1970's Kubota tractor SAE 80?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I am trying to figure out what's the best thing to replace my trans/hydraulic oil with on my 40+ year old kubota. Manual simply states SAE 80 and previous fluid looked like engine oil. I've been scratching my head at tractorbynet and someone mentioned bob so here I am.
There's basically 2 schools of thought - SAE80W-90, or tractor THF. What say you?

Original fluid spec has been superseded, and THF (please get a quality product, not some low-priced garbage) is the updated recommendation for shared gear drive/hydraulic systems on M4500.

Two, five-gallon pails will get it done.

So regular old tractor supply THF instead of 80w-90?

It sure is hard to find info on old M4500 tractors, is there a good source you're pulling from?

Originally Posted By: Hatch
is there a good source you're pulling from?

If you're going to Tractor Supply, I'd get Rotella HD Tractor Fluid ($49.99/5gal).

grH5CZ9.png

M4500DT
Diesel 6cyl gear driven

Gear driven, but with a hydraulic system. (3 point hitch, loader, or belly mower)

Would this be 2 different fluids?

Hydrostatics on the other hand would be shared.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
M4500DT
Diesel 6cyl gear driven

Gear driven, but with a hydraulic system. (3 point hitch, loader, or belly mower)

No, they all seem to use the same fluid for the trans and hydraulics, even the gear drive ones.

Not sure what you're asking, but yes this is not hydrostatic, it's gear driven and apparently the transmission is lubricated by the shared hydraulic fluid.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
M4500DT
Diesel 6cyl gear driven

No, they all seem to use the same fluid for the trans and hydraulics, even the gear drive ones.

I would check with the local dealer to be certain.

I was in there today asking about a used G series snowblower they had on the lot. I normally check out the selection of oil and they had quarts of Kubota 80w90 on the shelf. Granted, this could be for PTO boxes too.

Not sure what you're asking, but yes this is not hydrostatic, it's gear driven and apparently the transmission is lubricated by the shared hydraulic fluid.

I would confirm this with your dealer.

"Apparently" doesn't sound reassuring.

You just need an updated hydraulic fluid..

Would NOT recommend a generic "303" fluid..
Many issues with those.

anything name brand is fine.

That rotella fluid mentioned above would be an example.

or John Deere Hygard.
https://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/batter...ission_oil.page

I did alot of research for the deere 850 we use to mow with on the farm. Best thing is to stay away from any brand you have never heard of.. and anything saying meets 303 as the highest spec. met.

I have no experience with the TSC hydraulic fluid. I personally would pass.. just from lack of knowledge. Really good brand name stuff isn't that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back