How do you usually pay for things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use my debit card for pretty much everything, I never use cash.

I do have a credit card that my phone bill is on auto-pay through though. That gets paid off every month.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Bitcoin

That could be expensive if your Bitcoin shoot up in value.

credit cards with cash back rewards, paying with credit card has alot of extra perks and protections. small businesses like restaurants then i pay with cash to save them the credit card fees.

A CC, specifically, an American Express card. Outstanding protection against fraudulent charges, contesting charges, purchase protection and a nice rewards program. Only downside is that some places don't accept it (although hasn't really a problem for us). All of our monthly recurring bills, and all but one of our annual bills, are paid via AMEX now. That wasn't the case before we moved. Gives us a nice bump via the rewards program. Have a debit card but can't remember the last time we used it. Keep some cash in the safe for unexpected expenses where cards aren't accepted.

I use cash at restaurants. This is the one place where most credit card nonsense occurs.

I always keep my wallet stocked with five ones, a five, ten, and the rest twenties. That way i can put together any amount and not wait for change at a restaurant. Makes for quick payment and fewer steps for the server.

Put everything over a buck on one of two rewards credit cards. Feel debit cards are dangerous, far fewer protections plus it's hooked to your bank account--aaagh! Always getting them sent to me by my credit unions and have to return them to exchange for ATM cards. I pay everything monthly, haven't paid interest in close to thirty years, never pay an annual fee and get from $500 to a thou back every year.

I write less than five checks a year, although I do use my CU's bill paying feature for recurring bills.

Last edited:
I use debit card and prefer to use chip readers when possible and always select the credit option when it is available on the reader. We write checks for monthly bills, mortgage, electric,water, garbage, etc. Criminals have been known to skim card numbers from gas station pumps here in Lincoln Ne and we were hacked that way a few years back. We figured it was from a Caseys gas station pump skimmer or the Target or Home Depot breach. Since then we only use credit option and pay for fuel inside the station. Tried to auto pay bills from checking and were double dipped by our mortgage company Sun (no) Trust and our electric company triple billed us. That was the end of me trusting auto draft payments. Rarely do I carry more than $20.00 in cash unless traveling for more than a day. We Keep about $300 in cash in the gun safe for emergencies .. extended power outages etc.

Unless there's a discount to do so, I use credit cards for everything. My Amex blue card for everyday purchase for which it offers good rebates, such as grocery shopping and fuel. When it's cheaper we add the minimum number of purchases to obtain 15% off for our Amazon Subscribe-and-Save - 5 items - and use our Amazon card to get an additional 5% cash-back. Things like Muesli, Clif bars, diapers, etc. can be much cheaper if purchased this way.

The only time I pay cash, is if a discount is offered. The guys who recently refinished our hardwood floors complained when I offered to pay with my Amex card, preferring check. I reminded him that they initially said that credit cards were 100% A-OK to use when we were shopping around, and that, when we asked if there was a cash discount (i.e., paying by cash/check) they said that they did not offer one. I compromised a little and used my Amazon card, instead of my Amex, after he said that Amex would cost him more.

I pay off my cards every month, so I don't pay any interest. Even if I occasionally decided to carry a balance for more than one statement period, I'd still make out, since I'm gaining hundreds of dollars per year in cash-back.

//

With that said, I try to use cash only for local mom-and-pops places, even if it means going out of my way to draw cash from the ATM.

I also use cash for Craiglist-type purchases, such as for the wheel/tire setup I purchased from someone on one of the Subaru forums I frequent. Saves us the 3% Paypal fee.

100% venture travel rewards CC,even for things as little as a dollar. First I get travel points, then have the credit card linked to Mint which tracks all my spending. I have not carried pocket coins in years. Once a year I cannot use a credit card for something less than a dollar, I just leave the coins with the cashier.

Costco executive Mastercard CC for everything that will accept it. It's amazing the money we get back every year by just using it. It more than pays for the card itself, which is a great deal, imo.

Many think it can only be used at Costco, which is entirely untrue.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I am more of a cash, debit card and check guy. In order of amount of use, what do you use?

I don't get paid in cash, so having to go to a bank or ATM to withdraw it to pay for things is just extra hassle that I avoid as much as possible. Everything gets paid for with rewards CC. The only thing I pay cash for is my haircut.

My good looks.
lol.gif

Credit card everything and pay it off monthly.

Used to do debit card, but get about $500 in rewards this way.

Small purchases, like under a hundred bucks or so, cash.
Gas? Always CC, since this is the most convenient option.
You might be a little ahead using a credit card for every purchase given the rewards but you need to review your statements very carefully for fraudulent charges and the more transactions you have the harder this is to do.

My CC has an online portal (and a phone App if I desire), which I check a couple of times a week.

Buy something on ebay, it will show up within 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back