How/Why The Pleats Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
"pressure differential"

And "surface area"

The wider pleats have a greater horizontal component of surface area....
The narrower pleats have a greater vertical component of surface area (column strength!)

It's easy to punch your fist through a piece of 1/4" drywall... on the surface (but not on edge)

In a pressure situation whats gonna tear, a metal end cap or the paper media glued to it? The paper. Near the metal end cap where the greatest stress occurs.

In a pressure situation whats gonna tear, a paper end cap or the paper media glued to it? Neither. Both papers will flex and bend sharing the stress.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
"pressure differential"

And "surface area"

The wider pleats have a greater horizontal component of surface area....
The narrower pleats have a greater vertical component of surface area (column strength!)

It's easy to punch your fist through a piece of 1/4" drywall... on the surface (but not on edge)

I once pushed a coworker through the drywall in our office while we were horsing around...luckily we had a couple of guys who were good at fixing drywall, I took care of the painting as I had a lot of experience with that. Only bad thing it was a very long wall and I painted the whole thing rather than mess around with trying to blend it...lost most of a Saturday to pay for acting like little boys!

1. The wide pleat spacing near the seam creates a point(s) of maximum stress.
2. Weak brittle media.
3. Use conditions
a) DP across the filter element increases as the filter loads up with dirt.
b) Cold oil has a high viscosity. The viscosity increases with decreasing temperature. DP across the filter element will be higher with cold oil than hot oil.
c) User revs the engine during cold starts. DP across the filter element will be higher at high RPMs.
d) Lack of maintenance: if the bypass valve is slow opening due to varnish or other deposits, then additional stresses can be applied to the media.
e) Choice of oil weight: Using an oil weight greater than what is specified for the engine.

Combine all these factors and it is not difficult to see why the pleats can and sometimes do tear.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
1. The wide pleat spacing near the seam creates a point(s) of maximum stress.
2. Weak brittle media.
3. Use conditions
a) DP across the filter element increases as the filter loads up with dirt.
b) Cold oil has a high viscosity. The viscosity increases with decreasing temperature. DP across the filter element will be higher with cold oil than hot oil.
c) User revs the engine during cold starts. DP across the filter element will be higher at high RPMs.
d) Lack of maintenance: if the bypass valve is slow opening due to varnish or other deposits, then additional stresses can be applied to the media.
e) Choice of oil weight: Using an oil weight greater than what is specified for the engine.

Combine all these factors and it is not difficult to see why the pleats can and sometimes do tear.

What if an engine was built from 1997-2008, and in 1997 said engine was spec'd 5W30? Then, in 2000, said engine is now spec'd to use 5W20, BUT, the tolerances and clearances NEVER changed in said engine all of those years it was built. The owner wants to use 5W30 in said 2007 engine. Will the oil weight that is greater than what is spec'd cause the pleats to tear?
The same name brand (MC FL-400S) oil filter that was used in 1997 is still being used in 2008, and said engine uses/used that filter all the years it was built.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
What if an engine was built from 1997-2008, and in 1997 said engine was spec'd 5W30? Then, in 2000, said engine is now spec'd to use 5W20, BUT, the tolerances and clearances NEVER changed in said engine all of those years it was built. The owner wants to use 5W30 in said 2007 engine. Will the oil weight that is greater than what is spec'd cause the pleats to tear?

Only if the filter is a piece of junk.
laugh.gif

Going from 5W-20 to 5W-30 shouldn't matter. The difference in viscosity at full engine temp is negligible in terms of delta-p across the filter.

If you went from 5W-20 to 20W-50 and did some high cold start engine revs, then yes a weak filter might tear. A well build filter will stil survive.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Have there been more tears in cold climates vs warmer climates?

Cold weather use is going to push weak filters closer to the failure point.

Any well designed and strong filter should never fail in any operating conditions thrown at it.

BOF - ZeeOSix is spot on.

Yes he is.
And, I want all of those out there to read my response about the engine made from 97-08. When you start babbling about how an engine spec'd 5W20 CAN'T use 5W30, get ALL of the facts about the engine first! Then, you won't look so foolish when you're corrected!
Thank You Z06.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Yes he is.
And, I want all of those out there to read my response about the engine made from 97-08. When you start babbling about how an engine spec'd 5W20 CAN'T use 5W30, get ALL of the facts about the engine first! Then, you won't look so foolish when you're corrected!
Thank You Z06.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

There is not much difference between 5W20 and 5W30 at temperatures less than freezing which is where this counts.

Yes he is.
Thank You Z06.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

There is not much difference between 5W20 and 5W30 at temperatures less than freezing which is where this counts.

WO, that is true as well.
BUT, you still have those 5W20 FREAKS that have blinders on and think just because an engine is spec'd 5W20, that it should/better be 5W20 in that engine!
I fear the day that I suddenly look in my rear view mirror and see the 5W20 Police in hot pursuit to pull me over!
crackmeup2.gif

I fear the day that I suddenly look in my rear view mirror and see the 5W20 Police in hot pursuit to pull me over!
crackmeup2.gif

Watch out for the Tearolator Police though !!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back