Does M1 AFE really improve mpg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with M1 Advanced Fuel Economy improving MPGs? If so, what difference are you seeing?

Depends on what you are running before you install AFE.

If you are using an ILSAC 0W30, or Mobil's own M1 5W30, you'll measure nothing.

If you are using a 15W30, you'll get a couple of percent.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Anyone have experience with M1 Advanced Fuel Economy improving MPGs? If so, what difference are you seeing?

Given the myriad variables in everyday driving that overwhelm the much smaller effect of the oil, you will never see it. It is there but it is far into the noise.

An article I linked once showed that the energy density of gasoline varies by up to 4% even at the same station. That is much more than what the oil can affect.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If you are using a 15W-40, you'll get a couple of percent.

If you are lucky.

FlyNavyP3 just ran 20W-50 in his Lexus, fuel economy didn't change any appreciable amount.

Very hard to get scientifically measure it because variations in wind, elevation changes, and speed mask the results . However, it’s been well proven on dynamometers and they they are comfortable advertising it as such. Don’t expect anything over a few percentage points.

SF

Originally Posted By: Mobil
*Savings would be based on 0.2-2.3 percent potential fuel economy improvement obtained by switching from higher viscosity oils to a 0W-20 or 0W-30 grade. Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions and your current engine oil viscosity.

I measured between a 0.5-1.0% loss of fuel economy switching from a 5w30 to a 20w50 averaged over 5,000 for each OCI. Not scientific as there's the issue of getting the tank exactly the same fill level over each fill up but averaged over 5,000 miles each time helps to increase the data points and reduce error. Even still 5w30 to 20w50 was about 0.3 MPG on a 26 ish MPG average car.

When I first bought my 2007 Ford Fusion I used M1 5-30 for two 10K OCIs. During that time(about one year) I made two trips to my sons home in Florida(900 miles one way) and it's Interstate hyw all the way. I run right at the 70 MPH speed limit. My MPG varied from 30 to 32.5. After changing to M1 0-20 my mileage has increased to 31 to 33.5 for the last 19 trips to Florida.

I'm running AFE 0w20 in the Pilot now; no difference. Also ran it last summer; no difference.

On another note, I notice the valvetrain's a little noisier with this stuff
28.gif

Last edited:
I didn't like it in my Matrix. Seemed thin, and didn't notice a significant MPG increase. Castrol Edge HM 5w20 seemed to net just as good MPG without the chatter.

Originally Posted By: tig1
When I first bought my 2007 Ford Fusion I used M1 5-30 for two 10K OCIs. During that time(about one year) I made two trips to my sons home in Florida(900 miles one way) and it's Interstate hyw all the way. I run right at the 70 MPH speed limit. My MPG varied from 30 to 32.5. After changing to M1 0-20 my mileage has increased to 31 to 33.5 for the last 19 trips to Florida.

Your engine broke in and quite well too as your history shows.

Way less than tires, weather, etc.

Best mileage in my Camry (non-hybrid, 2.4, stick shift) of 34 MPG delivered in May/June on AFE 0w30. But-but-but it was within the static between tanks. Dumped that AFE for some summer weight shortly thereafter but started using AC which pulled MPG down.

I was only running it b/c I got it cheap at AZ.

As I understand it, the advertised and claimed fuel efficiency improvement (by oil companies) attributing to adoption of low viscosity engine oil from laboratory dyno testing conditions is over a denominator of substantially lower absolute # in useful work done...
disregarding 65-70% fuel energy losses in the forms of heat, noise, air drag, tire rolling resistance etc in typical vehicular operations ,
hence magnifying 'global fuel energy saving' in percentage terms ....
skewing away from 'truth' in real terms.
JMHO.

Last edited:
I'm sure any full synthetic 0w20 is all gonna be similar in economy. Maybe the question to ask is will it really improve durability? Kinda scared me sometime back and started adding Archoil 9100 and now Liquimoly Ceratec. I think Ceratec did more for me than anything else and cold starts are super quiet even in the - 11 degrees on New Years Day.

As mentioned, very difficult to measure fuel economy improvements.

But 0w30 AFE felt lighter to my butt dino than 5w30's that I've used. Similar to the difference that a 5w20 makes but not as pronounced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back