Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of bored so thought I'd entertain myself. Have an '05 Forester and currently no place to change my own oil. Apartment management frowns on using parking lot. So I've done the quick lube place with high anxiety during the process. Man they're sketchy, young, and have no idea what they're doing.

Anyway, Valvoline synthetic and a cheapo filter I'm sure. Currently at 4500 miles. I'm hoping to change again around 7k-8k miles. Put about 1500/mth on it so about 2-3 more months.

Checked the oil today using white paper towel and it was still a nice amber color, which is meaningless I know, but made me feel confident.

Some people on here seem to think Valvoline isn't the best synthetic choice, at least I've read it here and there while I lurk.

What's your opinion? Will my Forester last 8k intervals or am I guaranteed doom and implosion because I'm not using PP with a $15 filter with 2k change intervals?

Hoping for a bit of knowledge and some entertaining comments.

Valvoline has always rendered good analysis reports here. I use it sometimes when I can get a deal on it. I wouldn't hesitate at all using it again in the future.

No real evidence that I've ever seen that Valvoline is any different than other GroupIII synthetics.
Pennzoil claims Mobil1 gives you cleaner pistons than Valvoline, and their own Platinum & Ultra Platinum cleaner still.
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/power-pennzoil-synthetics/cleanerpistons.html
It could very well be that Valvoline Synpower is really nothing special among synthetics.

I'm always concerned that quick lube shops might not actually give me synthetic oil, instead putting in cheaper conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis

Checked the oil today using white paper towel and it was still a nice amber color, which is meaningless I know, but made me feel confident.

Not meaningless for Iffy Lube, at least it means they actually changed it.

I'm at 109K on my Cruze (1.4L with a bad record for turbo and PCV failures) which has spent 90K of that on Synpower @ 5K intervals, and it purrs like a kitten with zero consumption. My dad's '97 Suburban was at 430K a few months ago - he's used Maxlife blend at 3k-ish intervals since 170K. 90% of the OC's I do at my shop are Maxlife and I have several customers that comment how well their cars run after being under my care for a while.

You can always take it to a Ford Quicklane next time for an oil change. No appt needed, I've been happy with their work, no real upselling, $25 for a synblend oil change, about $50 for a full syn change. Even a Walmart TLE would be better than your typical quick change place esp Jiffy Lube who has now changed their name to Take 5 oil change or something like that.

Take a little time and research some of UOA's that are posted. You'll see that Valvoline Synpower is just as good as any of the other brands.

Well, it's not Jiffy Lube. But similar. You can watch them work on the TV next to your window. So I saw them actually change the oil. And I got a nice discount on a differential drain and fill. Their regular differential price was outrageous given it's easier than an oil change. The lady in my life had never had it done so I figured it couldn't hurt. They did try to sell a bunch of miracles in a bottle and a turn signal bulb. It was burned out, but the apartment doesn't care if I change a bulb because bulbs don't make a mess.

I should add this engine uses about a quart every 2-3k miles. Not unreasonable, but my Honda and Toyota use almost nothing over 5-10k intervals. So annoying that I have to add.

Have an '05 Forester and currently no place to change my own oil. Apartment management frowns on using parking lot.

Find a fleet fuel station on the weekend. They're always empty and you can change the oil off to the side somewhere on clean concrete. Bring Rhino ramps and something to catch the oil in.

washingtoncity-cng-station1-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Have an '05 Forester and currently no place to change my own oil. Apartment management frowns on using parking lot.

Find a fleet fuel station on the weekend. They're always empty and you can change the oil off to the side on clean concrete. Bring Rhino ramps and something to catch the oil in.

Put some cardboard down so there will not be a mess.

My forester is a 2010 and going like new with nearly 125K miles on it now with straight conventional 5w30 and changing oil at the 5K interval, though I went a time or to to 8K with no issues. Even dino oil is good for around 7500 mile OCI especially with lots of mostly highway driving. Now days an 8k OCI is no problem even with dino oil. Have seen many vehicles go over the 400K mark with 5k OCIs. Subaru boxer engines are pretty tough and can easily make it to the 400K mark or even longer. The frame and body will probably rust away long before the engine wears out. Valvoline has always made a fine product, but frankly any oil that is the correct weight and has that starburst is fine. I have had several vehicles go well over 300K and were still going strong. They would be going strong at 300K no matter what oil I used as long as the weight was right and the oil can has that starburst. 300K on the odometer is 300k whether using syn or dino oil. BTW I often see people changing oil in HS parking lots or public library lots on the weekends it is public property and as long as you dont make a mess it is not an issue.

Ive never used valvoline before, its mostly Shell and Mobil and Citgo down here.
Im very happy consumption is way down and engine sounds smooth and quiet.
Most likely will try valvoline maxlife again.

Just keep it topped up.
Valvoline is good stuff.

Genius! I watch Roadkill on MotorTrends YouTube channel and it's hilarious what they do in parking lots... Like rebuild engines!!! LOL

Find a fleet fuel station on the weekend. They're always empty and you can change the oil off to the side somewhere on clean concrete. Bring Rhino ramps and something to catch the oil in.

Genius! I watch Roadkill on MotorTrends YouTube channel and it's hilarious what they do in parking lots... Like rebuild engines!!! LOL

I just watched an epidose yesterday on Netflix. They picked up a crate engine at a Summit Racing retail store and installed in the parking lot. And it was snowing.

Been using Valvoline on and off for maybe 50 years. Been good times and never an engine problem. So if they made sketchy oil, I'm sure i would have blown something up by now
laugh.gif

[/quote]Put some cardboard down so there will not be a mess. [/quote]

In the rental agreement it specifically says no changing oil. #sillyrules

[/quote]Put some cardboard down so there will not be a mess.

In the rental agreement it specifically says no changing oil. #sillyrules[/quote]

Don't change oil, then sue them for a new engine after it seizes.
confused.gif

I love having my own place. I have a used NP241 transfer case on my living room floor, waiting to be torn apart and rebuilt. My house, my rules.

I was a homeowner for a few years. Then life changes happened. Hoping for it again reasonably soon. I miss using my drill, saw, and making messes. I also miss having yardwork. Weird. I know.

I love having my own place. I have a used NP241 transfer case on my living room floor, waiting to be torn apart and rebuilt. My house, my rules. [/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back