ST 5W20 selling like hot cakes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just down at my local Wally World. Had to pick up some Techron Fuel System cleaner for the Acura in signature. Some guy behind me cleared out totally the ST conventional 5W20 5quart jugs at 17 jugs overall & also grabbed three 5 quart jugs of the ST HM 5W20 to make it an even twenty jugs. We just looked at each other and smiled. I would imagine he owns or works at a small garage. I was watching him to see if he grabbed any oil filters afterwards & which brand/brands but that did not happen. I should have asked him what oil filters does he stock up on?? This is not the first time I have experienced the ST conventional 5W20 totally cleaned out while all other brands are nice & stocked up.

While not a bad price for us consumers, shops can usually get amazing prices on conventional oil.

For example, ProLine through AutoPlus or PepBoys commercial (what the difference nowadays!!!) can be as low as $1.00 a quart during promotions.

good oil that does its job at a price that doesn't break the bank; often use ST 10w-40 & 15w-40 in my 2-wheeled machines...15w-40 to thicken oil during hot weather & 10w-40 for winter storage (some riding in late fall & early spring), top off oil, or adding volume to frankenbrews (storage & flushes)

Well if you haven't noticed its looks like the oil companies are getting ready to make a big price increase on their goodies. Todays sale prices are becoming yesterdays regular pricing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat
While not a bad price for us consumers, shops can usually get amazing prices on conventional oil.

The local shops here are buying bulk Amtecol oil, blended locally but I have doubts on their quality.

Costco Business Center has some good pricing on oil - not as sweet as parts houses/stores with a shop account but [censored] close for Chevron.

Watch that shop dump the conventional into some empty synthetic labeled jugs and sell it to some poor sucker at a premium.

OR

they are simply stocking up on the cheapest Lube available at Wally World.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Hope they never discover how cheap the Harvest King 5W20 full syn is ($9.99/5 qt. jug)!

Or that the semi-synthetic (5w-20 and 5w-30) in a 5 quart jug is $6.99.

SuperTech oil is overpriced.

Havoline used to be my "stock up" oil when I could get it for 99 cents per quart. I would have to say that TropArtic, or whatever they are calling it now, is about the best bargain out there if you can find it.

Probably has a small shop. A buddy of mine is a mechanic and before he got his A/C machine last year I picked him up 24 bottles of refrigerant at Walmart. Kind of a weird sight to see.

For everyday price, ST at Walmart is usually really cheap for oil
smile.gif

For the past 2 years you could have bought PP/QSUD synthetic oils from WM for a typical after rebate price of $2.60-$2.75/qt....certainly a better deal than ST conventional at $2.50+ per quart. So far for 2018 Pennzoil is not re-instituting the $10 PP rebate. And stocking up with 3 years worth of QSUD/QS synblend/QS conventional oils for free or at most 28c/qt before rebates in November really put a smile on my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back