PUP 5W30 3,429miles 2017 Mazda CX9 2.5T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit surprised to see how much a premium 5w30 has sheared in just 3 months and 3400 miles.

It's almost the same as the factory fill after 2500 miles. Was the factory fill 0w20 or also 5w30?

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Bit surprised to see how much a premium 5w30 has sheared in just 3 months and 3400 miles.

It's almost the same as the factory fill after 2500 miles. Was the factory fill 0w20 or also 5w30?

I would assume factory fill is 5w30. That's the only weight allowed per the manual for the US

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
From 435 to 385 flashpoint and low kv, anyone else smell fuel?

Not Blackstone apparently.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
From 435 to 385 flashpoint and low kv, anyone else smell fuel?

I'm sure there's some fuel. My Optima also a turbo direct injected also shears pretty good. Pretty much all UOAs I've seen new on turbo direct injection have this problem.

Why use an expensive synthetic for only 3500 miles?

If any one says "it protects better" I say Bee-Ess - PROVE IT

Just curious.....

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Just curious.....

expensive? Regular price is $25(walmart and amazon)for 5qts. walmart rollback to $22 and I got $10 rebate. built up quite a stash of PUP the last two years.
currently available from amazon but the rebate has not renewed for 2018 yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-55004520...a+platinum+5w30

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The report is OK. Good idea keeping the OCI short.

X2 on keeping it short, at least until you flush out the break-in metals and the engine settles down.

Have you considered moving up a grade maybe? If it was me, I'd use a 0w40 or maybe find a stronger 5w30 to handle duties.

Does this engine require premium fuel?

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Just curious.....

$25 for an oil change is expensive? It's a brand new $40,000 SUV.

Oh, and new oil is fresher and is loaded with fresh additives. Surely it performs better then used, worn out Lube.
27.gif

Once the wear in metals are gone, I would say this engine would be happy with the severe 5k intervals due to DI dilution.

My 6 has the non turbo motor and I run 5k but I’m in a much colder climate than the OP. Mazda considers salty roads and long trips in cold weather severe. From the manual:

-Repeated short-distance driving
-Driving in dusty conditions
-Driving with extended use of brakes
-Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used
-Driving on rough or muddy roads
-Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
-Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climates
-Driving in extremely hot conditions
-Driving in mountainous conditions continually

Last edited:
The OP has a stash of PUP, but this engine would be an excellent candidate for a Dexos1 Gen2-certified oil to combat LSPI and other TGDI issues. If he can use the PUP in another vehicle like the Tundra...

Originally Posted By: Artem

X2 on keeping it short, at least until you flush out the break-in metals and the engine settles down.

Have you considered moving up a grade maybe? If it was me, I'd use a 0w40 or maybe find a stronger 5w30 to handle duties.

Does this engine require premium fuel?

X3 on short intervals, no plans ever on extending OCI. Premium not required. Mazda only allows 5w30 for the US. Other grades allowed for Mexico.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
The OP has a stash of PUP, but this engine would be an excellent candidate for a Dexos1 Gen2-certified oil to combat LSPI and other TGDI issues. If he can use the PUP in another vehicle like the Tundra...

I still have a stash of PUP 0w40 SRT for the Tundra. Considering QSUD D1G2 5w30 or possibly T6 multi vehicle once I use up some of the PUP 5w30 stash.

If there is engine noise after the shear, Id supplement/replace 5w30 with some 5w40 PU, Maybe a qt or 2 in the sump. The shearing should lessen once you get over 20K miles.
If no noise an the thing revs up strong. Leave it as is. I use Noise and upper torque production to guide my oil grade modifications (where required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back