Would you all use a slightly damaged head gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my headgaskets arrived in the mail yesterday and looks like I wasn't handled properly for an item placed in a cushioned envelope. At the top of the gasket near the pushrod holes there's a crease with some very faint cracks in the sealing material, there was also two small gouges in the sealing material on opposite sides of the gasket aside from a very slight bend that wasn't immediatley noticeable. None of this damage occurs anywhere near the coolant passages of the water jacket or the crush area around the combustion chambers and I was also planning on using copper spray-a-gasket on it anyways since it's recommended by a few companies on the 3.8. Would you all run the gasket as is or should I try and see if RockAuto will exchange it for me? I'm a regular customer of theirs and have had no issues with returning any items to them.

I agree with motor_oil_madman, why take a chance on doing the job twice. Contact Rock Auto, they will send you a new gasket to replace the defective one.

The time and trouble of installing a head, new head bolts etc. Not worth it. Save what $30? I'd use another gasket.

Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
item placed in a cushioned envelope.

A cushioned envelope is a poor choice for shipping a headgasket. I can just picture my mailman folding it in half to get it to fit in my mailbox.

I would not use it.

No way I'd go to the trouble of installing the heads and buttoning everything back up with a damaged HG.
This is not a job you want to do twice and RA will willing replace a part damaged in shipping, especially since it should have been shipped in a hard cardboard box and not an envelope.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
item placed in a cushioned envelope.

A cushioned envelope is a poor choice for shipping a headgasket. I can just picture my mailman folding it in half to get it to fit in my mailbox.

I would not use it.
I'm filing a complaint regardless. Last week the carrier almost struck my vehicle and yesterday they left the envelope on a wet lawn chair in the middle of a downpour.

Get the part returned/replaced THEN file your complaint.

In the future consider the fragility of the part before using any ship-to-home parts place.

Many years ago I had the sensible option of having a recored radiator delivered form 3 miles away. It was a Friday.

I went for a new one in a clean, crisp box from a clean, tidy shelf.

DGMW (Don't Get Me Wrong) I love RockAuto.
I just received an O2 sensor from them 2 days ago.
How the careless warehouse help throws something like a big old head gasket into a box is something you needn't learn about.
Assume they do it badly.

Return it and get your money back.

Buy the part at a local parts store. Perhaps AAP paired with a discount code.

They are going to issue a refund and Ill just reorder using UPS. Odd part is they didnt immediately request a return. Only thing Im concerned about now is the other gasket and the pushrods.

NO!
31.gif

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Are you okay with doing the job twice?
That is what I would think about.+1

I am not sure for your engine but in a lot of cases, the headbolt is one time use.
So, you will need to buy those twice for rework.

Just another consideration.

Originally Posted By: Kira

In the future consider the fragility of the part before using any ship-to-home parts place.

Huh? Not your job to get the part safely to you.

RA issued a refund immediately and for $2 extra i got it shipped priority mail which has insurance coverage. Hoping my other gasket and pushrods dont end up damaged. However if the do it wont look good on the carriers part if I file another complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back