M1 TDT 5W40 5k miles 58k 2013 Kia Optima 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
4qts of TDT 5W40 + 1qt of M1 5W30. This sample was about 75% stop and go and commuting in traffic. Prior samples I would say was closer to 50%.

I've always been intrigued by this 5w40 and this report may push me from intrigued to user. Nice report.

Originally Posted By: MParr
What is TDT oil?

Quote:
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry and builder specifications:
API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4/SM, SL, SJ
ACEA E7 Issue 2
Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3
According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is of the following quality level:
CG-4
Technical details

SAE Grade 5W-40
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 40ºC 97.9
@ 100ºC 14.5
Viscosity Index 153
Phosporous (ASTM D4951) 0.11
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.95
Total Base #, mg KOH/g (ASTM D2896) 10.7
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 215

Inspite of fuel dilution , this CJ4 E7 oil is still serviceable.
Wear rate is good, and OCI could be extended.

Newer CK-4* version:

*dispite being out to the public for over a year ExxonMobil still hasn't updated the PDS on their website to the current version

Wear rates look pretty good, considering your driving conditions. Blending the TDT and M1 5W-30 doesn't seem to be having a negative impact on wear. I have been thinking of blending TDT as well, but was concerned about possible additive clash.
I was thinking of blending TDT with Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 at roughly 50/50, to get a 30 weight. I would like to use a Mobil diesel 30 weight straight out of the bottle, but no one around here really even carries Mobil Delvac 30 weight oils.
Advance Auto just started carrying Mobil Delvac Elite 10W-30, no one carries Delvac 1 ESP 5W-30 locally. I checked online, one retailer is selling it for 40 dollars a gallon.

What do you think of a TDT/ Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 blend?

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Wear rates look pretty good, considering your driving conditions. Blending the TDT and M1 5W-30 doesn't seem to be having a negative impact on wear. I have been thinking of blending TDT as well, but was concerned about possible additive clash.
I was thinking of blending TDT with Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 at roughly 50/50, to get a 30 weight. I would like to use a Mobil diesel 30 weight straight out of the bottle, but no one around here really even carries Mobil Delvac 30 weight oils.
Advance Auto just started carrying Mobil Delvac Elite 10W-30, no one carries Delvac 1 ESP 5W-30 locally. I checked online, one retailer is selling it for 40 dollars a gallon.

What do you think of a TDT/ Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 blend?

I think that should work. From what I've read you can pretty much blend anything if it's for a short OCI.

I'm blending because the TDT only comes in a 4qt bottle. Sump is supposedly 4.75 but I usually need closer to 5. Easier to empty out a 4qt container and a 1qt without having to consolidate partial empty bottles.

The standard M1 5w30 I have on hand for servicing other family vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back