Mint Blog recommendations for Meltdown and Spectre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the Mint people sent out a kernel upgrade, which they normally don't do within a release. They usually don't touch that unless you go to a newer version of Mint altogether.

It worked well. I was afraid of issues with Secure Boot again, since the Mint people seem utterly baffled by the construct, but that didn't materialize this time.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yes, the Mint people sent out a kernel upgrade, which they normally don't do within a release.

Good heavens do I ever wish Canonical would adopt this as a best practice.

I am curious, this Google blog post explains how one can write code what would cause branch prediction to load contents of memory into the CPU cache that would normally cause an access violation. So now that data my program should not have access to is in the L1 cache, but can a user mode program read all the contents of the L1 cache at will?

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Good heavens do I ever wish Canonical would adopt this as a best practice.

I'm not too bothered by it, in that I've had very, very few issues with kernel upgrades, know how to revert fairly readily if there's an issue, and haven't had to fix messes for other people. But, I do see the point, and it's interesting to note where Mint has their tipping point. I know Ubuntu would do kernel upgrade after kernel upgrade within a release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back