Fixed dishwasher problem with CLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ancient Whirlpool dishwasher that started coating the dishes with black particulates. I cleaned the filter as well as possible, no improvement. Then, I remembered an experienced landlord suggested running a cup of CLR thru any dishwasher experiencing problems. I used a half cup of CLR, no other soap, and a hot wash.

Problem solved, the dishes are sparkling and the inside of the dishwasher looks cleaner. Cost about $5.25 for a 28 ounce bottle. No idea what is in CLR, but it seems to be a good cleaner for dishwashers.

FYI

I run white vinegar through the dishwasher and washing machine in a manner like you mention. Just do it when I think of it, maybe every few months. I think it helps keep things clean and functional.

Using rinse aid helps too, it keeps hard water deposits from building up.

CLR is hard on seals, and expensive - but works

Vinegar is a little easier on seals and much cheaper can get it anywhere

Lemi Shine, or citric acid works great as well - fairly cheap in bulk - can restore chalky white to pristine in one wash.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audios
Are you just adding the clr to the detergent tray? Same thing with the vinegar?

I just dumped the CLR into the dishwasher bottom and hit start. So easy even I can do it.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Best dishwasher additive = girlfriend

I am the one in our house who re-arranges dishes so they all are in a position to get a good blast of wash water during the wash cycle. Wife and daughter just fill dishwasher sometimes putting one pot on top of another pot.

I have taken the water drain/inlet apart before and found the screen almost plugged with gunk. Cleaned it good and got pressure back.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
after she reads this.... ex-girlfriend

After she reads this, Queen. You, cleaning up after yourself..

CLR continues to eat away at the concrete in the garage where it spilled, and the fake wood particle board shelf it was placed on. Bad stuff, removed from the house.

I buy citric acid in bulk, 20 lbs for $40 from ebay. Mostly for cleaning the water softer. It is the active ingredient in the rust clearer salts.

Also use it for cooking to reduce sweetness, aka lemon juice, as a cooling system cleaner and rust remover from metal.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I am the one in our house who re-arranges dishes so they all are in a position to get a good blast of wash water during the wash cycle. Wife and daughter just fill dishwasher sometimes putting one pot on top of another pot.

I do the same thing. Isn't it crazy how they just throw stuff in a dishwasher and say it's not working when things don't get clean. I guess it's the difference between Mars and Venus.

We don't use our dish washer often, but do use a little citric acid when we do. I keep the citric acid around for cleaning brass.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Originally Posted By: Donald

I do the same thing. Isn't it crazy how they just throw stuff in a dishwasher and say it's not working when things don't get clean. I guess it's the difference between Mars and Venus.

Haha missed that - Im constantly fiddling wit the load to get more in, and get a better wash - I can routinely get a bunch more in than the rest of the household.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back