don't jack up trailer by suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do trailer manufacturers say this? I like to put the jack right under the equalizer. Works great assuming the trailer is chocked and you put it in the middle so it doesn't slide off. This method allows me to raise both tires at the same time.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I always just jack under the axle itself on the one tire I want to remove & replace.

I do too. I am not sure of the reasoning as the axle sees similar stresses going down the road.
Perhaps they are afraid it will slip off and someone will get hurt?

If you put it under the frame and it slips off you will have a hole in your floor. The SOP is to put it under the axle near the clamps for the springs.

probably also depends on if its got a full load or empty.

just doing maintenance its not super important as long as its in a sturdy location.

Doing a tire replacement with a max load... a little different dont want to bend anything.

Originally Posted By: Rand
probably also depends on if its got a full load or empty.

just doing maintenance its not super important as long as its in a sturdy location.

Doing a tire replacement with a max load... a little different dont want to bend anything.

By your comment I can tell you don't own a recreational travel trailer. It needs to get jacked up by the axle regardless.

Last edited:
Under the shackle plate is my choice if I can get to it. If an unloaded, light trailer the cast link between the two springs is more than adequate.

Well the easiest if you have dual wheels is to run one tire up onto a 2x4 and the other wheel will be off the ground.

If you try and jack up the frame you will lift the frame a lot taking weight off springs but may not get wheel off the ground before max lift for jack.

I jack under axle or leaf spring next to it.

I've always jacked at the axle as close to the spring as I can get.

BUT- I've also read NOT to lift by the axle because it is in itself a spring, designed to flex for camber - and therefore not the strongest of places to support a point load such as a jack. So I certainly don't put the jack anywhere inboard.

-Meep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back