Mechanics advice on 5.9 Dodge Magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.
My trusted mechanic thought I should try running Castrol GTX 20w-50 instead of 10w-30 to see if that helps with some oil consumption first before assuming a plenum intake manifold gasket problem. I am thinking high mileage oil instead (10w 30). What do you all think? Thanks again for the advice and help.

Last edited:
I think you should just fix the dang gasket already (after verifying if that is the problem)

Do you know what "troubleshooting" pertains to?

It sounds like you just want to change stuff....
....not find out what the REAL problem is.

Your trusted mechanic needs to diagnose things instead of using the method known to elementary school math teachers as "guess and check".

Yes, I am a little surprised as well. Maybe caught him on a bad day. Will order the Hughes Kit and be done with it. Thanks for the advice and time. Really appreciate it.

What grade does the engine spec, 5' or 10w30? Any mechanic that suggests running an oil that much thicker in a stock engine in an attempt at anything other than a short-term, stop-gap fix (even then it's a stretch) has some serious catching up to do.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
2003 Dodge Durango 5.9...94,500 miles. Concerned about oil consumption. 1.5 quarts every 3,000 miles or so. Using Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30, yearly OCI. Should I try a high mileage 10w-30 or go straight to a 5w-40. No smoke, leaks, etc. Interested in combating oil consumption. Any advice on this motor.

^ From another thread. Sometimes with that oil it takes a few intervals for the consumption to level off. Same thing with Pennzoil Ultra. Just keep using it and see if the consumption gets better. And below from 1/8/18:

Not convinced it is Plenum...probably going to fix with Hughes Kit anyway. Curious what High Mileage oils were good to start using going forward. Thanks and I promise no more threads on this issue.

Thanks BrocLuno. I apologize to all for so many similar threads. Will not happen again.

Thanks to all. Been hard to diagnose without removing parts. Looked down throttle body and their is some dark discoloration, but no puddles of oil. I have no other symptoms of Plenum other than oil consumption. Car sat for a week and absolutely no smoke at start up or rough ideling, etc. Changed PCV with OEM. I apologize if I have annoyed anyone with my circular oil consumption posts. I have decided to do Plenum and hope that is it. Thanks for putting up with posts.

I apologize if I have annoyed anyone with my circular oil consumption posts. I have decided to do Plenum and hope that is it. Thanks for putting up with posts.

No problem...

We are just trying to keep you from "Loading up the parts shotgun" and blasting away (hoping any number of them fixes the problem.

I would diagnose it first before ordering anything.

I appreciate it. I am going to have it looked into for sure before throwing uneeded money into it. Probably a little over my head in taking throttle body and intake manifold out to diagnose. I will update everyone on what I find. Appreciate everyone's help and patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back