Anybody Else Underwhelmed by Takeout Pizza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit, I like a LOT of toppings - especially veggies - on my pizza, and pizzas from your common takeout/delivery joints are just really skimpy on the toppings. I can't figure out whether these places have started putting fewer toppings (a la Subway), or if I've just developed a preference for a lot more toppings.

You ask for extra mushrooms and their idea of extra mushrooms is half a handful of sliced mushrooms (like 8 more slices than they'd normally put) spread out over a large pizza.

Anyway, I've quit ordering pizza and started buying frozen pizza and "doctoring it up" at home. The frozen pizzas they sell at Walmart (DiGiorno's or Sam's Choice brand) are pretty good (acceptable, at least), and I'll slice up half an onion, a bunch of bell pepper, tons of mushrooms, jalapenos, and sometimes even tomatoes, spinach and some extra sausage, and put all that on there.

Now I'm spoiled on having all those extra toppings on my pizza
smile.gif

I'm even starting to think about how I can make an even better pizza at home. Maybe buy one of those Boboli's crusts and buy my own tomato sauce & mozzarella. Anybody tried those?

John,

When you pick up your pizza, open up the box and if you're not happy with the amount of toppings you paid extra for..... you need to complain.

One time I ordered ground beef as a topping, there was a tiny 'dusting' of ground beef on my pizza.
I complained and they didn't charge me for the beef topping.

Little Caesars has driven the price and quality of pizza down, the others are just trying to stay in the low price game.

I don’t do fast food or takeout pizza.

Local coal fired place back home makes best pizza and calzones. It’s a small restaurant so no delivery. It’s very good

To the OP I just gotta say....."Good Call!"

I grew up with my Mom doctoring up frozen pizzas.
It is the way to go....and we lived where there were MANY REAL GOOD pizzerias (still do and the pizzerias are still here).

Actually, my Dad worked two jobs and Mom didn't drive BUT delivered pizzas were out of the question.
The frozen jobs of the day were AA+. Personalized toppings make 'em even better.
Did I mention that it's a cheaper way to go?

Also remember that most mass produced food is bland so Grandma and Grandpa don't get upset tummies.
This applies to pizzas too.

ABSOLUTELY try your hand at pouring sauce on a pre-made crust then cheese then the toppings. You'll find it real easy to do.
Just keep in mind that the Boboli crusts are a "national brand" and is priced to reflect the arts & crafts angle as well as a "family gatherings" premium.
That means they're expensive.

I've made pizza dough several times. It rally is just one more step.

ENJOY the involvement and feeling of satisfaction while doing this.

Buy the dough and make the pizza at home.

Let the dough rise
EVOO on the pizza dough & sheet/pan
Sprinkle in some corn meal for the bottom of the dough
Add your favorite pizza sauce or homemade sauce & toppings
Put it in the oven till it's done to your liking

I always get Freshetta or DiGiorno, whichever is on sale for $4. Those are as good as delivery to me considering the price difference. I think take out pizza is a giant rip off and it isn't that good. Winco has Tony's for $1.99, not the best frozen but add a bunch of shredded Mozzarella during the last 5 minutes in the oven and it sure is acceptable. Lot's of cheese makes all the difference.

In light of the Dominos thread, I remember it being a huge deal getting pizza from them as a kid. It used to be them way before Pizza Hut. Dominos has been gone for well over 20 years and Pizza Hut's quality has dropped off the face of the Earth. (Haven't been in one in almost 4 years.) Take out just isn't what is used to be with these places I guess.

We have a somewhat local place that does the fire oven thing. Awesome crust with generous toppings. Huge always changing craft beer menu too. A nice rough IPA with pizza is fine dining.

Last edited:
The last great pizza was when I was at Long Island NY in th late 1970's . It is sad to say that Costco Pizzas seem to be at least as good as the best if not actually better.

I am forever ruined by growing up in western New York.

The pizza in Texas is not good. There are some pub restaurants that try really hard, but its not the same.

I am on a keto diet so I don't eat much pizza at all anymore.

Our of all the chain type pizza places, I like little caesars deep dish the best.

Sad because its like a four dollar pizza made of who knows what.

Justin, I beg to differ. I have lived in Texas 41 years after living in New Jersey as a child. There are several authentic NY and Chicago style pizzerias in my area and I have compared their wares to recommended pizza places in NYC and Northern NJ in recent years. There is a place called Nick's near me that makes almost exactly what you would get on the east coast. It's a family owned place that's been here since 1994 and it's not the only one.

Short story is that you can find almost any kind of food anywhere if you exert the effort.

Pizza is all about LOTS of cheese!! Nothing [censored] me off more than pizza places who act like they have to ration out the cheese. Another scam is pizza places that say something like "two extra toppings at no charge" BUT won't let you use extra cheese as one of those toppings. It's because they know everyone likes extra cheese and that's their way of nickel and diming you. The best frozen pizzas imo are Jack's and Tombstone Brick Oven. As a matter of fact,I'm going to grab a pizza for my dinner tonight,I've been craving one for awhile.

Here's the BEST pizza hands down!! This is the kind you grab the slice,fold it up,and stuff it into you face!! Brooklyn's Best in Arlington,Texas.

http://brooklynsbestpizza.restaurantwebexpert.com

Thursdays at MjrHS was "pizza" day. English muffins, tomato sauce, and govt cheese, Sounds groty, but was pretty darn good actually. Bottom rung on the pizza ladder. No where but up from that. Latest is a 5 topping,extra crispy, ham.pineapple, green peppers, mushrooms and onions. From a Papa Gino's downtown.
When the Sailor is on shore, he makes up a batch of dough and keeps it refrigerated. It is one of the few non- meat foods the 3 yr old likes.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
I always get Freshetta or DiGiorno, whichever is on sale for $4. Those are as good as delivery to me considering the price difference. I think take out pizza is a giant rip off and it isn't that good. Winco has Tony's for $1.99, not the best frozen but add a bunch of shredded Mozzarella during the last 5 minutes in the oven and it sure is acceptable. Lot's of cheese makes all the difference.

The better brands of frozen pizza are certainly as good as anything you'll get delivered or for takeout and much cheaper to boot.
As long as you have an oven, you're good to go.
It also isn't all that hard to make yeast dough for a scratch made pizza. This is kind of a fun way to while away a cold weekend afternoon and it does fill the house with a lovely yeasty scent.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Anyway, I've quit ordering pizza and started buying frozen pizza and "doctoring it up" at home.

Same here.

I can't stand "skimpy" pizza. There's just no point to it.

Exactly, it is so easy and far far cheaper to make your own pizza and it is 100 times better as well. Valentinos is the best pizza in this town (Licoln, NE,IMO but a large is 15 to $20 and even by buying pre made pizza crusts it is still far cheaper than Val's. For Take and bake pizza, Papa Murphys is pretty good but still cannot match home made in taste or value

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back