Any tips to install a spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The brake pedal return springs on my tractor are off. I have them. I cant figure out how to stretch and install them. They are very stiff.

Any tricks besides vice grips and screwdrivers?

Many screwdrivers. Stick little wedges between each spring coil. Don't give any one position too much or you'll stretch them permanently.

Is there a way you can get all-thread in the middle with appropriate nuts and washers to make an inside-out spring compressor/ expander?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Many screwdrivers. Stick little wedges between each spring coil.

Coins work well for this, too.

I used a ratcheting strap to stretch the spring out and then a large screw driver to “ persuade “ it on on my old JD tractor. Be careful, this could be dangerous and is a tough procedure.

Pictures of the springs?

If they have hooks (tension springs), I use a loop of wire or cable clamped in a vise-grip

Originally Posted By: Shannow
No advice here...every one I've ever done was at considerable personal risk

I think you're thinking of a suspension spring compressor.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Originally Posted By: Shannow
No advice here...every one I've ever done was at considerable personal risk

I think you're thinking of a suspension spring compressor.

Stretching brake drum type springs ain't fun, either... trying to work it over the "nail" using the tip of a screwdriver, sparks flying, etc.

Spring Pull Tool https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-MTD-732-0571-Spring-Pull-Tool/232260443358?epid=1713027439&hash=item3613cd1cde:g:8G4AAOSwiYlaGIxS

I have and use three different sizes of these type of spring pull tools. work very well.
Also used a piece of looped starter rope many times, just make it into a loop, put on gloves, hook the spring and pull into place.

edit: I use these tools on lawn and garden equipment not farm tractors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back