Walmart raises their starting wage to $11 an hour

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could have done this long ago. At least as the countries largest employer it is a good start. Now I wonder about their Healthcare benefit.

Last edited:
And then cuts their hours even more. That makes the employee get even more state benefits, aka welfare.

This raise is also in affect because Aldi and Lidl pay that much or more, offer better benefits, give full time hours, and their prices are still lower.

Good for WM and their hard working employees. Gosh,Mr. Nice,looks like no good deed goes unpunished.

[off-topic]
WMT has a program in full swing where they pretty much cold-"emailed" a lot of US-based manufacturers for participation/collaboration
[/off-topic]

...and places order with Tesls's truck...

New PR team?

Can we re-visit this in 6 months/1 year?

Since a lot of us buy products/oil/service cars, we can see if this will improve customer service/morale/more employees available...

I wonder what percentage on walmart sales are from their own employees? 3% maybe, so perhaps the Henry Ford model of paying your employees more so they can buy your product might not cost walmart much at all.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Still well below poverty level on a single income.

You are 100% FALSE. Nice try though.

Now if a person had a family of FOUR....and only 1 adult was working, THEN you would be doing pretty poorly in many areas of the country.

Look it up.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Lowering taxes has worked in the past for the economy. Every time. Now we get the chance to see if it works, again. Interesting.

Yes, it always works.

I'm not against higher wages for employees but at the same time the "bigger picture" needs to be looked at. The higher the pay at some of these low level positions the less motivation for people to seek out better employment. The reality is, is that low income and middle income are just getting closer together. I know in the province of Ontario, minimum wage has been set to 15$ per hour. Businesses both small medium and large will be seeing an impact. The money needs to come from somewhere and don't start to think that the businesses will be willing or able to take the financial hit. The big companies wont let it affect their bottom line (read: benefit cuts, reduced hours or increased prices). If you are middle class the salaries seem to be stable or decreasing yet the lower income brackets are increasing and the rich probably just making more. The middle class get to pay more for the same thing and wont see much or any of an increase to their salaries. Meanwhile those in the lower income bracket will have more spending power which will allow them to better deal with the increase in prices of things. I feel bad for the hard working middle class... most days I don't feel very middle class at all when it comes to expenses and available income.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I wonder what percentage on walmart sales are from their own employees? 3% maybe, so perhaps the Henry Ford model of paying your employees more so they can buy your product might not cost walmart much at all.

Every employee is free to do what they wish with what they earn. They can shop anywhere they desire.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
They could have done this long ago. At least as the countries largest employer it is a good start. Now I wonder about their Healthcare benefit.

Largest private employer, yes.

The U.S. government, just federal....employs 4.5 million.

Combined U.S. government employees (Fed, State, Local) is 22 million.

Incredible.

Lowering taxes has worked in the past for the economy. Every time. Now we get the chance to see if it works, again. Interesting.

Just have to figure out how to fund the government and the building debt. It has a pesky effect of driving up deficit.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Now if a person had a family of FOUR....and only 1 adult was working, THEN you would be doing pretty poorly in many areas of the country.

Look it up.

Looks like its technically about $12,000. With $11 an hour being roughly $17k after taxes. You're right these people are so far from "poverty" they probably have in ground pools and gold statues in their yards.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Just have to figure out how to fund the government and the building debt. It has a pesky effect of driving up deficit.

Maybe you're right.

Better to raise taxes on everybody. That's always worked, right?

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: andrewg

Look it up.

Looks like its technically about $12,000. With $11 an hour being roughly $17k after taxes. You're right these people are so far from "poverty" they probably have in ground pools and gold statues in their yards.

Nobody is saying that working at Walmart is going to get you that condo in Manhattan. But facts are facts. A family of four (mother and father both working at Walmart, full time), can do pretty well in many areas of the country. To say otherwise is just negativity and a falsehood.

Good news is, this will act as a financial stimulus, because their competitors will have to match the salary increases and the money will be spent throughout the economy. Unfortunately inflation is likely to gobble up a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back