Any sport card/memorabilia collectors on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I dabble mostly in Baseball cards but I do have some older hockey as well (Beehives) My baseball card collection is mostly made up of 52 Topps card, with just over a 100 given to me by my Father about 30 yrs ago.
I have been slowing trying to add to it when I can as a way of saying thanks to my Father. He enjoys looking at my latest pickups and I know it puts a smile on his face knowing I am trying my best to complete it.
My only hope is I can before he is gone, but it isn't going to be easy. He is now 78, soon to be 79.

What do you guys collect?

I have a binder that is pretty full of the 52 Topps that i bought at a yard sale for $5 many years ago.

I also have around 50,000 cards that i havent been though at all.

When Winn Dixie left the state of KY i was there for their clearances and I bought a 50 Gallon Trash can full of unopened packs for $50.

The goal was to give to my son or nephew at some point later in my life... But i never had either so i am really thinking of selling them.

Haven't been into baseball cards since I was a kid, but I do have a small collection of bats...really just stuff that interests me rather than things that are likely to appreciate in value.

Phil Plantier personal model (unused)
Eric Anthony game bat (his number written on the knob, very light use)
1990 Wrigley Field All Star Game commemorative bat
Michael Jordan store bat
2X Mark McGwire store bats, blems (unusual design)
Harmon Killebrew store bat (looks like his personal model)
Stan The Man store softball bat (Musial's own bat company)
Winner Hornsby style store bat (distinctive design supposedly pioneered by Rogers)
Ducky Medwick store bat (surely not authorized as Joe passionately hated that nickname)

As well as various and sundry other novelties.
The Anthony bat was actually cheaper than store bats go for now and could still be used...he was a guy who had an undistinguished career, but he once lined a shot off the back wall of the Astrodome that may have been the hardest hit ball I ever saw in person (about 10 feet foul, unfortunately for Eric). Plantier was a guy I tracked through the minors and he looked like a potential superstar for the Red Sox, but also ended up having a modest career (Bill James was very high on him if you are into baseball analytics). The Anthony bat feels like a nice weight to me, but the Plantier bat is ungodly heavy...maybe that's why he didn't use it, or maybe he was a throwback to the Ruth era of 40-50 ounce bats.

The one bad thing about bats is that they take a ton of space! Haven't bought one in maybe 5 years. My interest in baseball has also waned as I have gotten older, my daughter is a college fastpitch softball player and I honestly enjoy watching that sport more now. I could probably fashion a closet out of her worn out composite bats that we still have laying around...

Last edited:
I collected hockey cards when I was younger. So I have loads of cards from 1985 through 1993. That was when hockey cards really hit a boom and companies like Upper Deck and Score joined Topps and O-Pee-Chee in making them. Complete sets, books full of specific cards, unopened wax-boxes, and more... all just sitting in a closet.

I may have to get a new Beckett and see what they are worth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I have a binder that is pretty full of the 52 Topps that i bought at a yard sale for $5 many years ago.

When Winn Dixie left the state of KY i was there for their clearances and I bought a 50 Gallon Trash can full of unopened packs for $50.

The goal was to give to my son or nephew at some point later in my life... But i never had either so i am really thinking of selling them.

I might be interested in seeing/purchasing some/all of your 52 Topps cards, Kris. I still need quite a few but since the purchase of my wife's car, I haven't collected anything for a while now.

Glad to see there are others on here who also collect. I was/am hoping to get my son into it somewhat, but being as he is currently 16, soon to be 17, I haven't been unsuccessful due to his social life, school and girlfriend. I totally understand that so hopefully someday he takes interest so I can pass down what I inherited and collected to him just like my Father did for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

I might be interested in seeing/purchasing some/all of your 52 Topps cards, Kris. I still need quite a few but since the purchase of my wife's car, I haven't collected anything for a while now.

Glad to see there are others on here who also collect. I was/am hoping to get my son into it somewhat, but being as he is currently 16, soon to be 17, I haven't been unsuccessful due to his social life, school and girlfriend. I totally understand that so hopefully someday he takes interest so I can pass down what I inherited and collected to him just like my Father did for me.

Send me a PM if you are interested in the cards. We can communicate via FB or something that is easier to share pictures etc. I have them stored and may not be the fastest in getting back with you on your wants/needs..as they are stored at my mothers house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back