New pick ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT8

I bought a 2015 F150 with the 2.7 engine and I really like the engine for what I use it for but the Rams are really nice I drove them and have friends that own them as well as the GM Vehicles. Yesterday I helped out a friend with a 1 year old 4X4 GMC and a top of the line model and yes it was super nice, quiet smooth good mpgs and powerful . The market has some super choices for the consumers . Opinions on how good the offerings are. Just been thinking. Doing a ZZmerkStevie.

Originally Posted By: Donald
New pickups are sure nice but expensive. I think the MSRP for my pickup was almost $60k.

I don't know who has the money to buy new trucks... sure isn't me.

I bought my 2008 F150 with pretty low miles for $9800,
and though a pretty good deal I still hate to spend that much money on a vehicle.

Ram/Ford/Chevy/GMC have huge discounts off MSRP to the point where I've seen 1-2 year old trucks have an asking price the same as buying a new discounted one.

pickups are even more overpriced than everything else today + preowned are no bargain!!! if you don't need or want 4WD it gets a lot better. anything in high demand runs up the price for sure!!!

"I don't know who has the money to buy new trucks... sure isn't me." I am with ya brother, the guys I know who have bought new trucks are basically broke but hey they are driving a new truck that is killing their budget and disposable income. many people stay broke because they buy more toys than they can afford. same with houses many people buy way more house than they can handle and they are house poor.. have a nice 300K plus house but are eating ramen to afford the house and vehicle
A truck would have to be at least 10 years old before I would be able to afford one. I have yet to own a new vehicle and have never paid more than 10K for a used vehicle or bought a vehicle that did not have at least 90K and most have had over 100K when I buy them.

Remember, pick-ups were empty boxes of metal and quite affordable. Their popularity grew for "non-work" applications.

As popularity grows, so does price.

If IN ANY WAY the car becomes emblematic (regional identity, high school kid identity etc.) the price is going to go up...and they have.

I regret not buying a 2009 Nissan Frontier 2WD for <$10K. Drove by to take a second look and it was gone.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
"I don't know who has the money to buy new trucks... sure isn't me." I am with ya brother, the guys I know who have bought new trucks are basically broke but hey they are driving a new truck that is killing their budget and disposable income. many people stay broke because they buy more toys than they can afford. same with houses many people buy way more house than they can handle and they are house poor.. have a nice 300K plus house but are eating ramen to afford the house and vehicle
A truck would have to be at least 10 years old before I would be able to afford one. I have yet to own a new vehicle and have never paid more than 10K for a used vehicle or bought a vehicle that did not have at least 90K and most have had over 100K when I buy them.

I have a rule of thumb at our house. The total value of everything with an engine in it has to stay below 30% or our annual household Gross income. If it has an engine I pay cash for it or I do not buy it. Everything containing an engine is a poor investment as they all go down in value rapidly. Vehicles are the largest thing we buy as consumers that goes down in value.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Ram/Ford/Chevy/GMC have huge discounts off MSRP to the point where I've seen 1-2 year old trucks have an asking price the same as buying a new discounted one.

^ this

I just traded in my '07 F-150 I bought new on a '17 Ram 1500.

$2600 off sticker, $7500 in rebates, $10K for my trade made my new truck the same exact price as '15's they had on the lot with 30-40K miles.

I paid $24000 for my F-150 ten years ago after the rebates back then. I think I did good having that truck 10 years and almost 100K miles for $14000.

Quote:

I have a rule of thumb at our house. The total value of everything with an engine in it has to stay below 30% or our annual household Gross income. If it has an engine I pay cash for it or I do not buy it. Everything containing an engine is a poor investment as they all go down in value rapidly. Vehicles are the largest thing we buy as consumers that goes down in value.

So you have to buy a Tesla if you want to splurge?

My rule is "One car loan at a time." Its worked out well.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Remember, pick-ups were empty boxes of metal and quite affordable. Their popularity grew for "non-work" applications.

As popularity grows, so does price.

If IN ANY WAY the car becomes emblematic (regional identity, high school kid identity etc.) the price is going to go up...and they have.

I regret not buying a 2009 Nissan Frontier 2WD for

Bingo!

My wife, who works at GM, said GM, and others, can't build trucks, SUV's and the like quick enough. Gone are the days where people wanted cars, other than the much older generations.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Quote:

So you have to buy a Tesla if you want to splurge?

My rule is "One car loan at a time." Its worked out well.

Nice observation! I suppose I should say most vehicles are a poor investment including electric. The exception to the rule would be certain exotic cars and certain classics which can appreciate.

I have borrowed on vehicles in the past, but I personally prefer to pay myself monthly. I then use that money I saved to purchase a vehicle and repeat.

I would agree with you, however, if one is going to finance do it one at a time and pay it off early.

That is a wise policy, pretty sure we have all known people who are always broke due to having the "keep up with the Jones'" . attitude. I listen to Dave Ramsey quite often and on every show there is someone who is broke because they are buying a vehicle that they cannot afford. So dave tells them "You make 25K a year and you cannot afford a new truck that costs 40K. living beyond one's means keeps many people broke, that is for sure.

I bought a '16 Silverado base(formerly Work Truck) with 2000 miles in 4/17. The only option on the sheet was carpet. 2wd, 4.3, double cab. The thing is, it has A/C, cruise, windows & locks. It's a truck and has done exactly what we want/need perfectly well so far over 12K miles and it's averaging over 20mpg. The only thing that would be nice to have would be electric mirrors but oh well. Best part is I have a seat cover on the back seat for the dogs and don't stress about dog hair and nose prints on the windows of my fancy $50K+ gentleman's urban runabout. Out the door for $28K, no financing. No infotainment, bluetooth, turn signals in the mirrors, lane departure, back up cam, etc. There are trucks for less than $50K.

New 4x4 pickups are a pure rip-off!

But....the market has supported those prices. Sad and ridiculous...but as long as people pay $40 to $70 grand for a utility vehicle, that's what the prices will be.

I cannot believe the prices. My newest truck was just plain stupid in price. I needed its capabilities and reliability but I plan on owning it for a long, long time. There is no other way I can justify that price.

It would be far less expensive to replace my engine and transmission and rear end( not that they need it) than to buy another truck.

It's the new "fad". Gone are the days of the beautiful family luxury cars (Lincoln Town Car,Buick Park Avenue,Cadillac Sedan De Ville,Chrysler New Yorker,Oldsmobile 98 Regency,etc). The in-thing is the redneck Cadillac,the $70 luxury pickup truck. I couldn't imagine having one of those and having my neighbor walk over asking if we could use my truck to go pick up a bed full of cement or lumber. I'd be afraid to get a single scratch on that thing,or damage the leather!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It's the new "fad". Gone are the days of the beautiful family luxury cars (Lincoln Town Car,Buick Park Avenue,Cadillac Sedan De Ville,Chrysler New Yorker,Oldsmobile 98 Regency,etc). The in-thing is the redneck Cadillac,the $70 luxury pickup truck. I couldn't imagine having one of those and having my neighbor walk over asking if we could use my truck to go pick up a bed full of cement or lumber. I'd be afraid to get a single scratch on that thing,or damage the leather!

Some folks just need a very fancy truck or SUV with the optional $15,000 'glitter and glam' package to drive around town, pick up the kids from school and to go grocery shopping.
smirk.gif

Tuff rugged blue collar men drive normal trucks and SUVs.

I can't speak for anyone else. I know my good friend just bought a 2018 diesel Denali 4 door long bed for 61,000. I can't justify that but others can. It certainly is a nice truck and is very capable. I like only one car payment at a time and that is on 20,000 dollar caprice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back