Motorcycle Insurance Best Rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The declarations page Markel emailed me does not show the uninsured motorist and underinsured motorists coverages I selected during the quote process and says that I must choose or reject each, AND if I choose the coverage it will be add'l premium. (!!)

Okay, that might be Bait and Switch ladies and gentlemen, if it's not just a mistake.

The online quote I ran I absolutely chose both coverages and set them to my bodily injury liability coverages of 50/100. It was part of the quote which they quoted for $445. I bought the policy for that price and NOW they are telling me on the Declarations page that my $445 did not purchase the uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverages I'd selected and I will be billed add'l premium to get them.

Going to be making a call to them first of the week. Hopefully a mistake. If not, I'll have to cancel and go with Dairyland's quote.

I’ be been with State Farm for several years and like them. Car, truck , 2 houses and a motorcycle. It might be worth getting a quote from them while you’re at it.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
The declarations page Markel emailed me does not show the uninsured motorist and underinsured motorists coverages I selected during the quote process and says that I must choose or reject each, AND if I choose the coverage it will be add'l premium. (!!)

Okay, that might be Bait and Switch ladies and gentlemen, if it's not just a mistake.

I wouldnt call it bait and switch, something happened during your ordering process for sure, whether it was your computer or there computer (most likely yours) ..
I learned of Markle from other bikers, first problem I ever heard, which isnt a problem, if its not what you think, you just go to another company and what is so great about the internet, for me personally, Markle beat everyone, including Dairyland on my 14 Road King and the bike has every type of coverage on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robster
I've also seen rate-creep occur with some companies that are mentioned in this thread, but it doesn't always happen--case in point: I recently upgraded my pickup truck from a 2015 Ram Express 4X4 with a 3.6L six cylinder engine to a NEW 2017 Ram Big Horn package (many, many more options) 4X4 with 5.7L Hemi V8 engine. I contacted GEICO and transferred the coverage on the 2015 to the 2017--same exact coverage, same deductibles etc.

Imagine my surprise when the customer service rep told me that I'd be getting a modest refund on my premium because the newer truck is cheaper to insure. The newer truck has a sticker price of about $12,000 higher than the 2015. Go figure!

Yes, Robster, it does normally happen. Getting a new vehicle is not anything about rate creep. Rate creep is when your 2017 truck, with many, many options, is worth $10,000 less in three years but the coverage has stayed the same and gone up, then you get quotes from 3 other companies and find out that they are a couple hundred dollars less a year then you have been paying.
Its not uncommon for a new vehicle to have a lower ins. cost then an older one and I would suggest if you compared rates in one year you will find out you are paying more then you should, possibly even now.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I’ be been with State Farm for several years and like them. Car, truck , 2 houses and a motorcycle. It might be worth getting a quote from them while you’re at it.

Im sure you will find, State Farm is not the cheapest out there. Used to have them, biggest mistake ever when I moved down south.
Only way to know, is get quotes online for your truck, car, 2 homes and bike, based on that I would think you will save about $1000. plus a year over the cost of state farm. But maybe not, never know unless you spend a few hours getting quotes.

Only way to know, is get quotes online for your truck, car, 2 homes and bike, based on that I would think you will save about $1000.

^ I did just that. State Farm was cheaper for me. I do reevaluate my insurance every couple of years as you suggest, to keep them honest.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: Robster
I've also seen rate-creep occur with some companies that are mentioned in this thread, but it doesn't always happen--case in point: I recently upgraded my pickup truck from a 2015 Ram Express 4X4 with a 3.6L six cylinder engine to a NEW 2017 Ram Big Horn package (many, many more options) 4X4 with 5.7L Hemi V8 engine. I contacted GEICO and transferred the coverage on the 2015 to the 2017--same exact coverage, same deductibles etc.

Imagine my surprise when the customer service rep told me that I'd be getting a modest refund on my premium because the newer truck is cheaper to insure. The newer truck has a sticker price of about $12,000 higher than the 2015. Go figure!

Yes, Robster, it does normally happen. Getting a new vehicle is not anything about rate creep. Rate creep is when your 2017 truck, with many, many options, is worth $10,000 less in three years but the coverage has stayed the same and gone up, then you get quotes from 3 other companies and find out that they are a couple hundred dollars less a year then you have been paying.
Its not uncommon for a new vehicle to have a lower ins. cost then an older one and I would suggest if you compared rates in one year you will find out you are paying more then you should, possibly even now.

Correct, while not directly related to rate creep, you'd think if the insurance companies were that nefarious they would use the excuse of a more expensive vehicle to hike the rate immediately after a new purchase. For many people, it would pass the "straight face" test since the new vehicle is usually worth more. I fully expected to pay at least a little more premium for this new truck, so I was surprised in this instance when I got a refund and a lower premium quote. I've traded vehicles many times and that has never happened.

Like many of you, I'm not beholden to any particular insurance company and I compare rates at least once per year. For the last few years, GEICO has been kicking butt for me.

Called Markel American. They said the $445/yr was for *no* uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverages. I politely cancelled for refund.

Called Dairyland and confirmed all coverages. Bought the policy @ $405.56 full year. Not bad with recent at-fault (total loss) accident included.

Hey gman and Robster,

Yes, as you can tell, me too, Im only loyal to myself and my family, the insurance companies play games, their computers are actually programmed for it.

I didnt know gman that you check rates, I really was taken for a ride by State Farm for a while after my move and neglected to check rates. We did a lot of personal family business with them, in addition to that, property we own and a business.
No more for me, never again as well as some family members.

Robster, I agree with what you are saying, excuse I was given some years ago was that some newer vehicles had a better safety record and only reason for my response.. Anyway, I never accept a rate increase and will spend a few hours on the computer finding a cheaper company, and hour or two of "work" at each renewal pays me a couple hundred dollars.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Called Markel American. They said the $445/yr was for *no* uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverages. I politely cancelled for refund.

Called Dairyland and confirmed all coverages. Bought the policy @ $405.56 full year. Not bad with recent at-fault (total loss) accident included.

Excellent, Dairyland will stay on my list as a site to check ins quotes, they didnt beat Markel in my case but doesnt matter, as with everything I do, anyone who gives me an online quote gets my business at renewal time, anyone who keeps me at the lowest cost get my loyalty, if they dont stay the cheapest, then one click and they are gone.
(your case is different though, because the accident)

Since we all talk about insurance, its a help to know the coverage compared to price and of course one thing that is a big influence as anything in life is ones personal credit score.
Other things we dont see mentioned are the full stats on what is covered and the deductables.

Also to Loneranger I FORGOT to mention and maybe you were not aware (not that it matters if the price is much higher) BUT MARKLE PAYS FULL REPLACEMENT COST OF THE BIKE FOR THE FIRST 3 YEARS. (please verify for anyone considering markle, it was when I signed up but NOT the reason I signed up, I only go for price but it was kind of neat, never knew another company like that, more so at low price))

Anyway, for fun, thought I would post what I have with Markel: (2014 Harley Road King)

Bodily injury Liability - 100,000/300,000
Property Damage - 50,000
Passenger Liability - 100,000/300,000
Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury - 100,000/300,000
Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury - 100,000/300,000
Uninsured Property Damage - 50,000 (200 deductable)
Underinsured Motorists Property Damage - 50,000
Comprehensive Replacement Cost (500 deductable)
Collision Replacement Cost (1000 deductable)

My Annual Premium = $392.00

Progressive was close in price but then raised me, so off to another company I went.

Last edited:
Another data point. . . I'm a 56 y/o male with no recent accident history and decades of motorcycle experience. I believe the pricing is fair and I like that it has trip interruption coverage as I tend to go distance riding a few times per year. Note: the "not applicable" notations refer to deductibles.

Allstate Insurance Co.

Coverage detail for 2013 Victory Cross
Coverage Limits Deductible Premium
Basic Pedestrian Benefit 5,000 Not applicable $1.37
Motorcycle Liability Insurance - Full Tort
Bodily Injury $100,000 each person
$300,000 each accident
Not applicable $21.25
Passenger Liability is included
Property Damage $50,000 each accident Not applicable $10.29
Motorcycle Collision Insurance Actual cash value $250 $73.58
(Safe Driving Deductible Reward - deductible reduction amount available is $200)
Motorcycle Comprehensive
Insurance
Actual cash value $100 $13.27
Rental Reimbursement Not purchased*
Towing and Labor Costs $100 Not applicable $10.00
Underinsured Motorists Insurance
Full Tort / Nonstacked Limits
$100,000 each person
$300,000 each accident
Not applicable $99.46
Uninsured Motorists Insurance
Full Tort / Nonstacked Limits