Blower motor squeak

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2015 Camry there is a squeak that matches the frequency of the blower fan speed. It's not always there, comes and goes. Started a couple months ago. I pulled the blower motor and don't see anything amiss. From what I understand, it's a sealed unit so can't oil the bearing. This is what it looks like: https://www.carid.com/tyc/front-hvac-blo...oUaAlC0EALw_wcB

Replacement blower motor ranges from $45 to $130 for what looks like the same thing of perhaps varying quality.

Talked to my local mechanic while I was getting tires and he was surprised the blower fan would malfunction and suspected debris but I don't see any debris. Same squeak with or without the cabin filter in place.

Any tips to troubleshoot this?

I have never had a Toyota fan motor go bad. But I have had trash get in them several times. Since it is squeaking, me thinks it needs lubrication which you stated cannot be done since it is a sealed unit. All my fan problems have been whirring, clicking, etc from stuff hitting the blade. Can you leave the fan motor out but still attached to electricity for a few days and wait for the squeak? At least you would be able to identify exactly where it is coming from. That's what I would do if it is possible.

You can still lube it a little.... it's not sealed like the International space station.

I think Zoom Spout Turbine Oil would be worth a try.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Have you replaced the cabin air filter recently? Any air fresheners clipped to the vents?

I replaced the cabin filter not that long ago. I was thinking there was a correlation; that's why I pulled the filter to see if the squeak was still there. It was. So, it's not the filter itself. Nothing clipped to the vents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gebo
I have never had a Toyota fan motor go bad. But I have had trash get in them several times. Since it is squeaking, me thinks it needs lubrication which you stated cannot be done since it is a sealed unit. All my fan problems have been whirring, clicking, etc from stuff hitting the blade. Can you leave the fan motor out but still attached to electricity for a few days and wait for the squeak? At least you would be able to identify exactly where it is coming from. That's what I would do if it is possible.

The weather has moderated so I can do without proper airflow for a few days to try and troubleshoot.

The Escalade had that noise. Automatic climate control made the fan turn too slow or at a speed which there was noise. There was a problem with the blower motor resistor. I replaced the blower motor resistor, problem was gone. Gone likely because the fans were turning at a different, faster (or slower) speed.

Also, my Dad's 2012 Camry had a recall for a mildew issue in the vents. They had to cut a hole or change a drain, forget which. That would surely impact the aluminum resistor fins protruding in the lower area of the duct system. They would get surface corrosion, as they are bare metal. I would take that off and inspect, maybe just replace it. Should not be an expensive part, easy replacement. Should be near fan.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Any tips to troubleshoot this?

Take this FWIW, but I have this issue on the Jeep- it started when it first got below freezing here. I would cycle the climate control on/off to no avail. Couldn't figure out what the heck it was- cabin filter had just been replaced too.

I then got my VW on 12/29, driving home in the cold & snow from the dealership and the same [censored] noise as the Jeep started. It bothered the [censored] out of me that two cars did the exact same thing, so I started playing around with the climate control. I thought to myself that it had to do with the frigid temps, so I took the outside (cold) air out of the equation. I hit the button to circulate the inside air and after about a minute of the warm air returning through the blower, the noise went away. Got home, took the Jeep for a spin, did the same thing, and it worked. It is definitely not ideal as the windows get fogged up pretty darn quick, but helps a bit to run it every few minutes to keep the blower somewhat warm.

Give it a try and see if it helps for you as well. I am just not sure of the permanent solution at this point.

typical for this to happen more when a blower fan is cold and the bearings have some wear. Pull it apart & oil it the best you can, or live with it. It could last a while longer, like several years. Aftermarket replacements are hit and miss. I put a cheapo in a van not long ago and it had a nasty motor whine that was too pronounced at lower speeds to enjoy.

Originally Posted By: meep
typical for this to happen more when a blower fan is cold and the bearings have some wear. Pull it apart & oil it the best you can, or live with it. It could last a while longer, like several years. Aftermarket replacements are hit and miss. I put a cheapo in a van not long ago and it had a nasty motor whine that was too pronounced at lower speeds to enjoy.

I bet a silicon spray would work good. A lube without attracting too much dust. Good idea may try that

Bearing has gone dry. You can try lubricating it, probably wouldn't last or simply replace it.Not many options here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back