Happy Friday all! I am pre-planning and would like some insight/opinions from the team here- more specifically, tire recs.
* I will need something A/S as they will probably go on this coming spring and will keep them on through the winter snow here in IL.
* Would like a long-ish life tire (something more than 60k for the mileage warranty).
* I don't drive in a spirited fashion, although sometimes it's fun taking corners fast- so something that won't feel like i'm driving an RV.
* Prefer something that has a decent tread and sidewall appearance (there are a ton of "ugly" tires out there).
* Cost is "prince" (king would mean really cheap) - Sub $190-200 would be perfect!
Note 1: I happily get the family discount at my local Firestone location, so I get to save some coinage compared to going to other tire shops. That being said, I would like to continue to buy Bridgestone/Firestone tires, but lately I have seen some less than attractive reviews of their tires, especially the driveguards, so I am open to other options.
Note 2: The Passat is spec'd at 235/45R18, but in playing around, I notice that there might be some better options elsewhere in 235/50R18. Has anyone gone with the 5% bump in sidewall height on the Passat? Does it look weird or come with any caveats? OR would you recommend going to a 235/40R18?