Mobil 1 AP 5w20 (10,155 mi) 2010 3.8 Genesis Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
ywZZcle.png

Changed out the Mobil 1 Annual Protection early so I didn't exceed the previous 12,000 mile recommendation from Blackstone while on my 4,000+ mile Christmas vacation road trip. Purolator PureOne filter, magnetic drain plug, AEM cold air intake with cone filter (that I realize I need to clean). WOT pull to the redline every time it is warmed up. Mostly highway miles at moderate to high speeds and loads in Texas heat. Vehicle has 183,xxx miles on her as of now and runs perfectly smooth.

Discuss.

The iron numbers aren't exactly alarming,
but they seem kind of high compared to some other UOA's I have seen recently.

I feel like M1 EP would work out for you just as well with that OCI. Kind of disappointed in how the AP performed with the TBN down at 3, and while you did tow, your mileage was mostly highway. Curious how different Amsoil signature series would look

Originally Posted By: Smoqueed
I feel like M1 EP would work out for you just as well with that OCI. Kind of disappointed in how the AP performed with the TBN down at 3, and while you did tow, your mileage was mostly highway. Curious how different Amsoil signature series would look

Or any Amsoil. Mobil AP has priced themselves out of the market.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Was the 7/8/14 samples Rotella T6?

Castrol Edge EP 5w20

Originally Posted By: wemay
Nice consistent results. This is a gem of an engine.

I am excited to see how long she lasts.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

But look at what I do to it
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Smoqueed

I intended to go longer but stuff happened, I agree though. The previous fill was M1 EP 5w20. I doubt I will ever run Amsoil unless someone else buys it for me.

I expected lower iron considering he's got a magnetic drain plug in here helping to catch stuff.

Hey Lethal1ty17, does the drain plug come out with some metallic slush on it?

Originally Posted By: Artem

I expected lower iron considering he's got a magnetic drain plug in here helping to catch stuff.

Hey Lethal1ty17, does the drain plug come out with some metallic slush on it?

It does, but it is not much. I should have taken a picture of it. Whenever I installed the drain plug it didn't seem to change the wear numbers much. I installed it starting on the oil drain interval the July sample came from. Also happened to be the longest sample too.

The few UOA's i've seen from mobil 1 AP are a little disappointing. It's hard to believe this oil can go 20K. Typical M1 iron numbers as well, IMHO.
What oil was used on the 12-16-16 OC?

Universal average for iron wear is 14 ppm on this engine, probably based on oil changes at an average 7,500 miles, so your numbers are exactly meeting the average, even in hard use.
TBN is really a measure of acid-buffering potential remaining, and Mobil1 Annual Protection also uses strong anti-oxidants and very stable base oils to keep acids from creating sludge particles, so TBN isn't the whole story of how this oil is holding up.

I guess I was expecting more than average numbers for an oil that's considered Mobils top of the line oil. High expectations always set me up for disappointment.

Konstatine, a UOA only tells you some vague wear information, and doesn't say much about deposits formation.
This one had very little contamination from silicon (sandy dust) particles, good info on the environment anyway. No anti-freeze coolant contamination, OK good there. ... About the oil, its viscosity is right where a new 5w20 M1 Annual Protection which indicates little or no oxidation thickening has occurred in 10k miles. Thats a lot of miles for no KV100 increase. This oil is hanging in there nicely. A rise in KV100 is a warning, and there is no problem here.

Concur with OFM evaluation.
I would speculate AP starts off with lowish TBN(searching for it's virgin TBN,if available) and it appears to have high TBN retention capability.
Expecting to see a good 20k UOA with it.... one day.

I just ran Mobil 1 AP 0W-20 for 7k in my 2016 Escalade, so i'm definitely not saying it's junk. I didn't send a sample in for an OA on this run since it only has 15k miles on it, and that in my opinion could impugn mobil 1 AP's reputation . I'll start sending some samples to the lab once she's got 30k. Unfortunately, I'll be handcuffed by the OLM so there won't be any extended intervals.

Have we seen any other UOA’s on AP, I don’t recall.

The Honda has 0w20 AP in it now, it has about 7500 miles so far, I will sample it at 10,000 and we will see what it looks like, but if run to 20,000 will likely be close to 2 years. If I can’t comfortably extend the OCI above 15,000 miles I won’t keep spending the money on it. (though I think I have enough for 3 changes)

As far as this UOA, there is nothing concerning in it...

Last edited:
Has anyone ever sent more than one oil sample of the same oil to a lab? I use to catch two samples from Cat 3512's and would get two entirely different reports, depending on where i caught it from.

Originally Posted By: Konstantine
Has anyone ever sent more than one oil sample of the same oil to a lab? I use to catch two samples from Cat 3512’s and would get two entirely different reports, depending on where i caught it from.

I have.

Look at my Virgin Mobil 1 AP sample and some of my newer UOA’s.

With 0's for lead across the board, one can infer this engine uses aluminum bearings.

With that in mind, I don't like the Al values at all for ANY of these reports - we 'usually' see single-digit Al, even with 10-15k intervals.

I'd say you are doing some bearing and/or piston damage, and would use a thicker oil to 'cushion' this hard-worked engine more.

...of course, you've made it to 180+k on this plan, so feel free to keep doing what is working! ;P

Those wear metals are out of control. The only thing to do is use some gear oil on the next change. I think that will get the wear numbers back in check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back