Stalling issues with 1996 Buick Century

Status
Not open for further replies.

My son had to hit the brakes hard today to avoid an accident and told me the car shuddered really bad than stalled out. Any idea as to what would cause this?

What speed was he traveling?

Could be any number of things. I wonder if the torque converter stayed in lockup and when he locked up the front wheels to stop the engine stalled?

But that's just one of many scenarios that could have happened.

If it's not a recurring problem, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Originally Posted By: 007
My son had to hit the brakes hard today to avoid an accident and told me the car shuddered really bad than stalled out. Any idea as to what would cause this?

Can you replicate the problem? It could be air from the brake booster, or simply that all the gas in the tank surged forward and starved the pump.

GM had a rash of fuel pump failures around that time. Very frustrating. Then had to deal with LIM gaskets. Final straw was several rusted brake lines.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
TCC solenoid.

That's what I was thinking too.

That car should have the 4 speed automatic unless maybe it has the 4 cyl. It was the 3-speed that had TCC solenoid issues.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
That car should have the 4 speed automatic unless maybe it has the 4 cyl. It was the 3-speed that had TCC solenoid issues.

And it would of died as soon as he put it back in drive.

He was not at cruising speed but rather coming out of a parking lot. He told me that after it stumbled and stalled he put it in park and it started right back up.

Originally Posted By: 007
He was not at cruising speed but rather coming out of a parking lot. He told me that after it stumbled and stalled he put it in park and it started right back up.

If it was coming out of a parking lot, then i retract my TCC solenoid suggestion, those are when the torque converter locks up and then does not unlock after 50+mph.

What engine is in this buick?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back