Differing Oil Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2017 Buick Envision. Nice car, great deal. Surprisingly made in China with 98% Chinese parts content. Engineered and designed in Detroit. Here's my question. The owners manual plainly states to use Dexos 1 5w30 with AC Delco Syn Blend recommended.On the engine fill cap it states Dexos 5w20. Dealer says all they stock is 5w30. What weight do you think is best?

2.5 liter 4 cyl engine with 197 hp. Interestingly, have the same engine and drive train in my 2009 Malibu and it takes plain old dino 5w30 and doesn't use a drop.

It will not make a difference which visc you use. The 5W-30 will be fine.

I'd recommend to go with the owner's manual. I'll bet the writing on the cap has no legal standing for your warranty. You might check the forums to see if anyone else had the issue.

Regarding the Chinese made car, it seems to be a first as far as I know. Does the President of the United States know about this?

SF

Originally Posted By: 3putter
Just bought a 2017 Buick Envision. Nice car, great deal. Surprisingly made in China with 98% Chinese parts content. Engineered and designed in Detroit. Here's my question. The owners manual plainly states to use Dexos 1 5w30 with AC Delco Syn Blend recommended.On the engine fill cap it states Dexos 5w20. Dealer says all they stock is 5w30. What weight do you think is best?

2.5 liter 4 cyl engine with 197 hp. Interestingly, have the same engine and drive train in my 2009 Malibu and it takes plain old dino 5w30 and doesn't use a drop.

The 2.0 Turbo takes 5w30. The 2.5 takes 5w20.

Can you check your manual to see if that's the distinction?

Copy & paste for the rescue:

Viscosity Grade
Use SAE 5W-20 viscosity grade
engine oil for the 2.5L L4 engine.
SAE 0W-20 may be used as an
alternative.
Use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade
engine oil for the 2.0L L4 turbo
engine. In an area of extreme cold,
where the temperature falls below
−29 °C (−20 °F), an SAE 0W-30 oil
may be used. An oil of this viscosity
grade will provide easier cold
starting for the engine at extremely
low temperatures.
When selecting an oil of the

source -
http://www.buick.com/content/dam/Buick/n...al-2ndprint.pdf

I'd use 5W20 stating Dexos 1 gen 2.
The Chinese bought 990K Buicks last year. It's a popular brand in China. The average annual wage in the prefecture where it's manufactured
is the same as the cheapest buick a Chinese can buy new. It's not poverty central everywhere in China.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
Just bought a 2017 Buick Envision. Surprisingly made in China with 98% Chinese parts content.

Wow... Interesting

Bad translation?
mad.gif

My friend's Odyssey says 5W30 on the cap but 5W20 in the owner's manual. The quick lube she goes to uses Castrol 10W30 hm (it's written on the oil change sticker). I changed it for her one time with PP 5W20 and it ran so much smoother. I think it has around 230,000-240,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My friend's Odyssey says 5W30 on the cap but 5W20 in the owner's manual. The quick lube she goes to uses Castrol 10W30 hm (it's written on the oil change sticker). I changed it for her one time with PP 5W20 and it ran so much smoother. I think it has around 230,000-240,000 miles on it.

M1 0-20 would be a great choice as it has the spec and will protect the engine quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back