Civic is not on the recall list right now. It I find out later on that it is, I may ask for a rental to see what they say. I would be very surprised to say the least if they authorized one. Plus I have no idea how much any extra rental car insurance would cost or how it would affect my car insurance to drive a rental for a long time like that. TBH a rental is not something I am interested in pursuing. My car has been reliable so far and while my first reaction might be to trade it in, deep down I know trading is probably not the best option for me. Hopefully my Civic is not on this updated list and I will not have to worry about it.

My grandma’s CR-V is part of the recall. Or, it would be if we lived where it was humid. I wonder how much that really matters. Sounds to me like they’re defective regardless, and I think they should all be replaced.

Originally Posted By: kjbock

Actually, I think Honda was paying for rentals until parts were available if you demand one, no matter how or where you bought the car. In fact, one local dealer here decided to set up a rental business since they were doing so many from the recalls.

This. I didn't just pull my words out of a hat. I know for a fact that at least Honda was giving people MONTHS and MONTHS worth of free rental cars until the parts came in. They would rather pay for a rental car, then pay a multi million dollar death settlement from exploding shrapnel airbags. If its the driver airbag that is recalled, you go in their heavy and DEMAND a rental car, and they will likely give you one. If its the passenger airbag, they will just tell you to have your passengers ride in the back seat.

My Civic is not on the recall list right now. It I find out later on that it is, I may ask for a rental to see what they say. I would be very surprised to say the least if they authorized one. Plus I have no idea how much any extra rental car insurance would cost or how it would affect my car insurance to drive a rental for a long time like that. TBH a rental is not something I am interested in pursuing. My car has been reliable so far and while my first reaction might be to trade it in, deep down I know trading is probably not the best option for me. Hopefully my Civic is not on this updated list and I will not have to worry about it.

Driving a rental will have no impact on your insurance, unless you wreck it. I believe if you have full coverage insurance on your Civic, it will still cover your rental car.

That's interesting. That would be a long time, I'm still waiting 2+ years for my 2016 Jeep's airbags.

My neighbor and I both had 2007 Honda Fits that got the recall notice. He took his to the dealer and as they didn’t have the part on hand gave him a rental until the repairs were made. I called the dealer, made an appointment and was in and out in an hour. If your car is on the list, I would suggest dealing with Honda as opposed to Carmax if at all possible. It’s Honda’s responsibility. If they balk at the rental, just remind them that they will be assuming liability for any injury since you are responding to a safety hazard recall notice.

We waited 11 months for parts to become available for our Scion XB.

The toyota dealer told me that they were doing certain years per month, and the 2011 was towards the end.

Originally Posted By: Bronco1
just remind them that they will be assuming liability for any injury since you are responding to a safety hazard recall notice.

Doesn't the notice excuse them of that, and why it says it is recommended you do not drive the vehicle? My mom waited over a year for parts for her Fit. We called all the surrounding dealers within 50 miles, and they all said parts weren't available yet. The dealers also said they had no more rentals.

Well, that’s the intent but, it doesn’t guarantee thatt they are off the hook. If people have to park their cars over an extended period have them towed, are open to an action where they have to pay for the damages and expenses. It’s not unlike the Ford 5.4 triton spark plug issue. The class action settlement paid various amounts up to a particular limits based on what your expenses or “damages” were. Even though spark plug replacement is part of maintenance, the issues and costs related to it on that engine, were beyond what was reasonable . It’s not a guarantee you’d win but, you would likely have a case if you took you vehicle in in response to a recall notice, they were’nt able to provide a remedy, either repair or an alternative, and a situation occurred where the faulty device caused injury. Depending where you live you could have a very good case

My 2014 Mustang GT and my fiancee's 2007 Mustang GT are under the air bag recall. It was both front airbags in hers and just the driver's side on mine. We have both had the driver's side recall done so my car is no longer under a recall but there are no parts yet available for the passenger side airbag in her car and she just received a letter from Ford stating that they will notify her when the parts are available and to not let anyone sit in the front passenger side seat until it is fixed.

It took almost two years to get mine fixed and hers has been even longer. Since Takata filed for bankruptcy, I'm not sure where it leaves everyone who has not yet gotten their vehicles fixed.

Had my 2014 GT done too. I forget where I saw it, but less than half of all AB recalls have been performed. Something to think about if buying used.

Supposedly dealers are not supposed to even sell a vehicle with an open recall but I know that they do. If buying used from a private party, you just have to take their word for it or contact a dealer before you buy to see if the recall shows in their system to have been done.

I never received any paperwork from the dealer after mine or hers was done and I don't recall any stickers on the cars anywhere stating a recall was done.

Originally Posted By: wtd
Supposedly dealers are not supposed to even sell a vehicle with an open recall but I know that they do.

I've found that dealers really don't care. A few friends have asked for help looking for certain used vehicles, and they were cars that were impacted by the recall. Almost all of these particular vehicles I looked at had open recalls on the airbag still. Telling the dealer it needs to be fixed usually doesn't work either if the car is a hot seller in the used market.

As much grief as I give Honda, most of the used ones I saw had the airbag fixed. This was not the case for a number of other vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back