Ballistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the wet. I'm just going to leave that here.

I like Rem Oil "with Teflon, New Technology using VCI Technology" despite what they claim it is neither a cleaner or lubricant, but the VCI is excellent in the dry safe. I would never use it on a gun, I just spritz a couple cloths inside the safe, keep the humidity at 40-45%, keep my guns oiled - some wet, some drier. Perfect storage for all guns.

The worst gun product on the market is clearly Ballistol. Complete, utter, stinky gummy junk. Tried it twice, because the first bottle caused so much gumminess I figured it had gone rancid. Actually the second bottle was better (message there!) - but still got gummy in my actions with any heat at all. It clearly is not a good cleaner for modern powders (AR bolt soak test), not a good rust preventer, doesn't lube worth a hoot. Honestly, $1 quart motor oil is better.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The worst gun product on the market is clearly Ballistol. Complete, utter, stinky gummy junk. Tried it twice, because the first bottle caused so much gumminess I figured it had gone rancid. Actually the second bottle was better (message there!) - but still got gummy in my actions with any heat at all. It clearly is not a good cleaner for modern powders (AR bolt soak test), not a good rust preventer, doesn't lube worth a hoot. Honestly, $1 quart motor oil is better.

You are the only person I have ever heard say anything like that. People that don't like black licorice say that Ballistol stinks but that is just a personal preference thing.

Ballistol has over 2,000 reviews on Amazon and has a 4.7 star rating, which is up there with the highest rated products on amazon overall. There are hundreds of positive reviews on midwayusa and the other online giants as well. Almost all of the negative reviews on those sites are just complaints about the smell. If Ballistol really was as bad as you describe, there is no way it would have that much positive feed back.

Also, if you know where to get name brand motor oil for a $1 a quart, please show me. Otherwise, I call B.S. on that as well.

Originally Posted By: AMC

You are the only person I have ever heard say anything like that. People that don't like black licorice say that Ballistol stinks but that is just a personal preference thing.

Ballistol has over 2,000 reviews on Amazon and has a 4.7 star rating, which is up there with the highest rated products on amazon overall. There are hundreds of positive reviews on midwayusa and the other online giants as well. Almost all of the negative reviews on those sites are just complaints about the smell. If Ballistol really was as bad as you describe, there is no way it would have that much positive feed back.

Also, if you know where to get name brand motor oil for a $1 a quart, please show me. Otherwise, I call B.S. on that as well.

Plenty of people don't like Ballistol. And plenty of people don't use it. I've used two bottles. Both sucked, and one was worse than the other. Not at all sure why I am not allowed to have my opinion on a product. Seems odd!

Sure, $1 quart motor oil doesn't exist anymore, that was just a name. But I maintain $2.50 or $3 or whatever motor oil cleans, protects and lubricates better than stinky Ballistol.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
No. Its mediocre at best as a cleaner, mediocre at best as a lube. Basically, bypass it and find no need for it, unless someone gave you a can for free, in which case you can use it up, since it was free.

I have a can of it and I have no idea what to do with it, since it wont touch my guns. The more modern stuff is just so much better.

I guess I should have just posted I agree with bubbatime and left it at that. Sorry for posting.

The problem I see with "lube reviews", be they on Amazon, Midway, or anywhere else, is people don't know if the product actually works or not. Look at how many people jumped on the whole Frog Lube train. They raved about that junk. Now the actual truth is starting to come out. People have found that if they store their guns for any length of time after lubing them with that slop, they become gooey and gummed up.

You have to shoot a lot of rounds over a long period of time, and know what to look for to properly judge a lubricant's effectiveness. Most shooters don't shoot that much. Evaluating rust prevention is a bit easier. But even then, if a person uses and cleans their weapon on a somewhat regular basis, they're not giving the product enough time to judge it's rust prevention qualities either way.

Guns have been successfully lubricated with virtually every lubrication product under the Sun.... The late Pat Rogers even lubricated an AR-15 with Vagisil once. And it made it through one of his high round count training courses without a malfunction. Just to prove how easy it is to keep an AR-15 running, if you simply keep it wet with lube..... Any lube.

Even though Mineral Oil comes from a type of petroleum base, it can and does go rancid over time. When it does it can gum up. Just like Frog Lube. Mineral Oil is the base oil Ballistol is made from. This has been Pablo's experience with it. That is enough to raise the red flag high enough for me not to let it anywhere near my guns. There are hundreds of oils you can apply to a firearm that won't gum up. Including most any and all motor oils. Marketing drives "gun oils", far more than it's actual effectiveness as a lubricant. About the only other product I see more of, that is advertised with as much false hope, are women's age and wrinkle creams on Saturday morning infomercials. And most of them have the name of some famous, good looking person on the bottle, who doesn't need or use them.

Originally Posted By: billt460
The problem I see with "lube reviews", be they on Amazon, Midway, or anywhere else, is people don't know if the product actually works or not. Look at how many people jumped on the whole Frog Lube train. They raved about that junk. Now the actual truth is starting to come out. People have found that if they store their guns for any length of time after lubing them with that slop, they become gooey and gummed up.

If Ballistol was a new product, I could see your argument there. But, Ballistol is not new at all. It has been around in almost the same formulation since the early 1900s. Very few, if any other gun care product has stood the test of time and has that long of a track record like Ballistol.

Even though Mineral Oil comes from a type of petroleum base, it can and does go rancid over time. When it does it can gum up. Just like Frog Lube. Mineral Oil is the base oil Ballistol is made from. This has been Pablo's experience with it. That is enough to raise the red flag high enough for me not to let it anywhere near my guns. There are hundreds of oils you can apply to a firearm that won't gum up.

Pablo is the only person I have ever heard say Ballistol gum's up. If over applied and left out in open air, Ballistol will dry to a light film but it is still very slippery and instantly turns back into liquid when it is agitated and warmed up. There is nothing about over applied Ballistol that is adhesive, rancid or detrimental in any way. Ballistol has current Military NSN's, has been used by government agencies around the world and has a large fan base here, like Hickock45, just to name one. If Ballistol went rancid and didn't at least somewhat do what it claimed, it would have fizzled out years ago, never been approved for military use and would not be as popular as it has been in the past or is currently.

I have talked with other people who have observed the same thing. Did Ballistol get gummy on every gun I used it on? No of course not. Was the 2nd can better than the first can? Yes, yes it was. The first can was absolute garbage. I'm starting to not care if you believe me or not, but the hardening snot in the last 1/4 of the first can was not something I wanted on my guns. Most people I know, in fact, buy one can and never buy more. I wonder why???

No USA military uses Ballistol. Funny thing, I posted very similar comments on Hickok45's youtube page. He deleted the comments. He didn't want to discuss it. AND for sure Midway rarely allows one and two star reviews. They just are not published.

Why are you defending Ballistol so much?

I have talked with other people who have observed the same thing. Did Ballistol get gummy on every gun I used it on? No of course not. Was the 2nd can better than the first can? Yes, yes it was. The first can was absolute garbage. I'm starting to not care if you believe me or not, but the hardening snot in the last 1/4 of the first can was not something I wanted on my guns. Most people I know, in fact, buy one can and never buy more. I wonder why???

No USA military uses Ballistol. Funny thing, I posted very similar comments on Hickok45's youtube page. He deleted the comments. He didn't want to discuss it. AND for sure Midway rarely allows one and two star reviews. They just are not published.

Why are you defending Ballistol so much?

Hardening snot, huh? Sounds like you got a defective can or an imitation product. Take pictures of that and post it here and to Ballistol's customer service, they might have given you a refund.

My gallon can of Ballistol is probably 10 years old, only has about 1/4th left in it and still looks, feels and smells like it did the day I got it.

Ballistol is approved for military use and does have a Nato Supply Number. That means anyone authorized to make purchases on behalf of a Nato military unit can order it at any time. And we all know that many junk oils that gum up get that approval....

https://nationalstocknumber.info/part-number/BALLISTOL_013917059

Hickock45 probably deleted your comments because he found them strange and not helpful. He owns and shoots a lot of guns, if Ballistol was not working for him, he probably wouldn't use it or recommend it. Hickock45 only has two sponsors, Bud's gun shop and Federal ammunition. The kicker is that Bud's gun shop does not sell Ballistol and Federal has no connection to Ballistol either. And No, I am not connected to or work for Ballistol. I think you can put your conspiracy away with that one...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ballistol

I don't use Ballistol quite as much these days but I still think it is a good product for what it is and I still find good use for it. Your negative experiences with Ballistol and other products (Corrosion-X was it?) discussed on this site have to be the rarest and strangest I have ever heard. I initially replied here to provide feedback about Ballistol in order help the O.P. and I still think I am doing that, more than you are. That being said, Why are you bashing Ballistol so much?

......Did Ballistol get gummy on every gun I used it on? No of course not. Was the 2nd can better than the first can? Yes, yes it was. The first can was absolute garbage. I'm starting to not care if you believe me or not, but the hardening snot in the last 1/4 of the first can was not something I wanted on my guns. Most people I know, in fact, buy one can and never buy more. I wonder why???

I think the biggest issue with Ballistol revolves around shelf life. Along with where and how it is stored. I can all but guarantee you the first can you had was rancid, or else close to it. Perhaps due to storing it in too hot of a temperature, over too long of a period of time. Then, when you applied it, and it was subjected to the air, it gummed up quickly.

I live in Phoenix. In the Summer months it can get well over 110F. Inside a closed garage with 2 hot vehicles parked inside, that temperature can easily top 130F. In that kind of climate a biodegradable product stored on a garage shelf, is going to go bad very quickly. Where motor oil, WD-40, LPS, and other products will last all but indefinitely. So if you live in Fargo or Duluth, Ballistol is going to keep much longer than in a hot desert climate.

This holds true of most any bio degradable product or lubricant. High ambient temperatures bring out the worst, the fastest in products like Ballistol. So I simply avoid them. And you have to remember, if you are just applying Ballistol on a knife, axe, or tools to prevent rust. It's not going to matter if it gets a bit tacky or even gummy. But on a firearm it can cause unreliability real fast in that condition. The bottom line is why bother with it when there are so many better products that won't gum up or go bad over time? For me, it's just not worth screwing with.

Just relating my experience from 8 years ago. I don't think I am bashing. Of course I don't have any left. I go through a lot of cleaning products and I know what works for me.

And I am telling you, no military branch purchases Ballistol.

The other issue with Ballistol is much like Frog Lube. The problems seem to start with long term storage, rather than regular use. Guys like Hickok are all but constantly shooting and cleaning their weapons. He shoots guns every day. Many times several at once. So whatever he uses is not going to have time to go bad. It will be cleaned off and reapplied before anything negative can happen. Where as for someone who stores their weapons for months at a time, it can cause that weapon to become gummed up.

Some time back I posted where I ran into a guy who had lubed his AR-15 with Frog Lube and stored it in his safe for a good 6 months. When he brought it to the range to shoot it with his son, it was a gummed up mess that wouldn't run. I'm willing to bet he would have had a similar experience with Ballistol, as both products are biodegradable.

Just relating my experience from 8 years ago. I don't think I am bashing. Of course I don't have any left. I go through a lot of cleaning products and I know what works for me.

Fair enough.

And I am telling you, no military branch purchases Ballistol.

I am telling you, my unit did!

That is how I learned about Ballistol. The 65th Military Police Company out of Fort Bragg, NC back in 2004. Our armorer called up Ballistol to place a small order just for the joes (lower enlisted soldiers) to try out and mess around with. Ballistol sent almost a full case at the smaller order price and everyone who tried it either liked it and said it was a good cleaner or hated it because they hate the smell of it. Even in the hot, dusty conditions of central Iraq, Ballistol did not gum up or cause any problems. Compared to the standard issue Breakfree or Royco CLP (can't remember which it was back then), Almost everyone who tried it, agreed that Ballistol was a better cleaner but maybe not quite as good of a lubricant as the CLP at the time. Even Today, I would agree with that assessment.

The other issue with Ballistol is much like Frog Lube. The problems seem to start with long term storage, rather than regular use. Guys like Hickok are all but constantly shooting and cleaning their weapons. He shoots guns every day. Many times several at once. So whatever he uses is not going to have time to go bad. It will be cleaned off and reapplied before anything negative can happen. Where as for someone who stores their weapons for months at a time, it can cause that weapon to become gummed up.

Some time back I posted where I ran into a guy who had lubed his AR-15 with Frog Lube and stored it in his safe for a good 6 months. When he brought it to the range to shoot it with his son, it was a gummed up mess that wouldn't run. I'm willing to bet he would have had a similar experience with Ballistol, as both products are biodegradable.

The difference between Frog Lube and Ballistol is that Frog Lube was plant oil based at one point in it's formulation. Ballistol has always been refined mineral oil based with a very small plant oil based (anise oil) additive. From my understanding, Frog lube has majorly changed formulas at least a half dozen times since it first came out. It almost isn't even worth mentioning your experiences with frog lube at this point because who knows which formulation of frog lube you had at the time.

All this being said, Yes I concur that Ballistol may not be the best for long term storage but not because it gums up; but because it is slightly hygroscopic and can absorb moisture out of the air in moist conditions. I also do not recommend you store your firearms long term in moist conditions, but that is a given.

Originally Posted By: AMC
The difference between Frog Lube and Ballistol is that Frog Lube was plant oil based at one point in it's formulation. Ballistol has always been refined mineral oil based with a very small plant oil based (anise oil) additive. From my understanding, Frog lube has majorly changed formulas at least a half dozen times since it first came out. It almost isn't even worth mentioning your experiences with frog lube at this point because who knows which formulation of frog lube you had at the time.

All this being said, Yes I concur that Ballistol may not be the best for long term storage but not because it gums up; but because it is slightly hygroscopic and can absorb moisture out of the air in moist conditions. I also do not recommend you store your firearms long term in moist conditions, but that is a given.

Just to be clear, I have NEVER used Frog Lube, and never will. I would never use a plant ester based lubricant on firearms. Mostly because of it going rancid, and not offering any improvement over petro based oils and lubes. And I have seen too many examples of it going bad on guns to even consider it's use. I had read Frog Lube was desperately trying to get away from all the bad press it's been getting lately by changing it's formula. But regardless of how many times they change the formula, it will still go bad if they continue to manufacturer it from plant esters. Which they still are based on the fact of how safe they keep claiming it is for the environment.

Here in Arizona moisture is not a problem, so most any petro based oil or lube will keep rust off weapons. The exception is the misuse of evaporative coolers, which can bring up indoor relative humidity levels to dangerous levels for guns. Most newer homes don't have them. Just so you don't think I'm bashing Ballistol, I feel the same about ANY biodegradable lubricant. There is nothing in any of them to pull me away from petroleum based oils and greases for firearms use. And if the little amount of petro based oil I consume for my personal use on firearms, is actually "damaging" the environment, we would have all been dead long ago.

I said it in other threads. I too have seen it gum up my guns. I used it on my old mil surps that don't get shot much and the stuff turned to a tacky varnish like substance over a two year period.

It is a lubricant designed and put into place almost 10 years before WW1. Back then...it stood out as great compared to its competitors. Heck Vaseline was used as a gun lube and protectant back then too. However, now its merely mediocre in performance. I feel the same about old orange bottle Hoppes as a gun oil. But Ballistol is overpriced for what it is and what it does. If you don't mind spending the cash on it, go for it. I just think there are better products for the money out there that have the benefit of being developed in the more modern era of science and technology.

Last edited:

You make a good point. I've used Ballistol, mainly on the recommendation of Hickok 45. But I haven't lubed a gun and let it sit for a long time, so I couldn't say for sure that it wont' gum up.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
....... I just think there are better products for the money out there that have the benefit of being developed in the more modern era of science and technology.

Good point, and I agree. Time alone has caused it to lose effectiveness. 104 years is a long time regarding the science of lubrication. The settlers and frontiersmen used to "grease" their wheel hubs on their covered wagons with tallow and various types of animal fat. It got them from the Great Plains of the Midwest, all the way to San Francisco. That doesn't mean that today you would want to repack the wheel bearings on your Camaro with it for the same journey.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Is Ballistol really as good as people claim it to be?
21.gif

My dad (BlueOvalFitter) and I tried the Ballistol. We both like it very much. My dad cleaned my grandfathers Winchester .22 pump rifle (Made 1939) with it. He has the before and after pics on his phone, but he can't post them because he's on vacation.
He even used it on the wood stock. Let's just say, WOW! That stuff is super slippery, if that's a different way of describing it. I own a S&W Sport 2 and a S&W M2.0 Compact 9mm. I haven't tried the Ballistol on either one, but will after tomorrow. Me and my dad are going to my grandfathers house to shoot. My dad built a range in his back yard by the edge of the soybean field back in 2009. It's a huge dirt hill with target stands in front of it. I want to shoot my AR then clean it with the Ballistol. Being we are new to it, any advice is very much appreciated.

Just so you don't think I'm bashing Ballistol, I feel the same about ANY biodegradable lubricant. There is nothing in any of them to pull me away from petroleum based oils and greases for firearms use. And if the little amount of petro based oil I consume for my personal use on firearms, is actually "damaging" the environment, we would have all been dead long ago.

Sorry, what basis do you have that the oils in ballistol aren't petroleum based?

I wouldn't be concerned about damaging the environment, but I wouldn't necessarily want lubricating ok additives on parts that contact my skin. IMO that's where ballistol shines. Wiped down an M1917 and 15-3 with it and they look beautiful, no worries about wood contact, and I can easily pick them up and go.

Doesn't/shouldn't mean that for actual wear/touch points, something more modern and surface active shouldn't be used. Just wondering what other competitive product can do what I stated the way ballistol can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back