Tire Rec - 2014 VW Passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Friday all! I am pre-planning and would like some insight/opinions from the team here- more specifically, tire recs.

* I will need something A/S as they will probably go on this coming spring and will keep them on through the winter snow here in IL.
* Would like a long-ish life tire (something more than 60k for the mileage warranty).
* I don't drive in a spirited fashion, although sometimes it's fun taking corners fast- so something that won't feel like i'm driving an RV.
* Prefer something that has a decent tread and sidewall appearance (there are a ton of "ugly" tires out there).
* Cost is "prince" (king would mean really cheap) - Sub $190-200 would be perfect!

Note 1: I happily get the family discount at my local Firestone location, so I get to save some coinage compared to going to other tire shops. That being said, I would like to continue to buy Bridgestone/Firestone tires, but lately I have seen some less than attractive reviews of their tires, especially the driveguards, so I am open to other options.

Note 2: The Passat is spec'd at 235/45R18, but in playing around, I notice that there might be some better options elsewhere in 235/50R18. Has anyone gone with the 5% bump in sidewall height on the Passat? Does it look weird or come with any caveats? OR would you recommend going to a 235/40R18?

...And go!
grin.gif

I cannot say enough good things about the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires. Put them on the Accord for the summer/fall months. Great tire.

Nothing wrong with Bridgestone Driveguards, especially if your car requires a run-flat tire.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Best tire I have used on a VW and others. This tire wont disappoint.

P7 Plus

I have looked and read somewhat heavily into these P7's, look to be pretty solid. They seem to have the least performance feel to them relative to comparable tires from what I read, but that comes with the price of a soft sidewall on turns. Have you noticed any softness on turns with them?

Originally Posted By: Trav
They handle well in curves on the VW Golf GTI, no drama.

Noted.

I do like the fact that Firestone gives you a 30 day refund policy on a set of 4 tires. Thanks to the deep discount, I may try out the Driveguards, but if any other tire can pull me away from them, it would be these. Just wish someone had experience with the Driveguards on the Passat and can weigh in here. Would make my life a lot easier! LOL

There's really no reason to change the stock size. Few if any upsides, plenty of downsides.

If winter/snow traction is important, and you can only use one set of tires year-round and can't get a set of dedicated winter tires and must use all-seasons year-round, at least get one with the mountain and snowflake 3-peak logo (sometimes they may be advertised as "all weather" tires) such as
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Goodyear WeatherReady
Nokian WRG3 (the WRG4 may be available by the time you purchase your new tires)
Toyo Celsius

All four are available in your size 235/45-18 and under $200 each and have a 60k warranty
smile.gif

The Toyo Celsius seems to cost the least (about $135/tire)

Vredestein was the first to make tires like this, and the Quatrac 5 in your size is $150 each.

Nokian is famous for their winter tires, and even their all-season is very good in the winter for an all-season, but they do cost more ($175 each)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2014&autoModel=Passat+1.8T&autoModClar=SEL&width=235%2F&ratio=45&diameter=18&sortCode=53850&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S
I'd pick either the new Bridgestone RE980AS or Conti DWS 06 first, or either the General Altimax RT43 or Vredestein Quatrac 5 second.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back