Wife got a brand new Fit...got oil ???s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking thru a Honda parts site...they sell Genuine Honda Full Synthetic 0w-20 for little under $7 a quart. And filters about $5.

Normally Id run Amsoil. As I did we her last new car (2013 Spark) and with my Yaris when I bought it new. I change out the oil at 1500miles to Amsoil Signiture and in case of the Yaris, Amsoil filter. (Spark I ran AC delco)

I am starting to think that may be overkill.

Is it a bad idea to just stick with all honda oil and filter especially since its a smidgen cheaper.

If it was mine I'd use PP/Mobil 1 for the same price and a fram ultra. Your plan is good too.

Honda says to leave the factory fill in for the full OCI suggested by the MM.

You can use any 0w20 with no problems. The OEM Honda filter is just a Fram orange can.

Wow thanks for the fast replies guys. I had no idea the FF was that good, but now it would make sense. Ill let it ride out.

I do all the work on our cars minus detailing (my friend does it)...I even told them to not wash it as I didn't want any dealer installed swirls in the paint LOL

I was already underneath the car today on the lift looking at everything and check the tire pressures (these cars ride very well for little tires) i thought the tires were low.

Last edited:
I'm 100% sure the Honda Genuine oil filters are the exact same as Fram Tough Guard, NOT the Orange Fram extra guard. Because the Tough Guard is the silver can, with synthetic blend media and silicone anti-drain back valve, good for 10,000 miles

Did not know of 0w-16. Pretty wild. Thanks for the info.

Ive bever been a fan of Fram filters, but OE is still OE. Great now I am mental debate about filters.

I also have a Fit, a little older than yours.

I have been using Mobil 1 0w30 AFE (advanced fuel economy) lately.

I have used 0w20, 0w30, 5w20 and 5w30.. fuel mileage has always hovered around the same with no clear winners.

The only "overkill" I see in your OP is that fact you may be using an Amsoil Oil Filter for such a few miles. That was my dilemma. I always change my oils at 5K but if I only use an Amsoil Oil Filter for 5K then I am probably wasting money. Then you figure you pay $10 more for one of the best oil filters out there. If I change my oil 4 times a year, I have spent $40 more for a super duper oil filter that gets minimum use.

Wow, $40 a year! I waste that much money on coffee in a month. So, I had a hard time deciding whether to stay with the Amsoil Filters or change. I then got to thinking that I could leave the Amsoil filter on for 10k and merely change my oil at 5K. Now THAT made sense to me. I did it one time and didn't feel good for 5K. I resolved my "problem" by going to the OEM Dealer Oil Filter and doing my synthetic oil change every 5K.

I am now at peace. At least until the next oil change...

It is not a bad idea to use Honda oil and Honda oil filter. Perfectly acceptable. The question is, "Can you leave Amsoil and still feel good about how your new car is being taken care of?" You are the only person that can answer that question.

Originally Posted By: rojeda562
I'm 100% sure the Honda Genuine oil filters are the exact same as Fram Tough Guard, NOT the Orange Fram extra guard. Because the Tough Guard is the silver can, with synthetic blend media and silicone anti-drain back valve, good for 10,000 miles

It isn’t a Tough Guard either. There are also some that aren’t Fram at all.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4622645/

The media is not the same as a TG7317.

Unless Honda has changed it recently the Honda service interval for the filter will be every other oil change, so potentially 20,000ish miles on the filter.

Last edited:
Run what makes you happy. The cost difference is minimal after 5-7,000 miles. We spend money on $ 4.00 coffees and fast food all the time.

I'd go with the FF and dealership changes through the warranty period.

It'll help you sell the car if need be.

OCI machinations during the warranty period is a small gamble. Why give any dealer the chance to deny you a warranty clam?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Run what makes you happy. The cost difference is minimal after 5-7,000 miles. We spend money on $ 4.00 coffees and fast food all the time.

So true....

Originally Posted By: rojeda562

The OEM Honda Frams use the orange can's media but with a silicone ADBV
smile.gif

Fram recently started using the silicone ADBV in the orange cans now, and some of them are available in stores now. For example, I have seen the silicone in part numbers such as PH3593A, PH6607, and PH4967. The one for the OP's Fit is probably PH7317, which should be available with teh silicone by the end of the month, but could already be available now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back