One Year Review of VW All Track

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I had my All Track one year. I have about 10,900 miles on it, about 3500 of which were from a trip out to Nebraska and South Dakota in October.

Pros: 1. Excellent gas mileage. On my trip where I was running between 60 and 75 mph, we averaged just over 34 mpg on mid-grade gas. On some level roads where I was just going 60 or so, I actually hit over 36.
2. This car is a real pleasure to drive. The seats are very comfortable for the driver and front seat passenger, even for long days of driving. In the back seat, we have car seats for our two grandsons and they are not crowded. Handling is superb and very sporty with a European feel to the suspension and very nimble response to small incremental adjustments to the electric power steering. The engine with direct injection is very responsive really accelerates the car very well! In addition, the car is QUIET on the road.
3. The car is very spacious inside for a small wagon with both 12 volt and 110 volt outlets in the rear cargo compartment. With the back seats down, it is very easy to haul large items.
4. Electronics are great. It is very easy to pair up an iPhone and to use the screen to run nav systems off of the phone. The diagnostic screens and info screens are very easy to access and quite informative. For example, the other day a screen told me the battery in my keyless entry key fob was in need of replacement. Stopped by the VW dealer and they replaced it free of charge. I also have the premium sound system (Fender) with a small subwoofer. It sounds great to my 70 year old ears but that is hardly a ringing endorsement!!
5. Traction in snow and ice is really great even with the all season tires it has on. I can also hit a button and have power split 50/50 between front and rear wheels to go off road which is helpful on the few occasions I run on dirt roads to go go hunting or shooting.
6. The panoramic sunroof is a really nice feature. Just having the glass exposed gives one a very open feeling without all of the wind noise of a convertible.

Cons: 1. The direct injection has led me to do synthetic oil changes at 5000 mile intervals in spite of VW's claim of 10,000 miles. Better safe than sorry. However, the car has consumed no oil between changes so far.
2. While VW says the car can be run on regular gas , I have found better mileage (1-2 mpg on average) with mid-grade Exxon. I only use Top Tier gas in the car. The car also seems to have more power and definitely runs more smoothly on mid-grade.

Overall, I am very pleased with the car. No returns to the dealer under warranty to date (never had any of my VWs back under warranty) and if you buy a new 2018, you will now get a 6 year, 72,000 mile warranty I believe. The dealer has been excellent; at my age I let them do the oil changes after 50 years on the cold cement of my garage floor doing them myself.

Bottom line: I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a sporty, dependable wagon with good all season performance and a sporty aspect.

Last edited:
Boomer,

I never drive a VW, but I always liked your review posts.

Now concerning the back space for kiddos, since it is OK side-to-side, how it is front-to-back/leg-space?

Also, how you and Mrs.Boomer are about the front chairs after a longer drive (4+hours)?
Ease of reach to give something to the kids in the back, while driving?
And your opinion on luggage space since you traveled with kids?

Much appreciated.

VW's tend to have lots of leg room for the front seat passenger and the driver as Germans are tall. I'm just under 6'3" and have plenty of leg room in my GTI. Definitely worth checking out, it might surprise you.

Good to hear the VW is working for you. I have a 2014 Audi Allroad, which is pretty similar- it too has been a pleasure to own. There are a few quirks but every car has them. No unscheduled dealer visits and no oil consumption either. I run the oil to 7k.

Nice review! The Alltrack is a really neat car. I had a sportwagen with the 4motion and DSG for a short time. Some kind of balance issue with the driveshafts caused me to sell it. Its a shame really, as it was a ton of car for the money. Probably the only thing I wished it had was a little higher ground clearance.

Thanks for the update Boomer! I had a positive ownership with my 2008 Jetta 2.5 5spd which led me to the purchase of my GTI. I recon I need to to a year update on my GTI here soon.

Sounds like a cool car. I like the way they look, sleek but still practical and not delicate looking. Basically a Euro Subaru Outback, nothing wrong with that at all. How do you like the AWD in it?

This was on our short list of cars to consider. It does look like a lot of car for the money. Part of that may be the fact it’s assembled in Mexico.

There is LOTS of front legroom but I would not want to take a long trip sitting in the back seat. It is OK but the fronts are a LOT better. You can reach the kiddies in the back seat but as with any car, you have to turn and perhaps loosen the seat belt to do so effectively. There is a lot of cargo room and even some tie downs in the back of the wagon so it is very handy for taking a trip and putting luggage in and out. It also has an opaque screen that you can pull over the luggage so nobody can see what is there.

The all wheel drive functions flawlessly in the snow and locking it into a 50-50 front rear torque split is done with a button. Really grabs the ground when you are in this mode.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
There is LOTS of front legroom but I would not want to take a long trip sitting in the back seat. It is OK but the fronts are a LOT better. You can reach the kiddies in the back seat but as with any car, you have to turn and perhaps loosen the seat belt to do so effectively. There is a lot of cargo room and even some tie downs in the back of the wagon so it is very handy for taking a trip and putting luggage in and out. It also has an opaque screen that you can pull over the luggage so nobody can see what is there.

Thank you, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back