Idiots at the dmv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do these dolts have a game? [censored] Got a letter. I need to renew my license. It said to bring money,take a pic and eye test. Take a day off work. Wait hrs in line only to be told they need a birth cert. No where on the paper they eend did they mention this. Drive 30min home,get birth cert,30 min back to dmv. Wait in line.

Get back up to the counter and the same idiot dolt now wants a power bill! Spent 10 hrs doing this today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Ask for a manager.

Lol that's a good one.

This is an agency where when one counter person hands papers to another the first staples them and the second person removes the staple.

I bought my sister a car from an out of state dealer. I looked at Texas DMV's requirements for out-of-state paperwork and at the time they just wrote "it's complicated so call us."

WTH? Just spend 10 minutes to type out a paragraph so people can come in prepared.

Need a birth certificate for drivers license in CA?
lol.gif

I think it's part of some national program called Real ID for US citizens and resident aliens. In Maryland one has to provide multiple documents in order to get a driver's license. Birth Certificate, Passport, Utility Bills sent via USPS, other mailings delivered by USPS, etc. One has to provide something from a couple of different categories in order to prove that you are who you claim to be.

However, they'll hand out ID cards and non-"Real ID" driver's licenses to "undocumented" persons with minimal "proof of identity".

I got my driver's license renewed last week. Waited in line at Desk #1 while the lady at the desk dealt with complicated problems from the people in line ahead of me and told them that they were not following the DMV rules. Pretty sure they already know that. They are at DMV to get things straightened out properly. Finally, the armed security guard employed by a security company came over and asked if anyone was there for license renewal. He handed out the forms to us told us to go to Desk #2 when we were done. Then he helped out some folks trying to get their new address on their license. And took care of everyone in line. He was way more helpful than the actual employees. Frustrated people cause problems. Much better to keep everyone happy and moving along than to cause frustration and people getting unhinged.

I brought a power bill and bank statement because the DMV webpage said I needed proof of address. The lady at Desk #2 threw it back at me and told me she didn't need it. The ladies at Desk #3 and Desk #4 were very nice, quick, and professional.

I renewed both my wife's and my driver's licenses online last year. Just paid the renewal fee with a credit card and they mailed the new licenses directly to me within a week. Sorry you even had to go to the DMV to get this done. Seems antiquated.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Remember, you are in California. How much do you have to pay for the privilege of getting the runaround?
$45

That’s about the same here in WA state. $54 for standard license. $78 for the enhanced one. Good for six years.

In MA, I can renew every other time on line. Renewing registrations is a snap. Here's a clue, bring a book, some eats and comfortable shoes if you have to show up. Just like court.
grin2.gif

Ask them how someone from Mexico gets one,,,they start studdering ....yes in Tennesse you have to give several months of utility bills,but to renew after that,,do it on line

If your 16, you have to show you have good grades to qualify, your parents have to bring their bills to show you live there to,,a birth certificate and such,,amen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
In MA, I can renew every other time on line. Renewing registrations is a snap. Here's a clue, bring a book, some eats and comfortable shoes if you have to show up. Just like court.
grin2.gif

Or you can check online and see how long the line is. If you have to get plates, no way to do it online.

I am glad to know this as I have to renew my license this year. I have no idea where my BC is. Never needed anything but the old license before. I am older, so the eye test is my big worry. I haven't had any problems with the DMV staff in CA. They always did a good job in many transactions since I got my first DL. A couple of them I like a lot, very nice and helpful. I got a real crab recently, but I was nice back and she almost didn't know how to handle it. The customers are no peaches either a lot of times. I can't imagine doing that work day in and day out with a constant line of people irritated at waiting so long. It would be like working in H.

Make an appt online. No need to wait hours. I did that last time I registered a car and was literally out in ten minutes.

When my daughter moved from Az to Ca in 2008 it took 8 hours over 2 days in 2 different DMV locations to get her 2001 Saturn registered. Not including the smog testing.

When we moved from Pa to Az 3 years earlier it took 30 minutes to register the same car.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
I renewed both my wife's and my driver's licenses online last year. Just paid the renewal fee with a credit card and they mailed the new licenses directly to me within a week. Sorry you even had to go to the DMV to get this done. Seems antiquated.
they wanted a new pic and vision test

Last Friday I had to stop at the local Ohio BMV to un-register some license plates for a car I sold. Although they were busy because I stopped in at lunch time, they were fast, friendly, and courteous. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

I was so pleased with the complete transaction that I took the time when I got home to fill out a survey using a code that was on my receipt. Give them the best marks I could and thanked two of the employees by name!

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I am glad to know this as I have to renew my license this year. I have no idea where my BC is. Never needed anything but the old license before. I am older, so the eye test is my big worry. I haven't had any problems with the DMV staff in CA. They always did a good job in many transactions since I got my first DL. A couple of them I like a lot, very nice and helpful. I got a real crab recently, but I was nice back and she almost didn't know how to handle it. The customers are no peaches either a lot of times. I can't imagine doing that work day in and day out with a constant line of people irritated at waiting so long. It would be like working in H.

Make an appt online. No need to wait hours. I did that last time I registered a car and was literally out in ten minutes.
i did make an appt on line!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back