This winter MPG worse than others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else getting bad MPG this winter compared to other winters? I usually drop 1-2 MPG in the cold. But this year I went from 16 to 12.5. I've been driving around watching real time states from my scanner. Nothing unusual, just bitter cold like I've never experienced. Last week it was -13F.

Mine is better than ever with winter, not as much A/C use!
crackmeup2.gif
I finally touched over 30 mpg, but my commute has been more highway lately.

You've answered your own question.
Colder temps bring reduced fuel economy.
Colder than typical winter temps bring a more than typical reduction in fuel economy.
Take heart, though.
April is less than twelve weeks away.

My gas mpg drops a lot in the winter...
It's 5 degrees outside , warm the truck up say 15 min, then the winter blend gas...
I probably get a lost of about 5 mpg...

Last edited:
I don't even want to know how bad mine has been. I'm not curious enough to measure. I would assume the usual 16-17 is down at least 5 MPG from that. Sucking down premium like it's water!

I think it was 2 winters ago when something weird happened and my winter fuel mpg went from 22 to 12 for a few weeks. My driving habits hadn’t changed and I was fueling up at a top tier station.

This was on my old F150 which had a lot of miles so maybe it was a combination of age and a bad batch of fuel.

I dont even keep track of mpg in the winter cause it drops so bad and i use remote start in the morning. Summer is 28-31 combined.

Originally Posted By: knerml
Keep in mind that winter blend gas reduces MPG.

That would be the same every year though.....this does remind me though that I need to check my tire pressure.

Well, in the Malibu using remote start and idling, I get 24. One tankful, tried it without the remote start and idling and actually got 28 mpg. In my Toys, with idling, it went from 30 to 26. Yup, winter gas = lower MPGs.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Mine is better than ever with winter, not as much A/C use!
crackmeup2.gif
I finally touched over 30 mpg, but my commute has been more highway lately.

The a/c is on just as much as the summer to keep windows from fogging. I generally just set it and forget it in the bi-level position in the cooler months.

Mine has dropped quite a bit in both dailies. The truck went from 18mpg average to 15mpg at last fill up. Same exact driving conditions, but I have been using the remote start for about 5 minutes each morning there may be frost so I bet thats a huge part.

The garage kept GTI went from 29-30mpg average to 26mpg with no remote starting just letting it idle for a minute for taking off. So yea about 3mpg noticeable in both cars.

Up north here the AC is still on by default, because when when the defrosters are on the AC is running.

Stop blaming the winter blend.
The winter blend only contains 2-3 percent less energy!

Blame the cold starts and the increased air drag!

MPG is a useless comparison between cars and trucks. Try gallons/100 miles.

Mazda6 summer mpg 38.8, winter 33.1. Sounds like a scary drop! But in G/100mi its 2.6 up to 3.0. .3 gallons over 100 miles omg the sky is falling, haha. 3 gallons over 1000 miles is nothing, for most of the US that’s a change in driving style.

I don’t even see a trend in my E450 based on temp. It has a 16ft box and the biggest determinate to my mileage is wind & speed. I have a average of 11.7G/100mi but it varies from 10.4 to 13.3-big! In MPG that’s 9.6-7.5-little!

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Up north here the AC is still on by default, because when when the defrosters are on the AC is running.

I unplug mine in the winter at the ac drier accumulator, stops the ac pump from engaging....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back