Our Sam's Club closed today

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
In Prescott Valley, Az. Daughter stopped by at 2.30 to find closed signs on the doors and employees leaving. They will have a 20% off everything tomorrow. Wife heard it on the radio, someone from Sam's is citing the higher wages for the closures. We didn't buy a lot there but found the produce, especially the fruit to be better than any other food store available to us and we'd split the large packages of household necessities with daughter/SIL. Surprising, Prescott Valley/Prescott is a major retail center for a large area.

This will probably go political and get locked even though people know better but thought I'd report it. Has anyone else had a local Sam's close?

That’s crazy! For a Walmart based business to close... I would have a tough time believing it was wages that caused it.

Possible foul play by the management or maybe a land or tax dispute?

Interesting news out of Walmart for sure. $11/hour starting wage company wide and $1000 bonus. AND closing 50-100 Sams club stores.

I have heard that they might use the closed Sams club locations as Jet and Walmart.com internet sales warehouses (they own Jet.com, which competes with Amazon.

A total of 63 Sam’s Clubs are closing but up to 260 May be affected. I think Walmart is getting out of the club business. The future is online. A number of Sam’s Clubs become regional distribution centers. This is to support the online direction they are headed in.

We have 3 in our region. All of them are closing.

The closest one to me closed. St. Louis Park, MN for anyone local. Glad I just got a Costco membership!

At 11 bucks an hour, yep, there might be closings,, but Amazon is growing,, estimated retail closers in the USA this year was estimated to be 12,000, Sears and JC Penney come to mind??

They just dropped a LOT of money remodeling ours, and the grand re-opening is this weekend. We are close to Bentonville though.

Rod

I believe there's a Costco up in Prescott, have you tried it? I find the quality and value of their products to be superior.

The Sam's Club in SA on the closure list is the 2nd nearest one to our house. We didn't shop at that location very often. We still have plenty of other locstions available here.

We've been Sam's Club members since the 80's. Costco was a very latecomer to the Deep South like Texas and Louisiana. We do have a Costco nearby but would only switch if more Sam's Club locations near us close. Neither Sam's Club nor Costco near our house have gas pumps nor will they due to City of SA legislation many years ago prohibiting any new gas stations over the Edwards Aquifer. The existing ones were grandfathered in and this was well before where we live being incorporated into the City of SA.

Heard on the local news tonight that the 7 Sam's Clubs in the Cleveland area all remain open. I think several in the Cincinnati area closed.

The Sam's Club we shop at which is less than 2 miles away has terrible lettuce, mushrooms, and other produce. Half of it always looks like it should have been thrown away days before!

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
I hope Sams Club sells all their locatons to Costco,Costco treats their employees much better!

I was wondering about that. Thought Costco pays better as is... and is always hopping.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
I hope Sams Club sells all their locatons to Costco,Costco treats their employees much better!

Oh really? Besides if you read the thread already you should know the changes WM is going through. Costco is not immune to what’s happening, they happen to have a loyal customer base. But Amazon is gaining over everyone.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I believe there's a Costco up in Prescott, have you tried it? I find the quality and value of their products to be superior.
Yeah there's one off the 69 right before you get into Prescott, right between Prescott and Prescott Valley, I used to go there all the time.

The Costco stores in our area are not affected by the minimum wage regulation because they are not about to give their employees a pay cut to comply. LOL

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I believe there's a Costco up in Prescott, have you tried it?

A Sam's corporate membership is a little perc from work so we've never tried Costco but it looks like we will.

It sounds like the employees came to work and were locked out. Nice.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Sam's Club is not wholesale anyways.....

Compared to what?

The competition. There is a reason that Sam's Club dropped "wholesale" from their logo.
See the 1990 court ruling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back