Volvo VIDA/DICE-anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTK

Just got Volvo Vida set up on my computers, version 2014D. Chinese cracked version I assume. Will tell you just about anything you want to know about the car. Will also run tests on most components. Very complicated piece of software. My DICE unit that came with the software was faulty and am getting a new one in a few days. Anyone have experience with using VIDA/DICE?

I've heard VIDA isn't compatible with my '98. Instead I need to use VADIS. I haven't gotten around to obtaining a DICE box. Would be very handy to have though as I do the vast majority of my own wrench turning.

Guys on a few Volvo forums I frequent use this, but honestly I've been able to diagnose all issues so far with my plain Jane code reader.

Always been curious, what does VIDA DICE stand for anyways?

Really? You have a plain Jane code reader which can peer into the code log and assign the prefix letters from all 11 or 13 nodes?

(ECM-1234 or ACC-5678 etc.) where ECM = Engine Control Module and ACC=Automatic Climate Control etc.)

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I've heard VIDA isn't compatible with my '98. Instead I need to use VADIS. I haven't gotten around to obtaining a DICE box. Would be very handy to have though as I do the vast majority of my own wrench turning.

I think that is correct. VIDA 2014D is for 1999 through 2015.5. Later versions for more current models.

Mine's not a "plain jane" reader but was volvo specific. does both OBD and volvo codes. I think it was made by iCarSoft. It was a little wonky to first get its FW updated when I bought it but has been good for diagnosing both OBD II (on and off the volvos) as well as reading the realtime data to/from other modules.

Where VIDA/DICE improves is that it can send commands, initiate more tests, and I think even perform calibrations and FW updates. The icarsoft unit can reset the CEL and the airbag light and a couple of other basic errors but doesn't do commands, changes, updates, calibrations.

icarsoft was on amazon for like 100 bux or so.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Really? You have a plain Jane code reader which can peer into the code log and assign the prefix letters from all 11 or 13 nodes?

(ECM-1234 or ACC-5678 etc.) where ECM = Engine Control Module and ACC=Automatic Climate Control etc.)

I haven't had the need for that.
21.gif

I guess I shouldn't say plain Jane. You can select the vehicle manufacturer if that matters.

Last edited:
Volvo VIDA, once you enter the VIN number, or have it read by DICE, will give you the Volvo part number for just about anything on the car. For example, I found the part number for the transmission fill plug using it. So, it is much more than something to erase fault codes, but can send signals to retract the electronic parking brake when changing pads, or actuate the window motors, etc. It is worth having for those cars covered by the release if you work on your car. AS I said it is an extremely complex program, runs SQL Server, and takes up about 40GBs of disk space and needs at least 4 GB RAM. For cars 2016 and newer it is no longer available by CD, but only through online subscription with Volvo.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

You need VOL-FCR, for the 98. Same concept as VIDA, just the older version.

VIDA-DICE, is an amazing tool for any Volvo owner whom
Is inclined to work on their own cars, well worth the expense. Dice units can be had on eBay for $75 or so. I use one of those and a dedicated laptop that was loaded with both a good VIDA program and Vol-FCr for about $100. The software that comes with the bootleg dice units is usually [censored].

I ran mine as a virtual Win XP with the 2014D software and a known real DICE unit from Europe. There was/is some pretty good web training on how to use it but you MUST be running an older version of IE (Win XP version) for it to work. I had all that on my VM.
Since I've sold my Volvo, I'm looking to part with the DICE unit and software disks. Rarely used.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
I ran mine as a virtual Win XP with the 2014D software and a known real DICE unit from Europe. There was/is some pretty good web training on how to use it but you MUST be running an older version of IE (Win XP version) for it to work. I had all that on my VM.
Since I've sold my Volvo, I'm looking to part with the DICE unit and software disks. Rarely used.

List it on Swedespeed.com, you’ll sell it quickly.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

PM sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back