UOA trending while using different oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Would it not be beneficial to use the same brand of oil filter during every sample interval in order to gain more accurate readings vs using filters with different efficiency ratings?

Well, really....

There are:
1) Premium Filters (Fram XG, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil M1)
2) Everything else

There won't be ANY huge changes between any oil filters on a UOA.

The one thing that might change is "insolubles", but even then there's plenty of room for error.

If you think oil filter choice is going to affect PPM of Fe or Al, I seriously doubt it.

The reason I say what I just said is when a UOA shows "8 ppm Fe" (iron), these are particles that go right through pretty much any filter. Even UOA's with "bypass filtration" show these metals.

Blackstone labs has said the big stuff that gets caught in a filter (and stays there, in any filter) doesn't even get analyzed in a UOA.

I've run a wide range of filters on my Lexus from a rock catcher to a Motocraft to an Ultra, I've never been able to see any differences in my UOA wear metals, the best one for insolubles was actually the FL910S and not the Ultra. Iron and aluminum have always been 1-3 ppm each on average regardless of filter.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I've run a wide range of filters on my Lexus from a rock catcher to a Motorcraft to an Ultra, I've never been able to see any differences in my UOA wear metals

Luke,
The variety at which you experiment (oils and filters) is not just entertaining,
but blows huge holes in all kinds of old fables and folklore!

There was one very long Amsoil study (often linked here) in a modern Camaro for about 20,000 miles (UOA every 1000 or so miles) and insolubles did go down a tiny bit when a filter change was done.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I've run a wide range of filters on my Lexus from a rock catcher to a Motorcraft to an Ultra, I've never been able to see any differences in my UOA wear metals

Luke,
The variety at which you experiment (oils and filters) is not just entertaining,

There was one very long Amsoil study (often linked here) in a modern Camaro for about 20,000 miles (UOA every 1000 or so miles) and insolubles did go down a tiny bit when a filter change was done.

Isn't that both Amsoil and Mobil 1 oil article?

Amsoil- https://www.brianschreurs.org/neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

Mobil 1 - https://www.brianschreurs.org/neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

Last edited:
I've run a wide range of filters on my Lexus from a rock catcher to a Motocraft to an Ultra, I've never been able to see any differences in my UOA wear metals, the best one for insolubles was actually the FL910S and not the Ultra. Iron and aluminum have always been 1-3 ppm each on average regardless of filter.

Also you won't see any difference in the life of the engine. The oil you use is far more important than the filter you use.

Originally Posted By: shanneba

Isn't that both Amsoil and Mobil 1 oil article?
Amsoil- https://www.brianschreurs.org/neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html
Mobil 1 - https://www.brianschreurs.org/neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

YES! Thank you for finding & posting the links!

We just finished debating something very similar on the Microgreen thread (at least I assume it is finished as it is going to get)

I still don’t believe that a UOA is going to tell you much about a filter (or conversely that a filter is going to have an impact on UOA’s).

If your insolubles are out of whack (which seems uncommon from my recollections) then the filter might be something to take a look at.

Luke,

Any of my ramblings are far from definitive or scientific in their scope. But at a macro level seem to point to the fact that SN oils are all generally pretty good at modest intervals. It also points to the apparent truth in Dnewtons Signature line which I'm paraphrasing to say "Conventional vs Synthetic isn't about which one is better" Synthetic oils can have their place where a low noack is required or high temperature oxidation stability is required or for long drain intervals. Conventional oils can be equally effective at reasonable drain intervals. Drain interval is a very uses specific metric determined not only by the individual engine but the conditions under which its operating to include quality and type of fuel as well as the usage of the vehicle. I don't propose that the PYB would be a good candidate for 15k OCI in my application but it wasn't woefully overdue for a change at 5,000 miles either. I just enjoy gathering data and experimenting, the yearly clearance deals and Amazon sales allow me a wide variety of oils to run and collect macro data on. I only wish that I had a fleet of about 30 of my Lexus so that I could run 30 of these oils in individual cars for 200,000 miles on the same oils and filters to collect data. Unfortunately I have one car and a lot of different oils so we just get singular data points on those oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back