Turbo Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad was supposed to do my taxes tonight. In the past we have used Turbo Tax because the 1040EZ is free. My dad is sick tonight so I really don't want to bother him. I just need to know if the 1040EZ is still free?

Tax time already??!!
eek.gif

I usually start worrying about this the second week of April.

Last edited:
With all the data leaks that have been happening, everyone should do their taxes as early as possible.

The longer you wait, the greater the likelihood that someone will use your personal data to file a fraudulent return/refund and have the money sent to themselves. This is a mess when it happens. Get it done.

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
My dad was supposed to do my taxes tonight. In the past we have used Turbo Tax because the 1040EZ is free. My dad is sick tonight so I really don't want to bother him. I just need to know if the 1040EZ is still free?

Well I think you have until April 15th.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Actually the 16th.
grin2.gif

I haven't even received any annual statements yet.

Waiting on my W2s from work, they usually come mid January. I like to file as soon as possible too.

I hear some union jobs take a long time to get w2s though

I assumed this was a tax on turbochargers.

Was wondering if a supercharger would work as a loophole

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
With all the data leaks that have been happening, everyone should do their taxes as early as possible.

True, but the IRS isn’t accepting returns until January 29th this year.

1.) We don't get money back, so anyone filing on our behalf would be paying for me
laugh.gif

2.) Won't even get most of my tax papers made available until end of Feb, so no way to do that now.

3.) Wait until a few days before deadline so I get the float as long as possible. Then pay by check for it floats another few days
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
1.) We don't get money back, so anyone filing on our behalf would be paying for me
laugh.gif

2.) Won't even get most of my tax papers made available until end of Feb, so no way to do that now.

3.) Wait until a few days before deadline so I get the float as long as possible. Then pay by check for it floats another few days
smile.gif

When someone files fraudulent tax returns for another person to get a refund, they do it fraudulently, with fraudulent numbers, to get a refund. They don’t file your proper tax return for you. They’ll claim excess deductions and less income to generate a refund. The hope is that they can get the refund direct deposited to themselves before the IRS catches on. Then, when you go to file a return, you’ll receive a notice that you already did. Then starts the identity theft process.

laugh.gif

Stolen identity refund fraud info from the DOJ

Additional reading

File as soon as you’re able.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The IRS isn't accepting returns until the 29th anyway

Yes, we covered that three posts up from yours. File as soon as you’re able.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
laugh.gif

smile.gif

When someone files fraudulent tax returns for another person to get a refund, they do it fraudulently, with fraudulent numbers, to get a refund. They don’t file your proper tax return for you. They’ll claim excess deductions and less income to generate a refund. The hope is that they can get the refund direct deposited to themselves before the IRS catches on. Then, when you go to file a return, you’ll receive a notice that you already did. Then starts the identity theft process.

laugh.gif

Stolen identity refund fraud info from the DOJ

Additional reading

File as soon as you’re able.

In their case it isn't that big of a deal. The IRS will just stop payment on that check or pull the DD out.

The main issue when someone steals your information is that the time it takes to get your actually refund. I've had it happen to a friend and it took over 14 months to get their actually refund of $3000. That money could mean a lot of some people. To the people that just owe, they just cut the IRS and be done with it. Yes its a headache but i rather owe then to give the IRS a "interest fee loan".

I try my best to aim +/- $250 for my refund. So i'm not out much nor do i really care for the refund. If you are good or have good accountant, they can help you get this done.

For Canada:

You can buy TurboTax, but as with all tax software, you need a copy of the application to read / modify (file an amended return) the files. Since OS upgrades eventually will mean the version you bought to file TY 20xx taxes will stop working due to incompatibility, you are stuck buying new versions.

I use StudioTax (free download, MacOS, WindowsOS, Canada only) which has no restrictions except limited to 20 returns. Any return no matter how simple or complex can be used, every schedule and form included, and it's eFile Certified so you can file electronically, takes about 2 minutes. Will print (pdf) of your entire return and attachments so you can always read the return in the future, and has modest installation requirements so works with any version of an OS you are likely to have installed.

Why free? They earn their income from commercial tax preparation firms, individuals who do their own taxes aren't customers of either StudioTax or their clients.

There are other free return softwares available, but StudioTax resides on your computer so you have control of the data. uFile (for example) requires you to file online. Not for me; tax return data is too important to upload to the internet. eFile to Canada Customs and Revenue Agency is encrypted.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Actually the 16th.
grin2.gif

I haven't even received any annual statements yet.

And its up to 3 yrs as long as they owe you.

The longer you wait, the greater the likelihood that someone will use your personal data to file a fraudulent return/refund and have the money sent to themselves. This is a mess when it happens. Get it done.

True!

Look at their website. Also CreditKarma has free income tax prep.

I would prefer to not use server based tax prep. I want software installed on my PC. Yes I will efile, but that it.

online , yes its free

but nothing is free, they sell your information.

I always download the desk top product(which you have to pay for), and print it out myself and mail it to the IRS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back