My first Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 2003 CR-V with 180k on the clock and I’m out of 5-20 right now. Been in the -20f here lately and I ask... I have M1 in 0-30 and PP HM in 5-30 on hand. Is a 30w ok to run in this engine? I’m leaning towards the 0-30 but don’t know enough about Honda engines . Thanks all.

The manual should say 0-30 is fine. 0-20 is recommended but running 0-30 shouldn't kill the motor. I think they do it for MPG...

That engine will be just as happy on pretty much any of the 'normal' grades. I wouldn't sweat it in the least.

With 180K on the clock, I think the clearances have opened up enough by now to flow 0W-30
grin.gif
lol.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
running 0-30 shouldn't kill the motor. I think they do it for MPG...

I'd like to find *ONE* engine that 0W-30 would "kill" (ain't gonna happen)
grin2.gif
lol.gif

I lived there in MSP and I ran 0w30 Castrol one winter and another winter 0w20 or( 0w30?) m1 afe with no issues with well over 100k on my civic, its specd for 30 and 20w

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: possum328
The manual specs 5-20 across the board turtle.

Why not just go and buy the right oil that is specified?

Honda changed their oil spec from 2001 to 2002 I believe, without changing anything on many of their motors. Example, j32a1, j32a2, j30, j35,k23, Nothing changed motor wise, but oil spec changed from 5w30 to to 5w20. They did it for fuel conservation. They did introduce the K24 in 2003. I believe it was spec'd for 5w20. You have a K24. I owned an accord with the k24 and did not realize the oil spec change. I was living in So,Cal Hot weather and used mobil 1 10w30 and change oil once a year. no problems. Would do it again no problem. I would feel comfortable using either ow30/5w30.

The 0w-30 is one of the best oils on the market .Run it with faith. My daughter has a 2010 Focus that recommends 5W-20I run either 5W-20 or 5W-30 and my daughter can't tell the difference when she calculates the gas mpgs. ..05 mpg by Fords people.

While Honda recommended 5W-20 in North America, they still recommended 5W-30 in other countries. So, don't worry.

I've run 0W-30 weights plenty of OCIs in the twelve years I've owned my '06V. Use it with confidence.

I was topping off a car a few weeks ago with some SynPower 20w50 at 9 F out it was thick as molasses. Took forever to drain down out of the funnel. And this was only a little over half a quart. Took forever, I didn't think it was ever going to drain down. Had to stop half way through and poured 2 quarts of 5w30 conventional Napa and a little over half qt of MMO. At least the SynPower was a night light honey color. Unlike the Napa conv which had been in my brother's garage for years.

I’m going with the 0W30 AFE for the win. Thanks for the replies and input fellas.

Goood choice, it stood up well in my civic in Mn winter,, 5w is also good for low temps but 0 should flow a little better..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back