13mm 6 point wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a 2006 Buick Lacrosse CX 3.8l with 37,000 - 38,000 miles , this last June . The dealer had the oil changed before we took delivery .

Does not appear to require Dexos oil . 3000 miles later , went to change the oil / filter , this last weekend . Took a while to locate the filter & how to get to it to remove & replace it . Then the drain plug came next .

Turns out it is 13mm . Took my 13mm 12 point combination wrench . VERY TIGHT ! Short version , ended up using my largest vice grips to loosen & remove the drain plug ( after which the hex head was pretty messed up ) .

Tried to find a 13mm 6 point wrench this last weekend . Found one , today , at Sears . Craftsman , made in China . Let us hope for the best .

Hope so . I replaced the messed up drain plug with a new one from O'Reilly . Will find out in 3000 miles .

Put Mobil dino oil in it . Bought a NAPA Silver filter which I will use next time .

Thanks , :)

I bet if you ground off the moved metal on the points the 12 pt would fit. If you rounded of the hex, then the plug was too tight. 1/4 turn past snug works with drain plugs, oil filters, and plugs

I'll give you a protip. NEVER, ever use a 12 point, unless there is a real compelling reason to do so. Amazingly, since I have done away with 12 points, I have never rounded off a nut in years. Like 10 plus years. Using a 6 point most of the time is the way to go.

Combination wrenches should not be near an oil change, in my opinion. I have used for years a 3/8 ratchet that extends to like 14 inches for extra leverage on those really tight plugs.

6-pt vs. 12-pt isn't the issue... what you want is off-corner engagement which goes by many names: Snap-On Flank Drive, Wright Grip, SK SureGrip, etc.

Most sockets, box-ends and some open-ends are manufactured this way nowadays. They'll seem a bit "loose" on the fastener and the idea is not to engage the corners of fasteners which leads to rounding/stripping.

flank%20drive-S.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I'll give you a protip. NEVER, ever use a 12 point, unless there is a real compelling reason to do so. Amazingly, since I have done away with 12 points, I have never rounded off a nut in years. Like 10 plus years. Using a 6 point most of the time is the way to go.

Combination wrenches should not be near an oil change, in my opinion. I have used for years a 3/8 ratchet that extends to like 14 inches for extra leverage on those really tight plugs.

I've never rounded a bolt with a 12 point and honestly I always used box ends during an oil change. If you have the wrench squarely seated on the drain plug, you will have no issues.

when doing oil changes I always loosen the plug with a 3/8 ratchet and the proper size 6 point socket, I then snug the plug up with the ratchet socket/and then the plug gets torqued to spec...every time.....never had a problem

Originally Posted By: Trav
+1 Never had a problem with 12pt wrenches.

How many have you used on overtorqued or "seized" bolts?

You've seen more than many of us combined is why I ask.

It only takes one or two to say "never again" in DIY land. But I have to wonder if the success associated with your claim is due to being a pro and actually using the right tool for the job?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
+1 Never had a problem with 12pt wrenches.

How many have you used on overtorqued or "seized" bolts?

You've seen more than many of us combined is why I ask.

It only takes one or two to say "never again" in DIY land. But I have to wonder if the success associated with your claim is due to being a pro and actually using the right tool for the job?

I wont even attempt using a 12pt on a bolt or nut that has a damaged or rusted slightly undersized head (very common on parts like exhaust manifolds in the salt belt).
I cant remember a time i had trouble with an over torqued fasteners, use good quality tools that fit properly and keep it square on the fastener head.

... use good quality tools that fit properly and keep it square on the fastener head.

I work in hydraulics with the many socket-head capscrews in some larger sizes. I enjoy getting friends who brag about the low cost tool set they bought and getting them to compare their wrenches vs a REAL (for me, JH Williams/SnapOn Industrial) wrench on say a 9/16 or 16mm Allen wrench in a vise. The slop will amaze you.

The other problem is in nuts from the box stores; I think they buy them specially to almost work with either metric or English wrenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back