Your Favorite Diesel Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I never had a diesel car/SUV/truck or anything.

Was wondering, if you guys have any favorite diesel vehicle in last 10-20 years?

thumbsup2.gif

I rather liked my 2008 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura Auto, it had a 2.5 Diesel engine and would only give 22mog, my brother in law has a 2009 and his does 22mpg aswell!

I do have a soft spot for the 3.0 tdv6 engine as fitted to some high end PSA vehicles and all JLR vehicles. 300bhp in current guise and loads of torque.

I would like a Land Rover Discovery or Range Rover with that engine and I would keep that for years.

The older Mechanical VE pumped Cummins engines are my favs ('89-'94)

I swapped one into my F350. (I hate Dodge chassis)

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
So I never had a diesel car/SUV/truck or anything.

Was wondering, if you guys have any favorite diesel vehicle in last 10-20 years?

thumbsup2.gif

Diesel pusher Motorhome A big 7.4L turbo cat diesel and allison 6 speed makes the whole thing work the way it should.

Diesel Gensets are also amazing. They run forever and sip fuel compared to their archaic air cooled swilling gasoline brothers.

I dry camp a lot and power an entire campsite on my genset - everyone wants as close to 24x7 hot site as is possible and it ends up being me, I worked several sets of junction boxes and run 2-3 other trailers.

UD

I have a soft spot for the 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 Fords mostly because selling parts helps my paycheck. I also like the V10 Tourags, my friend's grandpa had one and from a standstill it would light the tires up through 3rd gear.

The only diesel I've owned is my tractor. 2.2L, 4 cyl of 2600rpm 41 hp fury! In NA form diesels aren't really that impressive IMO.
I did like the feel of the turbo diesel jeep Liberty I test drove though. Not fast but it built speed well. The one I drove you could hear the engine bearings make different noises depending on if you were in boost or not, and then it was leaking coolant from somewhere when I brought it back to the dealer... If they weren't junk I'd like to have one though.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Any modern Benz with a Diesel engine.

Honestly, TOP on my list in terms of vehicles which I plan to own!

Or maybe a VW Passat.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
1987 Peugeot 505 Wagon with a 2.5 liter diesel. Had seating for 8, pulled a 2,500 lb trailer all over Europe getting 22-25 mpg. Very reliable!

Another vote for the Peugeot sedan or wagon
smile.gif

Actually my fav does not exist - Jeep CJ with 5 cyl MB diesel
laugh.gif

Last edited:
1999-2003 Ford 7.3 PowerStroke diesel

1988 John Deere 510c turbo backhoe with the Deere 4045T engine

1969 International 856 with the 6.7L 6 cyl IH diesel

All of them I spent a considerable amount of time operating, all of them have a unique therapeutic sound.

I did not own this but drove my cousin's Terrano in Italy with the TD27 in it. Great little engine. Pulled well in the mountain's of Northern Italy. Had over 400k on it as well.

That Nissan engine was the engine fitted to the Fairway and TX1 London Taxis

Only replaced by the inferior 2.4 Transit engine due to emissions regulations.

Well known for the original engine to last the life of the Taxi (which is now 15years but used to be open ended so you could have 20yr old Taxis with well over half a million Urban miles on them still chugging around London.

The Terrano and identical Ford Maverick with the 2.7 lump used to get bought and stripped Form the engines by Taxi garages for the engines.

I’ve only owned one diesel, it was a 2004 VW Beetle TDI. Loved the way the car drove and handled, but the car was a steaming pile of poo as far as repairs. So it was my favorite diesel and most hated diesel. Last diesel too.

A little older than your timeframe, but, our dad had a Isuzu PUP when we were growing up. It was a 1986 small truck, he bought it in 1988 and drove it everyday to work until 1996. All he did was change the oil, it just kept going and going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back