2018 Crosstrek first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weather got really nice and could get the first change out of he way with 3k on it little early but what the heck. Apparently David Banner was hired at Subaru for installing drain plugs. Much creative language and a 1/2 inch break bar and a 6point socket and about all I could have on it craaaaack it came loose [censored] anything 3/8 was useless on its powers.
Drain plug off gasket has to be on it right yep I think can’t get my nail underneath it what is this now small screwdriver right nope you Fn kidding me razor blade and cut around the gasket yep painted tight to it pop it broke loose.
Looking down at the oil filter Subaru on top of the engine I like that this should be fun little strap wrench and dang near came off had tight well something has to go my way. OEM filter and 5.1 Qts 0w20 just went with Amsoil XL back in service ready for spring change. All good all the factory initial changes done and had many tough ones I almost broke down and let dealer deal with the initial dump.

Those robots at the factory tighten things up really well. I’d hate to shake hands with one.

Large channelock pliers have been my favorite for filters. I never had much luck with strap wrenches.

Harbor freight has a decent pair of the oil filter adjustable pliers, mine have held up for 5 years in a professional setting

OP, I take care of my recently divorced sister-in-law's 2017 Outback. I'm 64 years old and have been working on cars since age 16. When I did the first oil change on her new Subie, I had to use an 16" breaker bar to get the drain plug loosened!

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
OP, I take care of my recently divorced sister-in-law's 2017 Outback. I'm 64 years old and have been working on cars since age 16. When I did the first oil change on her new Subie, I had to use an 16" breaker bar to get the drain plug loosened!
Scott

Last edited:
Had an easy time getting the drain plug out of our newer Forester for its first change.
The only surprise was that it was a 14 mm rather than the 17 mm found on most older offshore brand stuff.
The belly pan and the little hatch that you remove to get at the drain plug is a bit of a pain.
The top mounted filter was a real pleasure, so easy.

If you really get stuck taking off the oil filter you can just pound a flat blade screwdriver through the can and then twist it off. Need more torque, try a longer screwdriver. If it really gets tough you can always add a length of pipe. It will come off.

Here's one of many on Youtube that may help for those that encounter one or are like my Father that thinks tight as humanly possible is best.
mad.gif

Many of the tricks/tips on youtube, however, are not possible due to the filter placement/location, but the trick is to always oil/lube the new O-ring with fresh oil and to only install one about a 1/2 - 3/4's more when the gasket makes contact with the filter mounting surface.

I recently did the first change on my 17 Avalon. First pull on the socket wrench and the plug came right off. It was a good day. The worst was getting the filter off my wife's 09 Acadia when it was new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back