Garage Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the 4ft 2 bulb fluorescent lights. I'm shopping LED but the choices are overwhelming. I see "wraparound" etc without explanation of what all the g-whiz description is about.
Can you guys give me some suggestions on where, what and why so I can narrow my search.
It seems the older I get the more light I need and boy do I feel old lately.

Thanks Smoky

There is a bunch out there but it is confusing. I found a 4' work like at Costco for $19 It is LED and had very good light output. I took down my 4' florescent that was over my work bench and replaced it with that. You can even daisy chain them if you want. I figure when my 8' lights go in my garage that is what I will replace them with. But by then there will probably be more options available and less expensive.

If you can do a bit of wiring get the bulbs that eliminate the ballast in the fixture. LED bulbs are fairly directional so they're doing things to get the light to spread out. I've seen different names for the same idea.

I recently updated my garage lights. I have three fixtures on the ceiling, two have 4 tubes (4 ft) each, and the third fixture has 2 tubes. My issue is that the ballasts are lazy in winter. I did not choose to get new ballasts, they are expensive and temp range is not good. My final choice was direct-wired LED tubes. I cut all ballasts off, and rewired them according to the LED tube instruction. Not difficult, but obviously time is needed to rewire and make sure they are correct. I am happy with the outcome, and in extreme cold temps this past week, I have full lights in garage.

Honestly, for cost and light output...

It's REALLY hard to beat T-8 fixtures.

The shop lights and a big box of (24 qty?) T-8 bulbs don't cost much at walmart.

The older T-12's are getting obsolete fast.

Originally Posted By: windeye
I recently updated my garage lights. I have three fixtures on the ceiling, two have 4 tubes (4 ft) each, and the third fixture has 2 tubes. My issue is that the ballasts are lazy in winter. I did not choose to get new ballasts, they are expensive and temp range is not good. My final choice was direct-wired LED tubes. I cut all ballasts off, and rewired them according to the LED tube instruction. Not difficult, but obviously time is needed to rewire and make sure they are correct. I am happy with the outcome, and in extreme cold temps this past week, I have full lights in garage.

This is what I've done-have over 40 now and love them
https://www.ebay.com/itm/T8-LED-Tube-Light-4ft-18W-Milky-Cover-100-240V-120cm-3000K-4000K-6000K-10-25pack/122373359305?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=422855399142&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Any links to the products you used?

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I need to replace the 4ft 2 bulb fluorescent lights. I'm shopping LED but the choices are overwhelming. I see "wraparound" etc without explanation of what all the g-whiz description is about.
Can you guys give me some suggestions on where, what and why so I can narrow my search.

Thanks Smoky

Smoky...if you're able to ride a 1200 Suzy, you are still a young man! I used to ride bikes but had to go with 3 wheelers due to age.

BTW, thanks for asking a question about a product I didn't even know existed. After reading the replies, I know what to replace my 4 footers with.

+1 the LED bulbs or fixtures at Costco. Cheap and bright. also IMO I have found the FEIT brand LED's are consistently good quality

I have read too many issues about reliability with LED tube replacements.

I'd suggest sticking with the fluorescent tubes, but get them in 5000K for daylight color. And when you turn them on, leave them on for as long as you can tolerate. They aren't meant to flip on and off like an incandescent, so if you leave them running then they tend to last quite a while without losing brightness.

One of my three fixtures stopped working and it was a ballast problem. Like you found, replacements are expensive so I installed direct wire LEDs. Brighter for less wattage. In fact, 1 led tube has similar output to 2 fluorescent.

When the ballast went out on my 8 ft tubes I put in a few single sockets and used some spare CFL bulbs.

When these go out I’ll probably use LED single bulbs. I think it’s a good cheap solution

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001

When these go out I’ll probably use LED single bulbs. I think it’s a good cheap solution

If your state PUC subsidizes the edison base LEDs but not the shop lights it can make sense.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14

Thanks Smoky

Costco sells 4 foot LED "drop-in" replacement bulbs that are, in practice, quite bright. The Phillips bulbs sold by Homeless depot are not as bright, regardless of specs.

I purchased some 4000K LED's from Amazon made by Hyperikon. The are the type that requires ballast removal. Also quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back