Anybody Else Underwhelmed by Takeout Pizza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I know two really good pizza places but if you want quality you make your own. I cant stand frozen either. Get some 00 type flour, some yeast and make your own dough. For the sauce you can buy it or do what I do, combine tomato paste with water and add spices.basil, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, a tad of sugar to offset the bitterness mix it up and add garlic and onion powder and any other seasonings as you go. Taste as you go to judge. If I'm lazy I get myself a 10 pack of naan breads from costco here for 3$. It keeps in your freezer and is as simple as thawing them out and putting sauce and ingredients on it and putting in the oven. Makes nice individual pizzas. Try it
smile.gif

P.S. My pizzas have tons of toppings too, the are really thick!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: sprite1741
I always get Freshetta or DiGiorno, whichever is on sale for $4. Those are as good as delivery to me considering the price difference. I think take out pizza is a giant rip off and it isn't that good. Winco has Tony's for $1.99, not the best frozen but add a bunch of shredded Mozzarella during the last 5 minutes in the oven and it sure is acceptable. Lot's of cheese makes all the difference.

The better brands of frozen pizza are certainly as good as anything you'll get delivered or for takeout and much cheaper to boot.
As long as you have an oven, you're good to go.
It also isn't all that hard to make yeast dough for a scratch made pizza. This is kind of a fun way to while away a cold weekend afternoon and it does fill the house with a lovely yeasty scent.

Agreed! Ironically its what Im doing tonight!

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Exactly, it is so easy and far far cheaper to make your own pizza and it is 100 times better as well. Valentinos is the best pizza in this town (Licoln, NE,IMO but a large is 15 to $20 and even by buying pre made pizza crusts it is still far cheaper than Val's. For Take and bake pizza, Papa Murphys is pretty good but still cannot match home made in taste or value

Glad you reminded me of Papa Murphy’s. Used to go there all the time when I lived in Memphis. Haven’t gone in the last 5 yrs or so.

Profit profit profit the older I get the more "less is more". Ugh.

Papa Murphy's will bury a pizza in toppings for you. Doctoring frozen is a fun route too.

How about the refrigerated pizzas at Aldi? They sure look good and someone I know said they were as well. Not frozen stiff either and very reasonably priced. Plus money back guarantee! May get one later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
How about the refrigerated pizzas at Aldi? They sure look good and someone I know said they were as well. Not frozen stiff either and very reasonably priced. Plus money back guarantee! May get one later.

They are pretty good.

Every once in a while they have ones from Germany too.

Papa Murphy's--- all the convenience of take outs, plus it comes out of YOUR oven.

I've lived in St Louis for more than forty years and still have a huge dislike for St. Louis style pizzas. Provel cheese is to real provolone like Cheeze Whiz is to cheddar--there's a reason it's never made it out of eastern Missouri. Plus the local fare has flat cracker-like crusts. No thank you.

Just about everything at Aldi is pretty good, and your post reminds me give their fresh pizzas a try.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I'll tell ya where we've got you Illinois & NY people beat, though, and that's our Bar-B-Q.
smile.gif

Stop!! Ur making me hungry! Been to Nashville twice, really nice city, I love it there. Next time I go back, will need to get your advice on local bbq spots. I remember grabbing Jacks BBQ. Guaranteed to hear some of the best karaoke singers at the bars there!

Freshetta and DiGiorno's are by far the best frozen pizza's out there today. Trader joes used to have one that was similar, but I have not been to our Trader Joe's in a couple of years now. When I was back in HS in the 70's Red Baron and Tombstone pizza's were like DiGiornos and Freshetta, but in about the mid 80's Red baron and Tombstone cut corners and are nothing special. Last time I had a Red Baron Pizza was about 5 years ago and I honestly think the cardboard box it was packed in with some sauce and cheese on top would have been much better and more flavorful.

Until you’ve had a pizza in a sit down pizza joint in NY.....you’ve never had a pizza!
49.gif
Having said that, my wife makes very good ones in her big old cast iron pan.

Last edited:
I for one cannot stand any frozen pizza, no matter how doctored up. Usually taste like dishwater to me. There are two great options in town for pizza; one place does thin, the other thicker. Much better than Domino's, Papa Johns, or Pizza-Hut. There's one place in Williamsport, PA that is an Italian owned pizza shop that serves NY style super-greasy-thin pizza. Many of times I've thought about driving the 2.5 hours up there just for a pie.

We had Dominos last night (by the time jobs were done, too late to cook).

Had a letterbox full of vouchers, and the competing pizza chains in Oz is a race to the bottom.

Hawaiian (ham and pineapple) is my son's fave, and used to be value with loads of toppings...now it's a sea of nearly molten (not browned) cheese with a few lone icebergs of flavour floating in it. We got a "New Yorker" pepperoni and sausage, and while they got the size right, similar for the toppings...was "pretty OK", but also 16 bucks.

So around thirteen bucks US, but still not a very good value although not horribly expensive with delivery.
Why didn't you just grab a couple of fresh or frozen pies on the way home and pop them in the oven?
Would have been better and cheaper.

We can tolerate Pizza Hut but it has to be a concession due to time or something forcing us to not cook.

Homemade pizza is so easy.

Betty Crocker pizza crust mix
tomato paste doctored up into pizza sauce
real cheese freshly grated
1 pound browned Italian (sage) sausage
fresh deli sliced pepperoni
chopped white onion
chopped green pepper

Roll crust to desired thickness, corn meal and cracked pepper on the pan, add crust, add sauce, add toppings and bake until golden brown.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
We can tolerate Pizza Hut but it has to be a concession due to time or something forcing us to not cook.

Homemade pizza is so easy.

Betty Crocker pizza crust mix
tomato paste doctored up into pizza sauce
real cheese freshly grated
1 pound browned Italian (sage) sausage
fresh deli sliced pepperoni
chopped white onion
chopped green pepper

Roll crust to desired thickness, corn meal and cracked pepper on the pan, add crust, add sauce, add toppings and bake until golden brown.

Sounds great! Thanks for that!

I’m going to try that very soon!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Until you’ve had a pizza in a sit down pizza joint in NY.....you’ve never had a pizza!
49.gif

The water in NY makes NY style pizza special tasting.

Others can come close but not exactly NY style pizza.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: gman2304
49.gif

The water in NY makes NY style pizza special tasting.

Others can come close but not exactly NY style pizza.

:sniff: yes it DOES wreck every pizza for the rest of your life...

Edit...seeing the pizza I ate in NY in 2010 made last night even more disappointing...false advertising to claim that's a "New Yorker)...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back