Bosch D+ 3410, ~ 5000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Bosch D+ filter (one of the Walmart clearance ones) off my brother in laws '04 F150 with the 5.4.
Has around 5000 miles on the filter (currently 164,xxx miles on the truck, last change was @ 159,650), 9 months in service.

Filter:

F06H29F1 = June 29, 2016:

Yup, it is a Purolator made filter:

Silicone ADV looks great, no cuts:

Metal crimp seam, no tears, but the Purolator string is back (did not know they were still using them).
Decent pleat spacing all around:

Not sure what this dent is. It is possible I did it while cutting the filter open, but not likely.
Not a huge issue if present during oil change:

Louvers, all open:

Inside the can, a little debris:

And the media cut open, yuck. Lots of carbon and metal flakes:

I am not sure what the life of this engine will be. The last three oil changes have had lots of metal, although this one has less than the last one (less copper/brass looking material though), but still lots of carbon and silver (iron/steel) bits.

I put on another D+ with some Castrol GTX High mileage 5w-20.

You did a very good job here blupupher. I saw this filter last pm at Wally World in Mechanicsville. $3 it said on a sticker. Wasn't my size though.

phasers been replaced yet? Maybe try 5w30?
We have been running that in my families 06 5.4 since
We replaced phasers and etc on ours....
i picked up one of these filters for my camry on clearance last year haha
Looks well made

Have to agree with others. I would run a 10w30 or at least a 5w30 HM oil.

Still stock phasers on the engine.
xw-30 makes the engine loud (the "diesel" sound). It is the opposite of most I know.
The last few times he had the oil changed at the quick lube before I started doing it they used 5w-30 and I thought the engine was going to explode.
Since I have been using 5w-20 (GTX Syn blend twice, and the GTX HM now), the engine is very quiet, he even commented on it.

He really needs to get rid of the truck.
He needs new front suspension and steering, needs the driveshaft carrier bearing replaced, rear window leak (just need to get around to getting the butyl rope and time to do it), 2 tires, and then all this metal in the engine.
I just fixed the rear suicide door cable latches (stupid plastic keepers) on both sides.

I am trying to keep it going for him with as low a cost as possible, but if the engine goes, that's it.
I am not keen on the cost of phaser replacement, and not sure if I am up to doing it myself, so that is an additional cost.

It is almost $3000 for all the above repairs (not counting the ~$1500 already spent about 18 months ago getting it running again), and the phaser replacement (with chains, oil pump, VCT solenoid, etc)) will not guarantee no more metal (but is very likely where it is from).

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I would like to know more about this media used in the Distance Plus.

It is marketed as a synthetic media, 99.9% efficiency (@ 40 microns) and supposedly is able to hold more dirt (whatever that means) than other filters.

The media did feel a little different than cellulose and cellulose blend filters, as well as it looks a little different (hard to see on camera).

Overall it seems to be a solid filter, the only Puro made filter I will use, but would not pay full retail ($10+) for it.
I bought the ones I have when they were the $5 clearance price.
By the time they hit $3 (or less), the filter sizes I needed were all gone at all the Walmarts around me.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
I can't stand that string that Purolator puts around their filters.
Reminds me of those strings the butchers use to tie around a roast.

It does not bother me.
Like I said, I have not seen a Purolator filter with string in a few years (aside from a diesel engine filter posted here).
Was just surprised to see it on there, and still can't figure out why it is on there.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

It is marketed as a synthetic media, 99.9% efficiency (@ 40 microns) and supposedly is able to hold more dirt (whatever that means) than other filters.

The media did feel a little different than cellulose and cellulose blend filters, as well as it looks a little different (hard to see on camera).

Overall it seems to be a solid filter, the only Puro made filter I will use, but would not pay full retail ($10+) for it.
By the time they hit $3 (or less), the filter sizes I needed were all gone at all the Walmarts around me.

It does not bother me.
Like I said, I have not seen a Purolator filter with string in a few years (aside from a diesel engine filter posted here).
Was just surprised to see it on there, and still can't figure out why it is on there.

Just a guess here but I'd say it's there to help keep the pleats uniform or from folding over?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: irv

It does not bother me.

Just a guess here but I'd say it's there to help keep the pleats uniform or from folding over?
21.gif

The string is used to keep the media centered and in place until the media is potted to the end caps. They don’t bother to remove it.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: irv

It does not bother me.

21.gif

The string is used to keep the media centered and in place until the media is potted to the end caps. They don’t bother to remove it.

Makes sense.

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

Uh huh......

I want your brother to donate his engine to medical science after all this is done!

E-core on his truck E-CORE
Wix/Affinia: WIX - carquest

I have never seen an engine UTILIZE just about every single tiny bit of a filter's capacity as his is constantly doing!!!

I cut my filters open..... I don't often post them because there is nothing (seriously, no specks at all) in most of them.

His almost fills the pleats to the top!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
(this most recent isn't quite so bad)

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
... The string is used to keep the media centered and in place until the media is potted to the end caps. They don’t bother to remove it.
There were similar strings in Frams I occasionally used in the 1980s or early 90s. The equivalent Purolators (including ones labelled Kmart) I used more often did not have the string.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back